Do You feel safe in your fifth wheel?

Have you had any security issues while traveling?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would think that a 44.40 Colt Dragoon:eek::eek: should handle any problems with a break in. And you could get any door open with it should you lose the keys. Bob :D:D:eek:the cat

Bob&Patty

Big Bang

Steviewonder, There was a show on the History Channel that said that my old Dragoon was the first magnum. 60 grains of black powder, cap and ball. Maybe not to good at long range, but real effective up close and personal. Dont want to have to carry it too far, weights 10#. No wonder John Wayne walked sideways. Bob :D:D:eek:

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
My sweet little 5'7" wife is meaner than any pistol out there. We keep 2 pistols with us. We're both retired law enforcement and have a very cynical and suspicious side, anyway. But, I'd like to have a second deadbolt lock just for peace of mind when we're not in the unit. We leave it in Dallas at a small mom & pop park. She still works as a contractor for the PD she retired from and spends 8 days a month in it. When you're on the road, you never know what might pop-up.

jbeletti

‘Expert’ steals entertainment system from store RV

Sort of related to this thread. Here's a link to a story in the Des Moines Register (also attached as a pdf) that tells about a thief who apparently knew he could gain access to the inside of the coach from the outside access door to the laundry chute / clothes basket storage area.

I know a lot of Heartland models have the in-floor laundry basket area. Not sure if any models have exterior access to the basket area but if they do - "heads-up".

Jim

Attachments

• des_moines_register_article.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 27

Dusty

I have to tell you, it's comforting to me to know there are lots of folks who go armed. In case I forgot to bring mine, I would hope my next door camp mate would help defend me.

Dusty

Bob&Patty

I have a great idea. Lets hire Joe Horn from Houston (I think) Texas. He has a 12 ga pump and not afraid to use it. Dont have to send 2 illegals back now. Bob:D:D:eek:

Heartland Security

I have not had any problems with security. The first week I had the Heartland, I had all the locks changed. The 751 key works on "most' RV storage areas and that is not cool. I am sure that the system I have is also installed in many other units, but not as many as had the 751.

I also intend to change again to the barrel type locks. We all have a lot of bucks tied up in what is in the cargo space, so it is best to do all we can to protect it.:)

ct0218

Between my Bighorn locks and a 9mm Beretta, I feel fairly safe, yup

Dusty
I don't want to tick them off, so I carry my old duty .45 Colt. I saw one guy that had been hit by 3 9mm rounds keep coming. Won't happen with the .45 ACP. The sound alone is enough to scare some.

Bob&Patty

ct, I have one of those to. But I like my 44.40 dragoon, makes a big round hole and is very loud.:eek: Bob

Last edited:

ct0218

Got news for you Bob-that is a hand held cannon. They'll die of a heart attack or a gunshot.
Just curious--original 1850's era or replica?

Forrest Fetherolf

I am comfortable with my 9mm Glock, laser sight, with Black Talon hollow point and Model 870 Remington 18" barrel, pistol grip/folding stock, with 12 gauge magnum double "0" buckshot. The Glock is always close to me and the Remington is nearby in the 5er.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
You guys are all gunslingers! Being in Vietnam sort of steered me away from firearms, however, anyone know of a reliable taser gun? I would rather disable someone temporarily, than your methods, although I don't blame you and you can camp next to me any ole time! LOL

jbeletti

I was thinking the same thing Larry. Not sure that non-LEOs can buy the tasers. But it may be a good option if we can.

Forrest and others, that's a lot of fire power out there with RVers. If we were all at the same rally, I'd feel pretty safe :)

Jim

Last edited:

Forrest Fetherolf

Being an X-Marine, retired from LAPD and working 14 years as head of security for a private company, I am not impressed with tasers. They are a one shot opportunity for one suspect, hoping for only one suspect that not too high on drugs to feel the pain. Tasers are for close in incidents, if you miss or the suspect doesn't respond, you are in trouble and the suspect is more determined to hurt you, then it is a case stand and fist fight or "Run Forrest Run."
Nothing is more impressive than the sound of the slide noise cranking a round into the chamber, if the sound doesn't work, the next step is pull the trigger.

Forrest

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Yes, Tasers are available to the public. The LEO taser is set for 5 second discharge. The non-leo taser is set for as much as a 30 second discharge. The S.O. where I worked for 34 years has moved the Taser to the third method of control in the force continuum, they're that reliable and good. No after effects have ever been reported and the Courts throughout the US have never found against the use of the Taser. Myuch more effective than pepper spray and no after effects. Of course, the law enforcement community must annually be trained in an 8 hour course to be certified to carry, but the public can simply purchase one for around $700 and aren't required to be trained. Go figure...

Bob&Patty

Booooooooom!!!!!!!

CT, your right about the Dragoon, kinda like the 16" gun on a battleship. I found a thing on YOU TUBE that shows loading and firing a Dragoon, its pretty cool. Not sure if its a real or replica one, but real impressive to look at. The colt 45 I have, my Dad bought during WW11, its Nickel plated. Bob

jbeletti

Forrest and Jay,

Thanks for the insight on the tasers, their effectiveness and their availability.

Jim