4th water leak in 3 months in brand new Landmark, how do full-timers deal with it?

<o:pIn the 3 months I’ve owned my 2012 Landmark Rushmore, I’m on leak #4 which again saturated a portion of the bedroom carpet and flooded my basement (for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] time). All leaks have been in separate locations and now going in for the second time for repairs. The first repair (3 leaks) took almost 4 weeks to fix.

Because I use my rig for out of town work, I’m curious how full-timers deal with warranty repair issues while on the road. I now have to pay for a hotel while working out of town, which was the reason I bought a new RV and paid for an annual site to stay in, all to avoid the excess costs of eating out and hotels.

Is there any recourse for reimbursement (hotel) from the manufacture? Or am I just plain out of luck and out of pocket on this issue. I guess I’m lucky I live only 2hrs from home when working. This is my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RV and 1[SUP]st[/SUP] brand spanking new one, and I’ve never had any problems like I do now. Other than the water leaks, there have been several small issues with this unit (including a smashed storage door from closing the bedroom slide = $2200 damage) and it makes it really difficult to brag to others about what a great product Heartland produces. Beautiful looking rig inside and out, but the overall integrity is now questionable.
</o
<o:p</o

mmomega

AnyTimer
Is this the 4th separate leak or the the 4th from the same spot?
With my last RV we thought we ended up with a demon trailer and it was at the dealership probably 11 months the first year we owned it.
Long story short, the service department was not fixing any issues. We also could not lemon it because we had to have multiple documented work orders and since they never fixed anything they never kept records.

I had a leak in my brand new Landmark as well the first trip out, similar to yours where the bedroom carpet would get wet. Turned out to be a connection in the shower wall was loose. You can remove the wall access panel in the bedroom and check the fittings for any loose ones.
I also feel your pain about catching the storage door with the bedroom slide but it was completely my fault. The storage door opens half-way and stops and I had to open it the rest of the way myself. It just did not click that the slide my catch it and I should have closed it, it ripped the handles out of the door and almost the door completely off. If this was the same thing for you it was only $300 for me to get a brand new door and installed.

motoflash

I know how you feel. We are full timers going on three years and have had several leaks in the basement due to, I think, different types of hoses and connections used thru out the coach. The biggest problem comes from plastic fittings screwed into brass bodies. Hang in there. I don't know if any other brand is any better.
Frank Heard
2010 Landmark Augusta

beardedone

Beardedone
I had lots of trouble with leaks and so I bought water manifolds for them and plumbed the trailer with residential style crimping and home run style. No problem since then. Buy your own crimper and check out how tight they are in your trailer, probably lose.

marvmarcy

We've been fulltimers for 11+ years and had more problems with a new high-end dpmh than with our new Key Largo. As soon as we took delivery, I crawled into the basement to install an accumulator tank on the water pump. During the installation, I wiggled most of the water lines and caused two to leak, which the dealer promptly fixed. I then checked all fittings and connections, including drains, and many were not tight. Since then everything has worked well, except that I had to replace the water pump - plugged input filter caused it to fail. We've owned the rig less than four months.

I consider the Landmark to be a slightly better than average mid level rv, definitely not a high end rv. Only time will reveal how it will hold up, but so far we're happy.

Marv

Tuke

I have had 5 different water leaks myself. I am disgusted with heartland not standing by the workmanship on their products, and I just found out that my insurance company of more than 15 yrs (Statefarm), and may not be for much longer, may not cover the damage. My rv may be well out of warranty but when the floor of a slide room completely rots out due to a crappy caulk job they should stand by their workmanship or lack there of. I have had 2 leaks in my camper due to that reason, two others due to loose fittings, and one consistant leak at the base of the shower due to a poor design. To answer your question how do I get it fixed when I live in it. I have to take care of it myself on what little free time I have.

MTPockets

I had several leaks in my new 2012 Big Horn - Plumbing same as Landmark, put together by same people. Each time I found the leaks myself (much easier than messing with the dealer) - all due to loose nuts at the distribution center valve, sinks, and shower. I haven't had a problem now for three months as I went around and tightened everything I could get to - hopefully everything. I think this is pretty normal for new units (I don't like it, but seems to be the case). Initial install, shipping, vibration from road delivery, etc.... means re-tightening becomes necessary.

ChopperBill

Ours has been leak free (knocking on wood) However, we only hook on to it to go the AZ for the winter then back. In the summer it goes to WY. One trip up, one trip back. I am guessing if you pull yours lots of times during the year you may be prone to more leaks. Every time you hit a bump its like a miniature earth quake. I do always pull the bulk head back by the UDC and check for any leaks or loose fittings when we get to our destination.

Rickhansen

One at a time
:rolleyes: My thought exactly.
We've been full time in our rig for four and a half years so far. Everything that has been a problem or failed to-date, I've taken care of. I'm sure I've done a better repair, for far less money and hassle, than any dealers monkeys would.