Electrical Hum - Converter/Transfer Switch ?

lucey

Our 3800 just developed a electrical hum. I can here it when plugged into shore power. I can hear it in the living area and when in bed. It did not do this last week. Sounds like its coming from the transfer switch or converter area. Any known issues or users with this issue ?

RuralPastor

Re: Electrical Hum - Converter/Transer Switch ?

1. Excessive 12 volt load.
2. Battery not accepting charge (therefore defective).
3. Harmonic backfeed through sound system (mine does this).
4. Converter going kaput.

I would check these things in this order.

DougAndJudy

Our 3800 just developed a electrical hum. I can here it when plugged into shore power. I can hear it in the living area and when in bed. It did not do this last week. Sounds like its coming from the transfer switch or converter area. Any known issues or users with this issue ?

Check that the transfer switch has not moved. If it is in contact with part of the framework, the hum is amplified through the whole trailer.

I would purchase a surge protector ASAP.. we just lost everything in our unit. Better to be safe than sorry...It wasn't a good outing

alaska dodge

I would shut down all power and open the top of the transfer switch and make sure all lugs for the wires are tight. If they are loose you can get a humm sound. if that is not the case look for your intel power that provides 12volts to your rig. That might also be the where the noise is coming from, under a heavy load it will make some noise.

Bill

lucey

Just had the front all apart for some warranty work. The hum is coming from the transfer switch. Seems loud to me. I was surprised to see they use Progressive Dynamics for the converter, nice ! Tech seemed to say it was normal. Not sure

RollingHome

I assume you have a transfere switch to switch between generator and shore power. Most transfere switches are manual, evidently yours is not. That being the case I deduce you have a electro-mechanical contactor that's humming. First I would make certain what component is causing the hum. Although anoying - is it quite normal for this type of component to hum. It's annoying so some o.e.m.'s actually put in a hum bucking coil in high end contactors. I would not think yours has this. We used to cycle the contactor/s a few times until it reseats to a more quiet spot. Most if not all o.e.m.'s will tell you "the hum is normal for our equipment". The sound is coming from e.m.f. and there's not much that can be done about it economically. The bad news is, they usually get lounder just before taking a powder... I would try cycling it a few times and/or contact the o.e.m. for their input. Now if it's another component, that could be another story. Example, the converter has a small muffin fan for cooling, these can get noisy too... Good Luck & Happy Rving !

danemayer

I can here it when plugged into shore power. I can hear it in the living area and when in bed. It did not do this last week.
The hum is coming from the transfer switch. Seems loud to me. Tech seemed to say it was normal. Not sure

Hi Lucey,

"Loud" is of course a subjective term, and the bedroom in many coaches is pretty close to the transfer switch, with heating vents that may help carry the noise. But if you can hear it in the living area - say 12 feet away, maybe that's a good argument that it's too loud.

If you're still in warranty, I'd suggest calling Heartland Customer Service to discuss. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin # ready.

If out of warranty, you may want to bite the bullet and buy a new one. But before I spent the money, I'd follow the advice previously posted to see if there's something easy that might resolve the problem.

Bksvo

It didn't hum before, and now it does. How is that normal? Mine doesn't hum. Did you ever check to make sure it hadn't come loose? I can understand that if it is now contacting the sidewall of the basement that what little sound it does make could be amplified.

porthole

Retired
Lucey - All the Cyclones use the 80 amp "smart" Progressive converter which is about as good as it gets in the RV realm.
Your transfer switch is automatic, and cycles every time you plug it in. That is the loud clunk you hear when first plugging in the shore power.

Both the converter and transfer switch can hum. Sometimes I hear mine, sometimes I don't. With the converter on, it can depend on the load. Having all the lights on for example will increase the hum a bit.

And as mentioned above, there have been several folks that have found the wires inside the transfer switch a bit loose.
This is easy enough to check yourself – WITH THE TRAILER UNPLUGGED.