RV quality

Have been doing as much research into rv purchase as my feeble mind can handle at any one time. One bothersome theme that seems to flow through the several forums that I read is the number of long time rvers lamenting the continual decline in initial quality of rv products. I realize that Heartland has only been around for about 10 years, but know that there are quite a few members of this forum who have owned several of their products. How do you feel todays quality compares to that of their earlier products. Thanks.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have owned several brand of RV's prior to purchasing our Heartland Bighorn and I can tell you that the quality, craftsmanship, attention to detail and the customer service from Heartland has been second to none! Anytime you have something that moves down the road at freeway speeds, going over uneven terrain, causing the flexing and movement of the frame and entire structure, it stands to reason that there will be more problems than something built stationary. With that being said, Heartland has a great mix of quality construction with weight saving ideas and remarkable craftsmanship. I am in no way saying that there will not be issues if you purchase a Heartland product, but they do stand behind their product amazingly well and are constantly improving their product lines based on issues that we have and bring to their attention. This website is constantly monitored by the Heartland engineers and product line managers to find better ways of doing something, corrections to things that do not work well or just innovative new ideas. If you choose to go with a Heartland product, you would not be sorry and no matter what product you choose, you will be getting a better product that the competition in the same category of RV you purchase.

Rod Ditrich

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I cannot agree more. This BH is our fifth camper, and the BEST to date. Customer service is unsurpassed. We have only had a minor issue with our icemaker, and customer service took care of reimbursing us due to a leaking water line that was installed post-factory. We think the world of Heartland, and all of these wonderful people on this forum. You will not regret purchasing a Heartland product. :).

Rod............thanks for the reply. I had already determined we are going to go with Heartland. I guess my question was really intended to help me decide if we should continue to consider a new unit (who doesn't like new) if a several year old unit might actually be better built.
Where are you at in Washington? We live in Alaska, but will be operating out of Sequim with out rig. Will take it south and start doing the snowbird thing.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
KnightsWatch,

We are from Olympia, but we camp in Diamond Point at a KM Resort near Sequim several times each year and love that area. Let us know where you guys will be and maybe we can hook up on one of our trips to Sequim. We can't wait until we retire in a few more years to be able to start doing the snowbird thing too!

You won't regret the Heartland purchase. We purchased our Bighorn new and do not regret the purchase at all. My father owns a 2010 Bighorn and he has had great experiences with his as well. Conversely, I purchased a new Raptor in 2009 and had a TON of problems with that, so I feel that the key to purchasing a new RV is to do the research and make sure that you are getting the options, amenities and the floor plan that is right for you. The newer RV's have a lot of niceties that were not available in recent years past, so there are some great things that the newer fifth wheels have in them. I guess you just have to decide what you want in a RV. The nice thing about buying used is that someone else takes the hit of the initial depreciation from new to used, but then you have the unknown of how it was treated and what problems you might be inheriting when you buy used. IMHO

Rod Ditrich

Rod............thanks for the reply. I had already determined we are going to go with Heartland. I guess my question was really intended to help me decide if we should continue to consider a new unit (who doesn't like new) if a several year old unit might actually be better built.
Where are you at in Washington? We live in Alaska, but will be operating out of Sequim with out rig. Will take it south and start doing the snowbird thing.