Do You feel safe in your fifth wheel?

Have you had any security issues while traveling?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ct0218

CT, your right about the Dragoon, kinda like the 16" gun on a battleship. I found a thing on YOU TUBE that shows loading and firing a Dragoon, its pretty cool. Not sure if its a real or replica one, but real impressive to look at. The colt 45 I have, my Dad bought during WW11, its Nickel plated. Bob
There were a lot of replicas made in Italy in the 80's I believe. The real deal would set you back $5K or more.

ct0218

Being an X-Marine, retired from LAPD and working 14 years as head of security for a private company, I am not impressed with tasers. They are a one shot opportunity for one suspect, hoping for only one suspect that not too high on drugs to feel the pain. Tasers are for close in incidents, if you miss or the suspect doesn't respond, you are in trouble and the suspect is more determined to hurt you, then it is a case stand and fist fight or "Run Forrest Run."
Nothing is more impressive than the sound of the slide noise cranking a round into the chamber, if the sound doesn't work, the next step is pull the trigger.

Forrest
Same feeling here too. I was an instructor in the Army (MP) and 20 years with the Tallahassee Police Dept. Pepper spray and tazers have their place but both have limitations especially with multiple suspects. With me, if there was more than one, then my .45 was usually in my hand. And my 12 gauge with 00 buck was usually close by!

truknutt

Committed Member
Have you seen this little beauty? It's "The Judge" by Taurus International.

"What a name! It’s based on the fact that many judges are now carrying it into the courtroom with them – and for good reason. We know of no better self-defense firearm. Whether loading all 45s – all .410s or alternating them in the cylinder, the Judge is the ultimate shotgun/revolver duo." --Taurus International Manufacturing Inc.

Watch the video, too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
cto218, I think the "Kidd" is confused. Your gun you carry in your pants, your weapon in your hand. I have to get it out of the gun safe, no pun intended, because I want to find out which model Dragoon it is. Sounds to me like we could have a shoot out at the OK Corral.LOL Bob;)

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I have never had any sort of problem out in the "wilds" so to speak, however, my personal favorites are the Colt model of 1911, and the Winchester 1200 crammed full of #1 Buck. Either one is a show stopper, and out in the desert any over penetration issues are moot, you don't have to worry about somebody in the next room.

Forrest Fetherolf

Howdy, I have never had any sort of problem out in the "wilds" so to speak, however, my personal favorites are the Colt model of 1911, and the Winchester 1200 crammed full of #1 Buck. Either one is a show stopper, and out in the desert any over penetration issues are moot, you don't have to worry about somebody in the next room.

Rog,

I agree, the best weapon is something simple to operate, effective up to 25 yards and small enough that it doesn't need to be mounted on a M1A1 tank. The 357 mags and 44 mags are great for shooting people hiding behind parked cars or walls.

Remember, the penal code allows one to use deadly force to stop a fleeing felon, however the acceptable policy has been changed to use deadly force only when in fear of you life or the life of another. So, if the suspect his headed your way, in close, and you are in fear of your life....shoot. If the suspect is headed away....don't shoot. The courts and jury should consider what a reasonable person would do in the same situation.

Forrest

Delaine and Lindy

We have traveled thru out the lower 48 and haven't had a problem. I must admit I'm permited and do own a weapon, do I travel with a weapon??? I will let you wonder, does he have a weapon??? I only lock the main door. Don't lock the compartment doors. They are so easy to open. GBY....

Uncle Rog

Thanks Forrest, that pretty much sums up the protocol. When I was issued my CCW that was really emphasized. Self defense is just that, self defense.

RickNB

We have a 2007 3200ES we just picked up last May..(traded our 2800RL 2007 for the 32)...as stated all cargo hold locks are the same...and lets face it locks only keep out the honest folk..if someone wants into our basement..have at it...I'd rather they not wreck the doors getting in...

As for the 5er unit? It seems the locks are unique esp the deadbolts...whenever our dealer sends someone to us for service ( and we're not going to be home) they request we NOT lock the deadbolt, just lock the door lock...because they cannot get in if we lock the deadbolt..they do not have a master...

jbeletti

On my 2005 Landmark, the same key worked both the standard door lock and the door dead-bolt lock. Later, maybe 2006, the dead-bolt was keyed differently.

Jim

jandvs

Our new 3210 has both handle and dead bolt keyed the same. Regarding the deadbolt, I don't know if the "bump lock" issue applies to RV's as it does to houses, but a post early in this thread about a house with locked doors being entered by a workman who supposedly had a "master system key" reminded me of this. In case you haven't seen any information on this, Google "bump lock" and check it out. You can easily buy a set of bump keys for $35 which will enable you to open numerous household deadbolts with no evidence of tampering. This may be what the workman was using. There are You-Tube videos giving instructions on how to do it.

There are a few bump-proof locks available, one being the Schlage Primus.

StevieWonder

Remember, the penal code allows one to use deadly force to stop a fleeing felon, however the acceptable policy has been changed to use deadly force only when in fear of you life or the life of another.

Not in Texas. You are also allowed to protect your property even if your life is not in danger.

My son used to think I was some kind of survivalist because I have a small collection of guns (pistols, rifles, shotguns) and a sizable cache of ammo. His thinking was altered during Rita when miscreants were plundering and pillaging while stuck in endless lines of traffic trying to escape Houston.

I'm carry a Colt Python .357mag and a S&W 9mm auto.

snuffy

Not in Texas. You are also allowed to protect your property even if your life is not in danger.

My son used to think I was some kind of survivalist because I have a small collection of guns (pistols, rifles, shotguns) and a sizable cache of ammo. His thinking was altered during Rita when miscreants were plundering and pillaging while stuck in endless lines of traffic trying to escape Houston.

I'm carry a Colt Python .357mag and a S&W 9mm auto.

Nice equipment if engaged in a knife fight.:D