State Map Stickers - Rules & Regulations

SilverRhino

Many people are using the maps of the United States and Canada in their signatures......and I'm sure the numbers will continue to grow. For those using or planning on using these maps, it is important that you fully understand the rules and regulations regarding the proper use of these markers.

Annotated code for StateMarking Stickers Map
(Federal Highway Administration and DOT guidelines)

Section A: Rules of state markings

Subsection 1: Per DOT guidelines and the Federal Highway Administration persons with state sticker maps onCampers/RV's must have slept in that state in their camper for a minimum of 7 hours to qualify for a sticker for said state. Hook-ups are not needed only thedriver must sleep in the Camper/RV for the said time.

Subsection 2: Persons can qualifyfor a state sticker by sleeping in a state approved rest area, chain store parking lot ( Wal-Mart ), grocery store or designated truck stop. In remote locations the side of the road will qualify. Persons wishing to qualify for said state sticker must also adhere to Subsection 1 of the annotated code ofstate marking stickers.

Subsection 3: Persons wishing to challenge the rulings of the code for sticker qualification can submit in writing to:

Department of Transportation
1234 Independence Ave
Washington DC

Please state the reason you feel you should qualify, attach a picture of the location in which you stayed and submit it on a DOT form 8745 with a self addressed envelope. Please allow 36 to 40 weeks for processing your claim.

Did not come up with this on my own.....Saw this listed on another site and thought it was worth sharing.......

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
So how much of our tax money is spent making sure that people are actually sleeping in a certain state for 7 hours.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is funny. As far as I am concerned if I stepped foot in a state I have been there and the sticker goes on. There are some states that I have no desire to sleep in. LOL

Moose

This is a joke . . . . . right?

The part that makes it seem real is the 36 to 40 weeks to process. LoL

bradforx

Could someone tell me what website I need to visit so I can create an updated states/provinces visited .jpg.
Thank you.

PhotoPete

Our map only indicates places we have actually camped. If I were to mark off every state I have passed through or slept in, it would be full. For the record, I fully plan of filling my map camping. Hopefully within the next several years.

PhotoPete

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We count ANY state that the coach (TT before) has been in...whether we slept, ate, camped, etc.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
[h=3]LOL

On a serious note here are the topics that the DOT actually gives a crap about.

Go to this website and do a search: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrguide.aspx?section_type=A

All Regulations found containing "RV Camper":[/h]
§ 571.3Definitions.
§ 571.108Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
§ 571.110Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less
§ 571.120Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
§ 571.205Standard No. 205; Glazing materials.
§ 571.205(a)Glazing equipment manufactured before September 1, 2006 and glazing materials used in vehicles manufactured before November 1, 2006
§ 571.208Standard No. 208; Occupant crash protection.
Interpretation for § 395.1Scope of rules in this part.

<tbody>
<th class="LeftTableHeadFMCSA" scope="col">Part</th><th class="LeftTableHeadFMCSA" scope="col">Regulation </th>
</tbody>

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
LOL

On a serious note here are the topics that the DOT actually gives a crap about.

Go to this website and do a search: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrguide.aspx?section_type=A

All Regulations found containing "RV Camper":

§ 571.3Definitions.
§ 571.108Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
§ 571.110Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less
§ 571.120Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
§ 571.205Standard No. 205; Glazing materials.
§ 571.205(a)Glazing equipment manufactured before September 1, 2006 and glazing materials used in vehicles manufactured before November 1, 2006
§ 571.208Standard No. 208; Occupant crash protection.
Interpretation for § 395.1Scope of rules in this part.

PartRegulation

Well I couldn't get the search results to paste over but you can do a search for RV and it will bring up a list. Not a very big list all things considered

olcoon

That is funny. As far as I am concerned if I stepped foot in a state I have been there and the sticker goes on. There are some states that I have no desire to sleep in. LOL

I'm sorry to say that there are some states I don't want to even go through, let alone sleep there for 7 hrs! I don't want to risk offending anyone, so I won't say which ones.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If we have been in a state it counts as far as I am concerned. We have driven 100 miles or more to visit a state just to be able to put it on the map. That is how we do it and that is why we even have Alaska and Hawaii. I would put on Japan (military) but dont have the stick-on. After all it travel what we are talking about? That is our system.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jim,

I guess it is really about what you are tracking, and I guess I do the same thing - there are states that I have not yet even driven through and then there are some that I have not camped in ( even over night ). But with many things - it's all about what the individual wants to track - after all this all for our own personal enjoyment no matter what we track!

Happy Travels

Kevin

SilverRhino

I noticed that this post has popped up again......I'm not sure that everyone understood that this was meant only for a LAUGH :D this was in no way ever meant to have any actual validity!