Heartland Dealer Refusing to service 2011 Cyclone still under warranty.

My husband and I purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3010 last April at a dealer in Southern California because our only local Heartland dealer didn't stock the Cyclone and we wanted to see & get a feel for the unit before we plunked down our $$$.

We have been having several water leak issues and took it to our local dealer in Las Vegas for warranty work. The dealer accepted the unit and "solved" the problems. While on a trip last week in So. Cal. the water leak was back along with additional ones. So we took it to another local dealer while on vacation hoping that they could solve our problem and allow us to continue our trip.

The So. Cal. dealer was happy to fit us in and identified 3 different water leak issues, one from behind the water heater and two in the water line that were caused during manufacturing. They fixed those issues and we continued on our vacation. Sadly, this was not the last of our Cyclone woes, once back to camp, 60 miles from the closest dealer, the water pump wouldn't prime. We just turned off the water and used camp facilities in order to enjoy whatever we could of the last of our weekend. On the way home, we stopped again at the So. Cal. dealer and again they were happy to take a look and try to help us.

Sadly, it appears that the issue is much more complicated that the 2-3 hours we had to spend and we had to hid the road home without resolve. We were told to have our local Las Vegas dealer call the So. Cal. dealer and they would walk them through what they found. Once we got home, my husband called to make an appointment and this was the response he received via e-mail "I am very sorry to hear all the problems with your Cyclone trailer. Unfortunately we have been informed from our ownership we cannot work on any RV Manufactures products supported by ******* ****** RV’s not sold here from our dealership to locals here in Las Vegas and surrounding areas. At this time I would advise you to contact your selling dealership or the manufacture for further help. I do apologize for this and if after your warranty period any needs that I can assist you with please contact me."

We are furious! We have been long time customers of this dealership and they have already serviced this unit and this is the customer service we receive? The closest Heartland dealer is 500 miles away. I haven't had a chance to contact Heartland customer service because we received the email after business hours on Friday.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did it get resolved?

RollingHome

This story is infuriating ! It reminds me of the 60's when one (as in my brother) would buy a Pontiac GTO at a better price from the dealer in the next town only to find out the local guy who sold the Pontiac GTO at a higher price would not help when the GTO broke under warranty ! Simply infuriating, I thought those days were gone - guess not ! Maybe that's why Pontiac is no longer in business, serves them right. I would suggest finding out where Heartland suggest you buy.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is not the first time I have heard of a dealer refusing repair work for a rig purchased elsewhere. This is one of the problems that can be encountered when not buying local.
They should not have refused you all together, but they might not get to your rig in a timely manor.
I think that they have a problem working on some repair work that was done elsewhere.
Give Heartland Customer Service a call tomorrow and explain your situation.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be aware that you do not have to go to a Heartland product dealer to get your repair done. Any RV repair shop can do your warranty work as long as it is pre-approved by Heartland. Contact Heartland Customer Service about this. As far as the local dealer refusing your service I would write a letter to the local news media (TV station) consumer advocate and the Better Business Bureau about this business practice as well as notifying Heartland Customer Service. Maybe some negative publicity for the dealership will open their eyes. You could also write a letter to Trailer Life magazine about them. I would CC a copy of each letter to the owner/General Manager of the dealership. Good luck.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I would make it very clear to them that if they are not willing to take care of you during the warranty period, that there is no way they would be getting any future business of any kind! Hard to believe they are stupid enough to even suggest that.

gpshemi

This happened to us with our Keystone product. Keystone eventually stepped up and the local dealer repaired the unit, but they weren't thrilled about it. I no longer go there for anything. Not the new coach or even parts. They lost not only my biz, but my friends and family as well. Times are different...owners should realize that you can't pull stuff like this anymore.

Lynn1130

It is mentioned here in a previous post but just to emphasize. We are 40 miles (freeway traffic) and an hour drive from our Heartland dealer. I did not like the idea of pulling the trailer over for warranty repairs, leaving it, driving home and then going back several days later to pick it up. I called Heartland Customer Service and got authorization to have repairs done at a shop 4 miles away. They do the repairs, I pay, and Heartland sends me a check for those warranty repairs. Customer Service is very good about working with you. They also will send me parts for repairs which I take in with me (no charge). Have your local shop work with Heartland.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would make it very clear to them that if they are not willing to take care of you during the warranty period, that there is no way they would be getting any future business of any kind! Hard to believe they are stupid enough to even suggest that.

I agree. This whole topic really irks me!
Sure, if you don't buy from a dealer, maybe you go in line behind those that do. But, to refuse service alltogether? That is where HL should pull the dealer's chain, or pull their authorized dealership title.
I know, you will say it will cut down on sales. However as a mfgr., I would want dealerships that represent MY best interest and good reputation. That would HELP sales, in the long run.

There are other great dealerships that are ready to step up and service anyone's rig. Trace

Crumgater

We're in the same boat with Lynn1130 - an hour of city traffic to get to our dealership. Nice to know Heartland would support a more local repair shop if we ever need it (so far, we only had one issue, which was not time-sensitive).

As to this whole issue with the dealer - very short sided of them. If they ever wanted your business they would be wooing you with great service so you'd buy your next rig from them at the higher price... instead they have now lost any hope of future business along with the current work. Not too bright.

wdk450

Gang:
I recommend along with posting on this forum, to post about your negative/positive service experiences on RVServiceReviews.com . I also recommend any prospective buyer to review their intended dealer's service history on this site before closing the deal. This can also be a source to find a 3rd party repairer in your area, although Heartland Service keeps a list of these.

mhays

Right after we bought our Cyclone, the dealer went under... We simply called Heartland and had them change our "home dealer" from where we bought it to a different Heartland dealer near us.

My husband and I purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3010 last April at a dealer in Southern California because our only local Heartland dealer didn't stock the Cyclone and we wanted to see & get a feel for the unit before we plunked down our $$$.

We have been having several water leak issues and took it to our local dealer in Las Vegas for warranty work. The dealer accepted the unit and "solved" the problems. While on a trip last week in So. Cal. the water leak was back along with additional ones. So we took it to another local dealer while on vacation hoping that they could solve our problem and allow us to continue our trip.

The So. Cal. dealer was happy to fit us in and identified 3 different water leak issues, one from behind the water heater and two in the water line that were caused during manufacturing. They fixed those issues and we continued on our vacation. Sadly, this was not the last of our Cyclone woes, once back to camp, 60 miles from the closest dealer, the water pump wouldn't prime. We just turned off the water and used camp facilities in order to enjoy whatever we could of the last of our weekend. On the way home, we stopped again at the So. Cal. dealer and again they were happy to take a look and try to help us.

Sadly, it appears that the issue is much more complicated that the 2-3 hours we had to spend and we had to hid the road home without resolve. We were told to have our local Las Vegas dealer call the So. Cal. dealer and they would walk them through what they found. Once we got home, my husband called to make an appointment and this was the response he received via e-mail "I am very sorry to hear all the problems with your Cyclone trailer. Unfortunately we have been informed from our ownership we cannot work on any RV Manufactures products supported by ******* ****** RV’s not sold here from our dealership to locals here in Las Vegas and surrounding areas. At this time I would advise you to contact your selling dealership or the manufacture for further help. I do apologize for this and if after your warranty period any needs that I can assist you with please contact me."

We are furious! We have been long time customers of this dealership and they have already serviced this unit and this is the customer service we receive? The closest Heartland dealer is 500 miles away. I haven't had a chance to contact Heartland customer service because we received the email after business hours on Friday.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did it get resolved?

I agree this appears horrendous at first blush. One possibility I did not see presented is your local dealer may be concerned about getting reimbursed for warranty work. They are already aware the CA dealership accomplished some repairs/assessments for leaks. I would assume they expect to get paid for their efforts. Now you would have your local dealership accomplish the same thing (at least on paper) and expect Heartland to pay a second time. I see a hassle looming for someone and don't blame the local dealer for balking. Perhaps you could address it from this angle before attempting to punish the dealer and forfeiting a local ally for the rest of your life.

Bosty

Why are you protecting the offending dealer by redacting their name? They deserve to be exposed for what they did. That is how to stop this kind of BS!!!

jbeletti

Why are you protecting the offending dealer by redacting their name? They deserve to be exposed for what they did. That is how to stop this kind of BS!!!

Bosty,

Looks like the user left the dealer name out. It does not appear to be redacted by forum staff. That said, one of the terms of service of the forum is no dealer bashing. Perhaps this is why it was left out.

You may contact the original poster via email or PM - whichever they allow. Click on their forum username to see.

Jim