Need help with what to do after tow driver dropped our 5er *into* his bed

ParkIt

Yep. That image you have in your head is correct.
Our truck is getting the left rear bearing rebuilt so I called a license, bonded and insured company. They gave me a quote and I met them where our 5th wheel was parked. When one of the front legs got sticky and wouldn't budge, I told my husband to grab the mallet and tap it out but no, the driver decided to hitch it and back it up while it was still on one leg which also put DH in peril. He wasn't even lined up on the receiver before putting it into R.
Guess what happened next...aside from me running across the lot away from the other campers swearing enough to make a sailor blush.

The front cap was sitting on his bed with the hitch shoved up underneath and so he decides to try to pull forward at which point my husband did his military voice of "S T O P". Driver stops and gets out. He says "Oh, that didn't do any damage" as I'm looking at the bedroom pushed up from underneath and can now visibly see the support ribs straining to mid coach. Husband got under the leg, used a flat board and a hydraulic lift and got it up high enough on both sides for the driver to pull out ripping the neck plastic and entire wiring system just hanging there. "Still doesn't look damaged to me...". DUDE, YOUR TAIL GATE IS BOWED AND SO ARE THE REAR PANELS OF YOUR TRUCK! (hand.superglue.forehead). Once back at the house I immediately took the caulking gun to the top cap since there is a quarter inch gap on the entry side to center and a smaller length gap on the other side. I'm not even going to try to open the slides.

Since I couldn't take it anymore I got in my baby truck and called USAA to file a claim which takes awhile and its better DH deals with driver than me.
We don't have any really good shops round here (Seattle area) but I do know there is a no longer making trailer plant in Eastern Washington that just picked up on selling Heartland. I also know many people who have had major problems take it over there for repair - they are well versed in slides (the kitchen and entertainment are way off kilter now) and I'll also call Heartland to see if they have any suggestions as to where to take it.

The worst part: we just finished packing everything in the house, did all the outside work and all I'm left with is cleaning the inside as it was supposed to be on the market Thursday. Now where am I going to stay?

Any help would be appreciated to get this done as soon as possible. It did some real damage to our only used 2 months HL :(

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wow! Pretty sad situation. Hopefully this was a stand up company and they'll take care of everything. Sadly, you may have to get an attorney.

wdk450

ParkIt:
I am so sad to hear of your accident. I hope you took a lot of photos for insurance/legal purposes. Hopefully the adjuster is good and knows some good RV collision repair sources in your area. Heartland service also keeps a list of preferred service vendors. Another resource is RVServiceReviews.com . See if your RV insurance has any provisons for housing. Maybe you could put out a Craigslist ad for a 5er to rent for a short time. Think of all of those RV's just sitting in storage all the time.

Believe it or not, you will get through this and have your repaired 5th wheel back to use.

ParkIt

Wow! Pretty sad situation. Hopefully this was a stand up company and they'll take care of everything. Sadly, you may have to get an attorney.
The nice part about USAA - you push them in the right direction and they use their attorney's. Its either that or I know too much about law and companies after suing two of the largest mortgage lenders back to back - successfully.

ParkIt:
I am so sad to hear of your accident. I hope you took a lot of photos for insurance/legal purposes. Hopefully the adjuster is good and knows some good RV collision repair sources in your area. Heartland service also keeps a list of preferred service vendors. Another resource is RVServiceReviews.com . See if your RV insurance has any provisons for housing. Maybe you could put out a Craigslist ad for a 5er to rent for a short time. Think of all of those RV's just sitting in storage all the time.

Believe it or not, you will get through this and have your repaired 5th wheel back to use.
Since we are moving out and not officially on the market, we have no housing allowance but I did take a lot of pictures...and video...the kind judges, lawyers and insurance companies find "interesting". Even before smart phones I carried a disposable camera in every vehicle. I learned that from the first idiot who did a hit and run on me.
I'll check the site you mentioned, every little bit of information helps.

mikeandconnie

I seen a two year old Bighorn dropped off the hitch and really didn't see a lot of damage to the rig, just the truck bed. But it bent the frame so the adjuster totalled it out. Make sure you check the frame..

ParkIt

It's raining. Of course. Good thing I sealed up any gaps in the top and taped them down as well. Checked with the flashlight and its holding up!
I seen a two year old Bighorn dropped off the hitch and really didn't see a lot of damage to the rig, just the truck bed. But it bent the frame so the adjuster totalled it out. Make sure you check the frame..

That is my primary concern and I'll be pretty upset because I like this floor plan and Heartland rarely produces it...that and the lighter color of cabinets...and everything else really. USAA is sending out an adjuster in a few days and the weird part is I took pictures of it 2 days before and emailed them to the park owner (issue with long term renters were fencing on what was supposed to be our lot so I emailed them to him) and USAA is using those to show it had zero damage prior to today. Funny how little bits like that make a huge difference overall, and I took pictures of the entire interior to show what insurance was covering as far as interior everything as well and that shows no wear or damage on anything.

If it does come to that we'll get enough to purchase a new heartland because they rate them higher here since they just approved 1 dealership and 1 authorized repair shop in the state. I'll buy another from Texas but keep it there, my school friend has been begging me to come and stay down there to work the ranch.

Life is funny that way...sometimes you need a nudge and sometimes you need to be shoved over a cliff ;)

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
We feel so bad for you two. As you said, in different words, there is a reason for everything, and everything has a reason. Stay calm and focused, and keep your wits about you now that you are heading towards a resolution. We wish you the best outcome. Keep us posted. We all need to "learn a lesson" every now and then. Don't we? I think the Texas gig sounds like a winner. What part of Texas?

HappyKayakers

Since you're in the Seattle area, check out Wescraft RV and Truck repair in Fife. I had some extensive damage on my rear cap last summer (self-inflicted) and they did a super job. The end cap looks brand new again. They even got a replacement decal from the factory. They were an authorized service center for my insurance so I only had to pay the deductible out of pocket.

ParkIt

Since you're in the Seattle area, check out Wescraft RV and Truck repair in Fife. I had some extensive damage on my rear cap last summer (self-inflicted) and they did a super job. The end cap looks brand new again. They even got a replacement decal from the factory. They were an authorized service center for my insurance so I only had to pay the deductible out of pocket.
I'm cracking up a bit since I called Wescraft this morning first thing. They won't take it if there is potential structural damage though Fife RV does and HeartLand referred me to them anyway. Fife RV takes the time to walk an adjuster through the entire build explaining what can and cannot be fixed, the repair manager told me if there is any frame damage - it gets totaled.

I did spend time back on the internet to see what the dealer we bought from had and came across the "Gateway". Somehow I missed that unit and talking to a rep at HL, they said it is brand new to the line and they aren't sure yet which category to put it in. The dealer in Texas has sold 5 so far, previous and current HL owners like them since they look and feel like a BH or BC but have smaller tanks and such to lighten the weight. If it comes down to having to get a new one, DH and I are probably going to pick that one up even though they are just starting that series.

The other thing I had a laugh over with the rep at HeartLand is how they finally put the couch and recliners in the right place and also offer theater recliners as well as getting rid of the sticky border and a few other things.
"We do listen to our customers and what's really nice is we only need to send one email and they take it seriously." (regarding changes, what we do and don't like etc)
I don't know of any other company that has that ability what-so-ever, it totally rocks and another reason we will stay with HeartLand. :)

ParkIt

We feel so bad for you two. As you said, in different words, there is a reason for everything, and everything has a reason. Stay calm and focused, and keep your wits about you now that you are heading towards a resolution. We wish you the best outcome. Keep us posted. We all need to "learn a lesson" every now and then. Don't we? I think the Texas gig sounds like a winner. What part of Texas?
Thanks for the encouragement :)
We've been through a lot in life and I'm getting to the age of "I have insurance, I know the laws, I'm not worried because its not worth getting worked up over". USAA is baffled at how I can find humor in this situation but hey, life is funny that way.

As far as Texas goes its just outside of Magnolia. Beautiful country there and it would be awesome to work in the stables again. The hardest part will be to get the work done for the day without laughing to tears and talking too much to my lifelong friend - we've been that way even over the internet. We also have to stay outta trouble but that's an entirely different story.... ;)

ParkIt

Good news so far...after sending a ton of pictures to USAA (thanks for all the factory build pictures!) they had an adjuster that called this morning. He knows the Heart Land line and looked at the pictures and is certain they can fix it and has spent time at the factory so he knows how they are built and how other units don't stand up as well.

I'm hoping that is the case, while the new units are nice I really really really want to keep the one we have. DH and I discussed having a smaller AC unit put in the bedroom and a 6 point leveling system put on while its there which we have to pay for but hey, its going to be in the shop where they do retrofits anyway.

Wish us good luck on this :)