Anybody using a receiver hitch carrier between the Tow Vehicle and Fiver?

I posted under Tow Vehicles and have no responses. Wondering if anyone is using a Class 3 or 4 hitch carrier on their TV. I would like to a 19" x 30" built to carry my generator. My only concern is clearance between the carrier and the Bighorn. Mine is still in winter storage so I cannot measure. I know I can walk between the bumper and camper but have no recollection of approximate distance. Am I smoking crack or might this just work? I have a F350 CC SB with a automatic slider hitch. I would have to fab something to carry in the front of my truck bed since the hitch covers floor space. Thought this would be easier in/out since I can lift the generator to the carrier. I really would appreciate feedback since the fabricator is waiting on me to get back to him.

olcoon

I can't respond on your situation, but when we first got our Elk Ridge I posted a question about having a Hitch Haul on the truck. The answer I received was that even though there would be clearance between the tv & 5er there probably would be a problem in a turn...especially a sharp turn.

I agree if you have the typical, off the shelf carrier. They are usually 48"-60" in width and ~20" deep. This is the reason I am looking to have one made that is 30" wide- to give me clearance in turns. Any recollection how much distance between bumper and fiver I might expect? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

danemayer

Hi almostretired,

My tailgate, when lowered, extends about 17" past the edge of the rear bumper. When it's down, there's only about 4 or 5 inches of clearance to the front of the trailer, if that much. In a turn, if down, the tailgate would slice a huge gash in the trailer. If you had a 30" wide "tailgate" I think it would just result in a gash that's not quite as wide.

scottyb

Have you considered puting a receiver on the front? I've thought about puting one on for a winch or possibly to carry a small motor cycle, since my garage is full.

Thanks Scotty. I have seen a few examples of front mounted hitch carriers. Wasn't my first choice due to expense of second receiver but I thank you for reminding me of the option. I will have to investigate but perhaps we will get lucky and someone can chime in that is already smart on the topic.

happykraut

Almostretired, you might try this. Remove the tailgate (it lifts right off) and then hitch up. Lay a big piece of heavy cardboard in your truck bed with x number of inches sticking out. Hold the cardboard down with a block of wood. Drive your rig and make the sharpest turn that you would ever encounter. Keep an eye on the cardboard to see how much clearance you have. Adjust the depth by sliding the cardboard in and out of the bed. Trim the sides to check for the width you need. Once you get the cardboard adjusted for width and depth, you'll know exactly how large you can fabricate your carrier.

Dear Happy,
That's so simple! I believe I will try that once I take my camper out of storage. Darn groundhog got things wrong this year and I still have a foot and a half of snow in the yard. I do think it's a long shot from the excellent feedback I received so far but it's worth it to me to find out for sure before I look into a front hitch. I know I could struggle and put the Yamaha 3K into the side storage or the front and right corner of the truck bed but life would be simpler if a hitch carrier works. I'm also thinking about putting in a slider into the side storage as a Plan B...or is that a Plan C?
Thanks for the info and ideas from everyone. This forum community is the best!