Day/Night Shade Repair

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Last night, one of the strings in one of the smaller shades on the living room slide gave up the ghost. Today, I disassembled it, after removing the lammykin to get it off the wall, and found the break right near the spring in the header section. I managed to rethread and retie the string to the spring after loosening the tensioners and pulling up some of the excess. Works like new. Actually pretty simple once you look at it. Just in case, I got a spool of 80# monofilament if I needed to splice in an extension.

Those shades are slated to morph into vertical blinds this fall.

Dave49

We have three of them shades that have broken strings in them. We replaced all the shades with some out of Home Depot. Very nice blinds but we have discovered that we like the day/night shades so much better. We have the kit to repair them and will be repairing them and putting them back up.

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
RichPal, I have attached some information that will help you if you would like to restring your own blinds.
You can use some good fishing line for the repair.
Hope this helps.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DayNight%20Shade%201[1][1].pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DayNight%20Shade%202[1].pdf
    176.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DayNight%20Shade%203[1].pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DayNight%20Shade%204[1].pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 48

shovelguy

My blinds have broken strings too. Where did the repair kit come from? How do I get one?
Just to let you know. After re-stringing several blinds, some more than once, my dh simply cut off the day shade. Works much better, certainly saved on re-stringing headaches. We never used the day shades anyway so I do not miss them. We bought the rest ringing kits over the Internet at The Dirty Blind Man.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My blinds have broken strings too. Where did the repair kit come from? How do I get one?
Along with Cookie's attachments, you can find cord to use for restringing at any good sporting goods store. Look for 80 lb. test bow fishing line. It must be braided cord. Dacron or nylon is a good choice. HERE is one option.

hapjack

We were in northern Indiana last summer and had 2 break in our 2011BIg Horn and we called the blind factory in Goshen. They had us bring them to the factory and they fixed the shades at no charge. They told us if we have trouble again to ship the shades to the factory to be fixed at no cost.

gebills

Hi Hapjack: That certainly is a gracious offer to have the blinds restrung at no charge; however, the 1st blind we need restrung is in our bathroom. I might suggest that the neighbors would get more than a river view, should I take that blind down and ship it in for restringing. Cookie, I appreciate the downloads on day/night shade restringing; that will be helpful. As we are currently about 650-700 miles from home, the local RV supply places don't have the string on the shelf. One shop owner at Campers Coral here in Red Bluff CA, very kindly offered to bring some in from her home and give it to me in the AM. It is important to get this fixed so as not to upset our next-door neighbors....;-))

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hi Hapjack: That certainly is a gracious offer to have the blinds restrung at no charge; however, the 1st blind we need restrung is in our bathroom. I might suggest that the neighbors would get more than a river view, should I take that blind down and ship it in for restringing. Cookie, I appreciate the downloads on day/night shade restringing; that will be helpful. As we are currently about 650-700 miles from home, the local RV supply places don't have the string on the shelf. One shop owner at Campers Coral here in Red Bluff CA, very kindly offered to bring some in from her home and give it to me in the AM. It is important to get this fixed so as not to upset our next-door neighbors....;-))

If the string is broken, you can splice it with some 80lb. fishing line. Depending on where the break is, there may be enough excess hanging below the adjuster knob to just tie it back together. Did that with one of our small main slide windows last year after the string broke near the spring in the header bar.

pegmikef

I just used 80 lb test fish line and it has worked fine for almost two years. I think the sun rots the OEM string.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Last year we replaced the shades in the Landmark and we have the old shades, in good condition.. (Back window, Side windows, door window, dining and sofa windows. We have the old shades and if anyone would like to buy the old ones, we could bring them to Goshen.
Dan and Karen

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
The last string on the back window blind just snapped yesterday. That completes the quad-fecta on that blind. Getting TOO good at fixing the blinds. Had our BH 3670 nine months and we've replaced 7 strings. Argh!

wdk450

I have fixing my broken blind string as one of my requested 2 free repair items from Heartland at the Goshen National Rally in June.