Trail America tire failure

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
On August 10 I was 50 miles from the home base when the right rear tire on our 2006 BH 3600 blew out, but damages was minimum. On August 15, 25 miles from home the left rear tire blew out, damage extensive. Before both trips I checked tire pressure and it was at or near the 110 printed on the side wall. I called the Trail America compamy following the first blow out and was told there was nothing they would do except sell me a new tire and ship it to my home. No one can tell me why I am experiencing the tire problem, and upon further inspection I found a 2 inch cut in the side wall running from the top towards the rim. It is a clean cut, the type that looks like it was made with a sharp knife or razor. I am in the process of replacing all tires, but would like some answers as to why the blow outs all of a sudden. Has any one else experienced Trail America tire failure?

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Tom, you must not be looking at this forum. I, myself posted about my Trail America blowout just last week. There have been many more over the past few months.

I now am towing on four Goodyear 614 RSTs with one more as a spare. Wife insisted on five tires, even though the spare only had four miles on it.

Forrest Fetherolf

Tom,

My Trail America @ 14k 70 miles from home 5/22/07. I wasn't the first one on this forum with a China Bomb explosion, unfortunately, I am not the last, but maybe the one with the most damage.

Your TA's have one year warranty, after that you are on your own. Sad but true. I wouldn't be surprised to see TA's on the recall list soon.

Got Goodyears G614 RST two weeks later before the replacement parts arrived.

Forrest

Attachments

• TRAIL AMERICA TIRE FAILURE004.JPG
    TRAIL AMERICA TIRE FAILURE004.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 86
  • TRAIL AMERICA TIRE FAILURE003.JPG
    TRAIL AMERICA TIRE FAILURE003.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 75
  • TRAIL AMERICATIRE FAILURE002.JPG
    TRAIL AMERICATIRE FAILURE002.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Trail  America Tire Failure1007.JPG
    Trail America Tire Failure1007.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 70
  • TRAIL AMERICA TIRE FAILURE007.JPG
    TRAIL AMERICA TIRE FAILURE007.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 77

slaytop

I have about 7,000 miles on my TA tires and these posts really make me wonder if they should be replaced before coming to the E Coast rally. Three of the four tires show signs of rubbing on the sidewalls. The off door (left) side tires have rubbed against the MorRyde plate between the shocks but no damage is apparent. The right rear rubbed against the squared slide out drive bar and shows more side wall scuffing but I have since smoothed out a burr on that bar.

I don't like to spend for tires I don't need but it is bothersome to think that the body could be mangled by these tires if they blow. I have two of the wheels off now as I repack the bearings and inspect the brakes.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
ChopperBill said:
Slaytop, replace 'em before you become another "victim"
Bill
How much gap do you have between your tires after you installed the 245's ? I have about 3 inches now and a little leery going with 235 Ribs.--Ken

Uncle Rog

Tom, I have similar pictures as Forrests'. Get some GY's or Michellins. Then measure the distance between tires on opposing sides, then go have a good time!

slaytop

Since I posted on another thread I will comment briefly here that I decided to replace the TA tires with the GY 614's. We leave Monday for a short trip and that will be one less issue to be concerned about.

civey

Reinerlady
I have a 3 year old Sundowner trailer with less than 20,000km on it. Blew 3 tires in 3 separate events last week, and yes, air pressure was checked before the first blowout, again after that and yet again before the 2nd/3rd blowouts. Major damage to my trailer plus cost of 5 replacement tires. Has anyone initiated a class action suit against Trail America - does anyone have enough data, other victim info to make that possible?

talley

On August 10 I was 50 miles from the home base when the right rear tire on our 2006 BH 3600 blew out, but damages was minimum. On August 15, 25 miles from home the left rear tire blew out, damage extensive. Before both trips I checked tire pressure and it was at or near the 110 printed on the side wall. I called the Trail America compamy following the first blow out and was told there was nothing they would do except sell me a new tire and ship it to my home. No one can tell me why I am experiencing the tire problem, and upon further inspection I found a 2 inch cut in the side wall running from the top towards the rim. It is a clean cut, the type that looks like it was made with a sharp knife or razor. I am in the process of replacing all tires, but would like some answers as to why the blow outs all of a sudden. Has any one else experienced Trail America tire failure?

Tom....

I don't think any of us have had answers about why our tires failed... we are just glad to be away from those tires.

I assume that the Trail America tires you curretly have are the original. If so, you have been lucker than I have been. I have a 2006 Bighorn 3655. Within the first 6,000 miles first blowout and $2,000 damage. TA replaced all five tires under warranty. Second blowout was within the next 4,000 miles and another $2,000 damage. Blowouts on opposite sides. Both tires had what appeared as a "clean cut" as you describe. After second blowout went to Goodyear G614. Can't say why you have only now experienced the blowouts... while many of us with the TA tires have had much less time and perhaps mileage than you have.

Many post here on the TA and experiences with them. My observation included the unmounted weight difference between the TA and the Goodyear tires. Goodyears just seems as much more sturdy.

Uncle Rog

civey, several of us did file claims with Tredit Tire for damages and tire replacement. After submitting pictures and receipts they pretty much paid me for my time and trouble, and covered new GY's. It was well worth the efffort........... Check with HL to see who is supplying them these days and proceed from there.