Owner/Operator service for the Dometic external unit

TxCowboy

My 32RL didn't come with a an owner manual for the Dometic a/c unit. As far as I can tell, about the only interior item that is owner-serviced is the occasional cleaning or replacement of the interior filter.

I'm particularly interested in exterior unit. What, if anything, needs to be owner-serviced and how frequently?

BTW, it's the 15.5K unit.

Thanks!

hoefler

There is nothing that is serviceable by the consumer other than the filter. You can remove the cover to clean out any wasp nest that may grow on the fan blade or evaporator. You will know if you have a nest if it vibrates when running.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As mentioned by hoefler, you can remove the outer cover to clean things up there. You can also remove the shroud on the condenser and hose off the coils to remove any dirt or dust that has accumulated. Other than that, I don't know of any other user related service areas. Maybe look for a way to lube the shaft for the fan motor??? Also make sure the drain holes are clear so the pan can drain freely.

TxCowboy

Thanks for the replies, all, and the link to the website. I'll try to locate the correct manual and post it to the HOM site.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
My 32RL didn't come with a an owner manual for the Dometic a/c unit. As far as I can tell, about the only interior item that is owner-serviced is the occasional cleaning or replacement of the interior filter.

I'm particularly interested in exterior unit. What, if anything, needs to be owner-serviced and how frequently?

BTW, it's the 15.5K unit.

Thanks!

I have mine serviced yearly. Turn off the AC and service the heater...the reverse in the spring. The coil and fins need to vbe serviced properly by an RV professional. Hosing them off with water just won't get the job done. They spray some chemical on the cooling fins and it's good for an extra 10 degrees when it's cooling. This gunk builds up on the coils, etc and will make you think your AC unit has failed.

wdk450

I have mine serviced yearly. Turn off the AC and service the heater...the reverse in the spring. The coil and fins need to vbe serviced properly by an RV professional. Hosing them off with water just won't get the job done. They spray some chemical on the cooling fins and it's good for an extra 10 degrees when it's cooling. This gunk builds up on the coils, etc and will make you think your AC unit has failed.

Here's a link to some Air Conditioning cleaning chemicals, I have also seen this stuff at appliance parts stores:
http://www.mainsupplies.com/index.p...6ff9be16cc85&gclid=CLzI5oXgq6oCFaYZQgodf2EhVw

You may want to spend the money to have a professional do this as you need to put down drop cloths inside for all the dripping and the roof will me (more) slippery from the detergents and rinse water.