Earthquake in VA

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hope everyone is ok in VA!!! There was a 5.9 quake after 2 pm today northwest of Richmond.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We are approximately 40 miles from epicenter, the ground definitely moved but thankfully all is well in our area. We had a much lighter aftershock about an hour ago (8:00 PM EST).

jnbhobe

My daughter texted my from Fredericksburg,Va. She said she had things falling off her office walls and desk. Grandaughter is happy the first day of school is canceled.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I talked with my son who is an executive chef in Richmond. His comment was "that was reeaal interesting". He had to do an emergency shut-off of the gas and evacuate everyone out of the building. Said pots and pans went flying everywhere.

Last edited:

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Glad to hear all of your loved ones are ok. Our youngest lives on Long Island and didn't feel anything...however, a group of people he works with were in Manhattan for a meeting and felt a little bit of shaking. Strange how wide spread this whole thing was!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We are glad all our VA friends are safe.While I did not feel it alot of folks here in NC did.No damage here but created alot of talk.

Uncle Rog

I have not been here for a while but could not resist this thread.........
I have lived in Kalifornia my entire life. I was talking with an associate who works in DC and lives in Virginia.
He is also a Kalif native. We talked about the quake, he laughed and said it was a way to go home early, the folks were as scared as we would have been about a tornado. Still glad nobody got hurt.
I have a 40' earthquake kit parked out front, supplied for 6 weeks..................

porthole

Retired
We were camping in south Jersey, sitting in the chairs under the awning. Chairs started swaying back and forth then noticed the trailer doing the same. Our older Golden woke me up around 6am. Found out later there was a tremor around the same time.