Ladders - what are you carrying in your RV?

jbeletti

Hey folks,

I am considering adding a ladder to the growing list of stuff I need in my trailer. I see some people carrying aluminum step ladders. They hang them on the ladder on the rear cap using a bracket (saw them at CW) or ties downs etc.

I have taken a liking to those collapsible telescoping extension ladders. I like the collapsibility of them for storage and the fact they are extension ladders by design and they could be real handy for the high spots on the trailer for cleaning and other maintenance. On the downside, they are not step ladders, they are heavy and they are expensive.

So, what are you guys using now or what are your plans (if any) for carrying a ladder with you?

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Jim,

We elected to go with the collapseabe step ladder available at Camping World. It is available in a couple of different heights. Ours is 6'. Also have a folding 3 step step stool. It is perfect for putting up the awning as well as reacing those high shelves in the kitchen if need be. The big ladder folds to about a 3" square by 6'. I am planning to make a mounting bracket in the basement (or maybe mount a 4" pvc pipe) to better store it. We have been very happy with it. We bought it for the old TT andhave had it for several years.

Phil

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hi Jim
I to am using the collaspable ladder from CW. Made one mistake, I bought the sis footer and it is just a little to short to reach the top of my Grand Canyon, should have bought the seven footer. Also I bought a set of the old fashion antenna mounting brackets, flaten out the center section and the ladder fits snuggly inside. I mounted the brackets to the top of the basemant area with self tapping screws and you have a nice mount that keeps the ladder off the floor and is easy to slide the ladder in and out of the mounts. I have had no problem with the ladder sliding on its own.

glen

hi, i really like the CW combination step/extention ladder. Works good as a six foot step and the legs can be at differing heights for working from stairs. It also can become an extention ladder and will get about 11 feet at the top. Best of all in fits in our thru compartment, in the front ... no need to tie it off to a ladder in the back, about 6' 5" by17" by 6 3/4" folded.

jbeletti

Phil and fireflipper,

When you say collapsable, are you talking about this one from CW?

I rather like the 7 footer on that page just for the height advantage. Especially if it folds up to a 3.5" square by 7' long. I could hang that in the basement!

Problem is the max weight capacity at 225#. Okay, I can stand to lose a few pounds but I'd be using the ladder at max capacity not including tools in my hand/pocket.

Glen,

Tanks for the input on the step/extension ladder. I agree that this is the ultimate in usability but my worry is storage. I am getting pretty full in the basement.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what I end up getting.

Jim

glen

good morning, i like the three way because you can get up high enough to service awnings and slide awnings. also there is space between the rungs to store objects like 4 gallon buckets, etc. i weigh a bit over the 225 max with no problems :eek: yet.
wait for a sale, i paid like $79 and current member is $99

phranc

Do you think one of those Little Giant ladders would be OK . Our local Sam's has a Cosco brand that seem to be similiar for about 99 bucks. weight is 32 lbs

jbeletti

Hey Jeff,

When I first started looking at ladders for the trailer, I really liked those telescoping ones. Saw them at Ace Hardware. I agree - spendy! Also sort of heavy too.

After doing a few projects on the trailer (awning replacement - with your help) and entire trailer wash, I am now favoring a ladder that I don't have to lean against the trailer. For most applications, it would be OK but for washing and waxing the front cap for example, I'd rather not lean the ladder on the cap with my ample weight.

Still considering one of the folding ladders and have not ruled out the step-extension combo but am also going for low weight and small storage.

Thanks everyone for all the tips thus far. I'll let you know what I end up getting.

Jim

jbeletti

Phranc.

I think I found the Cosco Ladder Website

Is it the 20213 (13 footer) that Sam's has? 32 pounds is very doable for me.

World's Greatest™ Ladder - 13 ft. Multi-Use Ladder System

Converts without tools to:
• 5 positions as Step Ladder
• 6 heights as Extension Ladder
• 4 positions as Stairway Ladder
• 2 heights as Scaffold
• 2 heights as Wall Ladder

phranc

Jim.. Just got back from Sam's .. they were out of the 13 footers but had a new supply of the 17 footers. Same price (99.95) but a liitle bit more weight. Rated to hold 300 #.. Hope I'm not jumping the gun,but if I can't use it in RV ,I sure can use it at home .. Real cool ladder system..:)

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim,

The ladder in your short cut is exactly the one I bought. I have the 6' as I bought it when I still had my TT which was not nearly as tall as the Bighorn. I have been very happy with it as it stores in a very compact and provides good stability. Good luck with your search.
Phil