30amp to 50amp 3670BH

StephenKatSea

We have our BH3670 on a semi permanent site. This site is 30amp. Therefore, we use a 50 to 30amp "pigtail". Have noticed scorching/some melting at the base of one the male prongs on the pigtail -5 o'clcok position when looking straight on the plug). Our 5er has been at this site for 12 mos, but shore-power is only connected about 1/2 the time (only when we are present). No loss of power or breakers tripping. Amperage of power provided by the park will not change. Is there something we can do on, our end, to make this situation better and SAFER?

Last edited:

hoefler

Depending on whether you are looking at the receptacle or the plug, that could be the hot wire. If it is the common lug, you most likely have a loose connection on the receptacle. The wire going to could be loose, the pedestal is has undersized wire, improperly wired, etc.., the contacts inside could be corroded or loose as well. Also check that the connections inside your breaker box are tight too. Usually you will see this on the hot lug from trying to pull too much through it. Real common when adapting down from a 50 amp plug to a 30 amp. I attached a link that shows the wiring diagram for 30 amp service.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing to consider if you only have your power hooded up 1/2 the time is to be sure to turn off the breaker before plugging in or unplugging.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As mentione by hoefler, it sounds like a loose connection. Loose contact causes overheating, arcing and can damage electronic components in your rig. Ask you park management to check inside the pedestal box. The ped may even need a new receptacle. Are you using surge protection? Also remember to always have the breaker in the OFF position when connecting or disconnecting the plug from the pedestal.
On edit, I see cookie has faster fingers than I do.

Jimmy

Sounds like the copper blade receiver on the receptacle has "unsprung" and is not making good contact. Either replace the receptacle or TURN POWER OFF and take apart to squeeze the female prongs back together. Make sure to wire brush both male and female blades, and remove any "weld" from previous arching. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I had this problem on my old 5ver which was a 30 amp unit, we also see lights flicker once and a while. Turned out it was the hot lead on the back of the pedestal. The CG had used crimp on connector under the screws, and there was only about 1/4 in. left of the connector under the screw head. Had the connection repaired and and the lights quite flickering, and the plug was not getting hot anymore. Have the pedestal checked.