Opinions Please: Which is better - 100% Diesel or Bio Diesel

rick_debbie_gallant

I often wonder what the price difference is between bi0-diesel and 100% diesel. I also would like to know your opinions on which is better for our trucks etc. I personally only try and use 100% diesel.

beardedone

Beardedone
We have the same engine and my manual says only 5% bio-diesel. I think that the general feeling is that any higher content could cause injector problems. I have never knowingly used any bio-diesel.

rick_debbie_gallant

I believe the Murphy oil (aka Walmart) is bio diesel but not sure. Once I found out I stopped using it. I have had good luck with Sunoco.

DMitch

My opinion is diesel. I just read yesterday that bio is even more polluting tha 100% diesel as well as possible fuel system problems.

dewwood

This is my personal experience so take it for what it cost you. I have used bio diesel in my off road equipment for many years and never had any issues with it. I do however use 100% diesel most of the time in my diesel pickup. The two main reasons for this are 1. the DOT people frown when they check your tank and find red dyed fuel (remember this is labeled off road), 2. I get approximately 10% better fuel mileage using 100% diesel.

I occasionally use bio diesel when travelling if that is what is at the pumps when I get fuel.

brianharrison

My opinion is diesel. I just read yesterday that bio is even more polluting tha 100% diesel as well as possible fuel system problems.

This is interesting. The claim has been bio diesel is LESS polluting than hydrocarbon derived diesel. Can you provide a link?

I wonder if it has to do with the type of pollutants, or the amount of energy required to produce the barrel of bio diesel vs diesel?

For fuel system problems, biodiesel is also supposed to increase lubricity (link to Biodiesel SCAR testing). I wonder if you are referring to DPF contamination and/or fuel system sludge buildup?

Here is a link to US DOE webpage for Information on BioDiesel Blends.

By the way, - I do not knowingly use bio diesel either. Job security - I work in the oil industry, not the deep frying industry. :rolleyes:

Brian

EDIT - Just found Biodiesel produces more oxides of nitrogen, less Carbon and Sulfur emissions (greenhouse gas and acid rain) --> Link to US DOE Website for Biodiesel
EDIT - All US manufacturers support up to 5% biodiesel blend, some 2011 plus support B20 --> Link to page summarizing OEM BioDiesel Warranty

Crumgater

I've heard/read stories about biodiesel having some issues with standardization also, so you never know exactly what it is you're burning. I think I'll stick to 100% diesel if I can (which basically means whatever Chevron has at the pump).

I believe biodiesel gets its "environmentally friendly" stamp because it's either recyled material (fryer waste) or 'life-cycle carbon' (CO2 in the short-term life cycle of green materials, not deep-cycle carbon from HC/oil deposits). But if you're not making the biodiesel yourself (or know the source), you really don't know what you have or what the long-term effects might be on your engine.

-T

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is my personal experience so take it for what it cost you. I have used bio diesel in my off road equipment for many years and never had any issues with it. I do however use 100% diesel most of the time in my diesel pickup. The two main reasons for this are 1. the DOT people frown when they check your tank and find red dyed fuel (remember this is labeled off road), 2. I get approximately 10% better fuel mileage using 100% diesel.

I occasionally use bio diesel when travelling if that is what is at the pumps when I get fuel.

Bio diesel and off-road diesel are two different things....If it's red dyed, then it's off-road, which means no road taxes have been paid. Bio diesel looks just like regular diesel...

dewwood

I understand that bio diesel is a separate product from all petro based diesel. The off road diesel I use is B-20 bio diesel from my local coop supplier.

BHEWITTJR

I used Bio-Diesel 1 time and got such bad millage with it I'll never buy it again. Since my truck has a 6.0 that has been replaced once I would not recomend using it at all. FYI all the Sunoco stations in this area sell only Bio-Diesel, thier pumps are labled at 5%.

navyAZ1

My diesel mechanic nephew states don't use bio-diesel if you don't have to, he says the injectors and fuel filters in the Duramax won't tolorate it very well. So, I stay with the 100% diesel, and don't worry about emissions I just keep the special tank full of that "cat urine" they call DEF.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bio-diesel is probably right up there with E-85 gasoline as a crock of doo-doo being fed to the masses. Lower prices and lower performance, so you end up buying more. So much for the "savings." I won't use either. And my truck doesn't use recycled pizz, either.

Sandpirate69

I will not run Bio-Diesel in my truck, knowingly. I can tell you that E85 is BS. If your vehicle is stock your better off buying regular fuel. Not to mention that you will need to change out your fuel filter a couple of times. E85 cleans the inside of your tank then pushes it into your fuel filter. I know a couple of guys who use Bio-Diesel and have gotten terrible mileage. One even had injector problems, not sure if it was the Bio, but he switched back to reg. diesel & the problem went away. Some things were made to run Bio, some were not. My Chevy will run on whatever DINO left behind after he expired. :cool:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My new truck the 6.7 Ford diesel says in the owners manual you can use the Bio-Diesel. I have not yet and don't plan on it but it is designed to be able to. My previous 6.4 Ford diesel said do not use the Bio-Diesel.

rick_debbie_gallant

Bottom line is this: ""I ain't gonna cook with diesel fuel or eat anything that was cooked in it. And ya might as well know that My truck don't get nothin that has had something fried in it or is used to fry stuff. I am thinkin that about covers it!! So Willie, you can kiss my grits and keep your "bi-o-diesel"!!!!