ATF: Big Country - Correct Track

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The Correct Track is only installed but not aligned. The alignment should be done after most of your stuff has been put in your camper. As you put your stuff into the camper, the weight distribution will change from when it came off the assembly line therefore it would be better to load the camper, then align. Its up to the customer if they want it aligned.

jbeletti

That will be another $400.... Thank You!
And another $100 to balance your tires!

Aligning Correct Track should be about an hour of dealer labor from what I've been told by Mobile Outfitters. As Nabo mentioned, this should not be done until your RV is loaded the way you travel with it.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Aligning Correct Track should be about an hour of dealer labor from what I've been told by Mobile Outfitters. As Nabo mentioned, this should not be done until your RV is loaded the way you travel with it.

Jim... I hope you are right, I was just repeating what I was told by a Heartland rep.

danemayer

Let's keep some perspective.

The way Lippert describes this is: "With Correct Track, RV'ers and trailer enthusiasts alike now have the ability to keep their suspension in alignment."

Until recently, no trailers had CorrectTrack installed and there was no reason to think that you needed to get the suspension aligned after purchasing. And there was no easy way to realign the suspension front to rear because the hanger brackets are welded to the frame. Now that trailers do have CorrectTrack, you have the ability to make such corrections.

If you don't do anything, it's just like having a 2012 or earlier model.

Last year Camping World was doing the Laser Alignment check for $99 (less if you catch a coupon).

Westwind

So what you are telling me is that my 2012 Bighorn 3070 might (Big Might) have come from the company aligned, but once I put my stuff in the FW it became out of alignment.
What did we do before "Correct Track" ?? I think this needs to be around a while before I Bite!

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Dan is correct, we just had our 2014 laser checked at Camping World for $99. Our selling dealer does not have the Laser system yet. It had been about 3 weeks since delivery and ALL the "STUFF" was loaded in AND under! We were within 1/8", so all is well. They did have a "special" on the wall for Laser Check for $49.99.....fine print....."expired 12/12"........Still on wall in April:confused::confused:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think that the Correct Track was created as the "solution" to the "problem" of poorly aligned axles, which most of us don't discover until we have irregular wear on the tires or worse.

Frames/running gear are apparently "out of alignment" often enough to support the need for a solution.

It's up to us to be proactive or reactive about it....

Just like many other maintenance items we have when owning an RV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ParkIt

I think that the Correct Track was created as the "solution" to the "problem" of poorly aligned axles, which most of us don't discover until we have irregular wear on the tires or worse.

Frames/running gear are apparently "out of alignment" often enough to support the need for a solution.

It's up to us to be proactive or reactive about it....

Just like many other maintenance items we have when owning an RV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
No wonder I didn't get the idea of "correct track", I make sure everything is aligned once a year since we aren't using it as often as we will be soon so more checking more often. Lucky enough to have a big rig shop 6 miles from the house, he charged $79 to check the alignment, axles, bearings and yokes. I'm always checking them anyway but its good to have a shop do it as well.
It kind sucks being the DW who takes care of everything mechanical and is constantly researching such topics, never said I was normal ;)

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Jim... I hope you are right, I was just repeating what I was told by a Heartland rep.

Now I'm wondering if he said for a hundred dollars and I heard four hundred dollars! lol I feel better now! I'm sure I will find a way to spend the other $300 that I already had allocated for the alignment. (tpms / air bags / etc. etc., does it ever end?)

Rmcgrath53

I spoke with the inventer and he hooked me up with an installer in Indiana. It is very easy to check your own alignment. First take and set your rig level as can be in a parking lot or whatever. Then run a plumb bob or laser level from the center of your kingpin. Now this is where you may need help, put a mark on the tire or rim on both curb side and driver side (either measure from ground up to a mark on the tire or rim. ) what I do is put it on the tread closest to the kingpin on both right and left tires.one guy holds to the mark and the other guy measures to the plumbed center kingpin mark. the measurements should be equal or within a 1/4 inch or so. If it isn't then you have some adjustments to make . Also measure the center point of one tire to the next on both curb side and driverside. They should also be equal. Hope that helps someone.

danemayer

We've had some prior discussion on another thread about axle position when you stop. If you've just gone around a corner, or backed into a storage space, the EZ-Flex suspension allows wheels to move somewhat independently, dragging the axles with them. So to get a more accurate reading, you probably need to pull straight ahead and back straight up a couple of times. When I had my Landmark in at Magnum Trailer to check alignment, they insisted the only way to get a true reading is to suspend the trailer from the frame - wheels off the ground. They didn't use a laser - just measured distance from the kingpin mark on the ground.

I'd also note that when I had the Laser Alignment done at Camping World, I was very unimpressed with the accuracy. The mounting of the laser tool allowed for quite a bit of movement when the tech pressed the buttons. He also was not using the reflective plates at the tires - he bounced the laser beam off the inside of the tire treads. He tested repeatedly and got wildly different results. After many samples, he concluded that the alignment was within 1/8", which is far less than the minimum change that can be achieved with Correct Track.

This might have been a deficiency at this particular Camping World, so I don't want to say that the laser alignment is not worthwhile. Just that it would have better results if used the way the inventor intended. And it might be more accurate to have the wheels off the ground, suspended by the frame.

ParkIt

Now I'm more confused than before or just can't picture how it works...what is the difference between EZ-Flex suspension and Correct Track? Would they work together or should I just rely on having a shop check it and how often should it be checked?
Our BC has the EZ-Flex suspension.

dave10a

It is admirable that Heartland includes Correct Track. I am told not many Dealers, including the Camping World that I purchased mine, have the capability to properly align the axles. The alignment should be done at the factory and checked after the trailer is loaded for travel by the dealer. I don't think Heartland is properly handling this factory installed feature. It is like having never lube bearings that are not properly greased at the factory. Come on Heartland do right by your customers and align them at the factory. I am also amazed at how many on this forum make excuses or support Heartland's for not doing what is reasonable and expected. My trailer axles were out of alignment causing feathering on the rear tires and it would have been nice to have Correct Track installed on my trailer.

Eddhuy

danemayer;it might be more accurate to have the wheels off the ground said:
I thought the idea was that it would change when loaded and that it should be checked as typically loaded. If we check with tires suspended I don't doubt it would be more accurate but is it going to change when loaded?

Rmcgrath53

When my system was installed they did make me back up and pull forward a couple times to get me all lined up .They did not jack up the frame before checking the measurements. It made a huge difference when installed . It is also a good thing to have the knowledge to check it yourself every so often to know if you have a problem or not. My system was installed all loaded up. I am glad it was installed.