Wet Bolts vs. Never Fail Bushings

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just curious. Has anyone installed the NeverFail bushings from Rieco-Titan instead of going to the wet bolts? Thoughts/comments.

Just curious. Has anyone installed the NeverFail bushings from Rieco-Titan instead of going to the wet bolts? Thoughts/comments.

I was just on here searching for a thread about this very thing. It would be very interesting to hear about any experiences at all.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Got 'em. Install and forget. We've got about 5,000 miles on them so far, maybe a little more? They put them on when I did the Correct Track system. We've sold a few more sets at the shop and have had good feedback on them. I'd like to have Ray pull one before we take off for Gillette just to see what it looks like for curiosity's sake.

I had about 6,000 on the original bronze and they were worn completely through when we took them off in Elkhart. Sonny has had them on his trailer for a couple years now and they seem to be holding up. I do know that you can't smash them with a hammer or crush them in a vice, so they are pretty tough stuff.

Deb

JohnDar

lwmcguir

I have used some bushings similar to those that ran dry. Over time/miles the bolts wore out first so there are some tough bushings out there. I still like the grease type or the large bushing that are used in HD spring sets.

slmayor

To answer the question about Reico, Lippert has formed a partnership that Sonny is setting up, called Mobile Outfitters. They will sell the never-fail bushings, the Correct Track and the Ground Control through that company. Rumor is that Forest River will be using the Correct-Track on their product lines. There are more companies looking at the system for OEM use, including our favorite company. If it's done at the assembly stage, you won't have the 2" height issue the after market Correct Track provides.
As to price for the bushings, they should be between $55-65 for a dual axle set. I am very pleased with everything we have from Reico, and after some extreme use, still no problems with any of it.

JohnDar

Thanks, Ray, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Also very happy with the Ground Control. Do you have the Never-Fail bushings on your rig?

slmayor

John, it's Deb, and yes, we have the never-fails on ours. So far so good. I work at a repair facility, so get to try all the new stuff on my coach. We've had the bushings and Correct Track for about a year, the Ground Control a little longer. Trip back from Elkhart to CA and a lot of other miles as well and everything seems to be holding up well. No visible wear patterns on the tires, so I'm pleased so far.
I owned a hot rod shop for about 10 years before I went to work for the RV shop. Mechanical and technical info is a hobby..LOL :) Ray does the installs, I do the research.

JohnDar

John, it's Deb, and yes, we have the never-fails on ours. So far so good. I work at a repair facility, so get to try all the new stuff on my coach. We've had the bushings and Correct Track for about a year, the Ground Control a little longer. Trip back from Elkhart to CA and a lot of other miles as well and everything seems to be holding up well. No visible wear patterns on the tires, so I'm pleased so far.
I owned a hot rod shop for about 10 years before I went to work for the RV shop. Mechanical and technical info is a hobby..LOL :) Ray does the installs, I do the research.

Oops, my bad, Deb. Sounds like the Never Fails might be a better option over the wet bolts for the way we use our rig. Easy to install?

khalsey

Riecotitan Products Incorporated
965 Lambrecht Road
Frankfort, Illinois 60423

There plant is just 12 miles from my house. I talked to them last year just after getting back from the Rally at Goshen. I think they give me a price of about $55 for 12 bushings. Maybe I'll drive over there some nice weather day and see about buying them.

slmayor

Oops, my bad, Deb. Sounds like the Never Fails might be a better option over the wet bolts for the way we use our rig. Easy to install?
John, I think you might be right about them for your rig. Especially since it's parked a good deal, they wouldn't collect moisture and not moving wouldn't bother them either as there is no grease to distribute. They are as easy as any bushing to install, just push the others out and them in. I was pretty shocked to see my original ones worn clear through in places after about 6k miles. I suspect that something like that is a contributing factor in some spring/ shackle issues.

JohnDar

John, I think you might be right about them for your rig. Especially since it's parked a good deal, they wouldn't collect moisture and not moving wouldn't bother them either as there is no grease to distribute. They are as easy as any bushing to install, just push the others out and them in. I was pretty shocked to see my original ones worn clear through in places after about 6k miles. I suspect that something like that is a contributing factor in some spring/ shackle issues.

Thanks, Deb. Looks like another project has joined the Spring Thaw "to do" list.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Deb, I still have the wet bolts. Can they still be used or do I have to replace the shackle bolts also??

wdk450

Gang:
I ordered the NeverFail (NeverLube) Lifetime bushings from Reico-Titan a few months ago. I finally got around to having them installed this weekend. The good news is that I caught this just in time (see attached photo). The bad news was that it cost me over $500 in labor. I guess I should have attempted this myself.

I am guessing I have averaged maybe 5000 miles a year on the trailer since I bought it in January 2009. I had the springs and equalizers replaced in the summer of 2009, so the bushings might have been replaced then. Maybe that's why I have 1 bronze bushing.

In the attached picture of the bushings, all of the bushings except the right 2 have issues - holes, cracks, excessive thinning.

Maybe this is a maintenece issue everyone should be thinking about, and it would be nice if Heartland/Lippert installed these NeverFail bushings at the factory. BTW, Reico-Titan no longer lists these on their website, but a Google search brought up The Mobile Outfitters (A Lippert Division) as the source now. Here is a link: http://www.themobileoutfitters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=494 Mobile outfitters is associated with RV Repairers and Dealers throughout the country. See the "Dealers" tab on their website. I don't know if you can mail order these any more.

Here is the photo:
027.jpg

Last edited:

JohnDar

Looks like that idea got shot in the keister. If they don't sell direct to consumers, it ain't gonna happen. No dealer (aka installers ??) anywhere near me.

caissiel

Though not similar experience but related. My previous unit had 5k axles and every 3 years I replaced plastic bushings due to wear. The last setup with balanced tires never needed periodic bushing replacement. Now I have lots of spare spring parts. This summer I checked the bushings on my 7k axle springs and after 3 years and 15k miles no wear at all. Again I have all my wheels balanced