Yep - I Feel Dumb!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Picked up the RV from the storage lot today. First time I've moved it in 5 weeks. Was in a bit of a hurry, so quickly got hooked up raised the front jacks up and slowly took off. Sounded awfully noisy so I stopped to take a look. About the same time a gentleman pulled up beside me and told me my rear jacks were down :eek:. Fortunately, no damage was done except to my pride. Moral of the story - check, double check, and recheck, no matter how many times you've done this.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Fortunately the front jacks had been higher than the hitch before I hooked up so when I put the nose down on the hitch it raised the rear jacks off the ground just enough to occasionally hit the gravel road, but not dig in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

Well this old man has gotten so paranoid that after I think I'm ready to go I have to walk around the trailer 2 times and touch everything that has to be raised up and connected and disconnected. I also do the pull test with the legs almost down so I won't drop the trailer on the truck.

GOTTOYS

I never put down my rear jacks when it's in storage. If I did I bet I'd forget too!..Don

ihsolutions

Before getting in the truck I always bend down and look at the underside of the trailer to make sure nothing is touching the ground except the wheels. I've found I missed the power cord once by doing this check, so it's now a habit. Although, bending that far over seems to get a little more difficult with each passing year...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is one of the reasons we check each other...DH reminds me of the antenna and Sat. Dish, and after I close up inside I do a walk around the trailer just to make sure he didn't get distracted....we also both hitch up together him backing up with me positioning the pin, and then we BOTH check to see that the hitch is engaged properly. Seven years fulltiming and so far, so good...geez...hope I didn't just jinx us...LOL!! :rolleyes::confused:

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We've been using this double check system as well.

We also use an iPhone app for RV checklists. It's customizable and we're still ironing out the lists.

Lastly, our truck has a checklist for 5th wheels and we go through that as well.

It's a good system. I feel comfortable following up after Eric and having him double check me.

The biggest thing is we're still learning so much. Learned a lot while departing today!

sjs731

I got distracted my the guy in the site next to us once and left the antenna up. Luckily I didn't hit anything with it on the way to the dump station in the campground. I was informed by another person on my way there. I hate when people distract me when I am in the process of hitching.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Don't feel dumb - you are normal. We have all overlooked things, some minor, some major. Overflowing toilets, too sharp turns, not locked king pins, too low overhangs, one or more of these are peppered through out this forum. Hold your head high, you are one of us ! !

Sandpirate69

Just remember, you're RVing, things are going to happen. Just adjust your check list. Here's an oh S%^T moment for me. I put my 31' SeaVee boat in the water (unhooked) without the plugs. It slid into the water nicely, the guy next to me came up & asked why my boat was pumping water out of both bilge drains like a fire hose. Thats when I realized i hadn't put the plugs in. and ran to get the rope, while the wife was screaming about the sinking boat, to load it back on the trailer. Moral of the story is, these things only happen to those who enjoy these type of activities. Check & re-check

rick_debbie_gallant

Have you ever heard the following "There are those of us that "HAVE DONE SOMETHING REALLY LAME". Then there those who of us that "JUST HAVE NOT DONE SOMETHING REALLY LAME"! there are those that "HAVE DONE SOMETHING REALLY LAME BUT WILL NOT ADMIT IT"

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I got distracted my the guy in the site next to us once and left the antenna up. Luckily I didn't hit anything with it on the way to the dump station in the campground. I was informed by another person on my way there. I hate when people distract me when I am in the process of hitching.

Agreed. Im learning to ignore people while setting up and breaking down. If I see the person again, I'll say hello and apologize for ignoring them and explain that I can't allow anything to distract me. Fellow RVers understand. Neighbors and family... Not so much.

Bernie55

My problem is when arriving or leaving a campground, and my friends come over wanting to (help), i politely say no thank you, it misses with my mental check list...At my age me thinks me should write everything down....

emm4273610re

My wife and I both have a routine and we stay out of one anothers way. Yes we will ask one another just to double check before leaving. And yes we sometimes still forget things. ( I now always carry extra sewer elbows)