Expecting too much from AC ???

Rodbuster

Hello,
I just took delivery of a 2012 Key Largo 3 days ago. It's our very first RV.
I got it home and I've been opening drawers and closets doors, crawling in storage spaces and doing everything I can think of to really check it out.
I live in central Florida and it's been pretty hot the past few days. I don't know if I'm expecting too much, but the AC does not seem to be cooling the unit enough. I have pretty cool air coming out the vents but it just does not seem cool enough. The AC has been running for 6 hours without shutting off. There is a noticable difference when you step into the unit from the outside, but after being in the unit for about 20 minutes, you feel "warm".
Am I doing something wrong or "am I expecting too much?".

Thank you
Rodbuster

Rickhansen

Rodbuster,
Congrats on the new rig. It, like our 3670, is big and therefore takes a lot to heat and cool. The standard A/C is 15,000 btu. Did you get the optional front A/C? If not, I assure you that over 90/sun/and humid, you will not cool the rig to what many would consider comfortable. The rule of thumb is that the A/C should drop the temperature about 15 degrees from the return to the discharge. Also, make sure you are running the fan on High speed. It's easier on the compressor, and keep the coil from frosting up. The fan noise can get annoying though.

We spent 3 years in Florida in ours, and both A/C's will run continuously during the heat of the day, which as you know is from 10AM to 7PM in Florida in the summer.

My first recommendation is add the bedroom A/C. Second, search the forums for "Tent in the Vent" posted by TimK about 4 years ago - it helps the ducted A/C airflow.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you live in Florida I think you are expecting too much from one AC. I live in Wisconsin and have two. But we like it pretty cool. In really hot weather they both are on during the day. When the hot sun goes down we switch to one.
Another help would be if you had dual pane windows.

Peace
Dave

Brandon.Prewitt

One thing I did wrong was not notice on the air intake there is a vent that blows hard and cold . . . . . . . as long as you open it.

Does yours have this.