Exploding Bugs

Gaffer

Well sort of. DW has a thing about bugs and about gas. She wants to set off a bug bomb in the trailer but is afraid that it will blow up. We don't use the oven so the pilot light is not lit. I tried to tell her that the furnace has no pilot light and that the water heater flame is outside. She insists that I ask you all if it is safe to set off the bug bomb. So despite how silly I feel for making this post, I am asking for advise. Other than a shrink of course.
PJ

Manzan

It is safe as far as explosions are concerned. Follow the directions on the bomb and open cupboard doors and drawers. Remove food and bedding. Extend slides. Afterwards, air out the trailer thoroughly before going in to stay. Wash all food prep surfaces thoroughly along with table tops, anything that food or something that might go in your mouth might touch. If you have a bug problem, make sure any place you know them to be is unobstructed to allow the insecticide to do it's job. I worked for 42 years in a store that sold them--never had any problems other than with furniture polish. Tended to soften fresh furniture polish.

RollingHome

Since you or your pets can't be in the coach when you bomb the bugs, why not turn off the LP, turn off the shore power and disconnect the 12 volt house battery ? Better to be safe then sorry. People have blown up homes with bug bombs so it can happen. Have you tried electronic bug chasers which plug into a 120 volt outlet, they do seem to work. There also is a myriad of natural repellants such as red pepper and other things that a GOOGLE search will show.

wdk450

Besides all of the possible ignition sources elimination suggested before this post, ONLY USE 1 CAN (OR THE AMOUNT RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR INTERIOR AREA)!!!!
Most of the explosions have come from dumbbells who decided to do "a really good job" with 3 or more of these at once. And of course, air everything out well to both reduce the insecticide toxin level and the explosive gasses level. If you have roaches or ants, the "bait" type of poison woulld be generally less toxic, but would take longer to work. Maybe you can use baits after the fogger to ensure complete elimination.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I've never used the bomb type cans. That stuff gets on everything. I always use the aerosol type roach/insect spray cans. Spray it where i will not be putting food or touching my hands all over it. Spray it around the floor and etc. Works great. Less chance of an explosion too.

traveler44

I saw a tv show where people had a problem with bed bugs and couldn't get rid of them with professional spraying. They had to heat the house to over 150* for a while and that killed the bugs and eggs and everything. Looked like they used torpedo heaters and forced the heat in through ducts. Just thought that was interesting. Tom

Last edited:

wdk450

I saw a tv show where people had a problem with bed bugs and couldn't get rid of them with professional spraying. They had to heat the house to over 150* for a while and that killed the bugs and eggs and everything. Looked like they used torpedo heaters and forced the heat in through ducts. Just thought that was interesting. Tom

I have seen the 150 degrees method on TV documentaries about Bedbugs. I haven't heard of this technique used for anything else. I would think that ants that can survive on a hot summer asphalt or concrete could handle 150 degrees.