Reloading a New to Us Heartland 3670 RV

jimtoo

We have been Heartlanders for almost 7 years now I think... Over 5 in the last Big Horn 3055RL.... Well we have been wanting a 3670RL and found a nice clean used one. which we traded for. Over a period of time, 5 years or so, when you go on a trip you always take something that you did not take before. BUT, when you get home you never take it back out... or at least we did not... or when we went someplace and forgot something,, we bought it and it never got taken out.

It took us several days to remove all the STUFF from the old 3055,,, now we are almost through reloading the 3670 and going through the STUFF we took out because we were not going to put all the STUFF back in the newer unit... because we did not need all the STUFF. Well,, so far I have removed about 10 lbs. of STUFF, so I know I will be saving money by not hauling as much STUFF around that we don't need. But I did buy a small folding table and we added a small end table and a chair, so I'm not sure if I removed enough STUFF now.

So tomorrow I will be towing to nearby mechanical facility to get the radiator hoses on the tow vehicle replaced (preventive maintenance) and packing the wheel bearings on the 3670 because it has never been done according to original owner. I was going to do it myself, but have been kinda down in the back a little and did not want to take a chance on doing any damage to my back. So I will supervise and inspect the bearings. (Permission has been granted by the shop owner.)

Now getting to more weight problems.. I am going to get the tires replaced with GY G614's G rated.. now I know these are heavier tires than what's on the unit now, Freestar's. So my question is, since the tire weights more,, is this adding more weight to the total load? Or when the tire is rotating, does the centrifugal force off set the additional weight of all the steel belts. I know each tire is going to weight about 15 Lbs. more,, so am I adding 7.5lbs to the bottom ,, but is it subtracting 7.5lbs from the top when it's spinning down the highway due to centrifugal force? What is the answer?

:) Jim M :)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Boy Jim do I know what you mean about transferring STUFF from old to new. I had my Pinehurst packed "just so" and seemed to carry everything I would ever need. When we left Virginia for our wintering in Florida last December, we had no plans to trade RV's, so I left all the regular STUFF in the trailer. Getting the new San Antonio, I knew we would have to reconfigure where things went because of the different layout....but....oh my gosh....what a lot of "now why did I ever pack that" second guessing. As I see it a whole lot of STUFF became a bunch of JUNK I really didn't need to be carrying. Biggest problem is trying to get all that JUNK back to Virginia from Florida. We made it but it sure wasn't easy. I'm still not done rearranging and redistributing, but at least now, at home, I can remove and store elsewhere.

Rickhansen

Jim,
The tires are rotating when you're parked on the scale, so weight is weight. I understand your point, the axles and chassis do not support this weight, but keep in mind that your truck, hitch, and trailer still have to pull it and stop it.

jnbhobe

Jim, Get that STUFF all straightened out before Goshen, I don't want you shuffelling that extra STUFF to your neighbors.

plumberdude

Hey There Jim,
That was a good one. If you take the weight of your new stuff and divide it buy 4 then take the speed that you are going to go, 60mph, so S>4=wpt...
see ya in Kerrville

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Jim you have a very good point on the weight of the new tires. It's called "Unsprung weight'. The extra weight in the rotating tire does effect your unit more than hauling it inside the RV, especially when braking.
link

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Congrats Jim! You should have more room for all that STUFF now right? So actually you can accumulate some more stuff if you feel the need. See you in Goshen...

oldmannj

Hey Jim, Congrats to you on the new 3670! I'm sure with all the extra space, you'll be able stuff your stuff into places you never knew stuff could be stuffed. As to the tire issue they now have reduced fat air, you get 100 psi but it only weighs 50 psi thereby reducing your cgvw by almost 400 lbs if you use it in all 8 tires!!!! HEY, 400 pounds of NEW stuff to stuff into the places you hadn't stuffed already!!! ED :angel:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Where are the pictures? I have to see the STUFF to know how much it weighs. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Congrats Jim and Bette, Great choice that's the one I liked real well.. Enjoy and will see you guys in Goshen..