Ventured into the satellite world and so far a bit disappointed

wdk450

John, Lisa, Calvin, CJ and our mascot Madusa the Boxer:
How does all of this internet use on the road with slingbox affect your carrier's data charges? If you use campground WiFi, are their systems up to the heavy data use of video programs?

danemayer

Update on dish network and the sling box. I have added the sling box to my home's DVR capable receiver. I can now access my receiver through the web. I have had it working on my Macbook and the wife's iPad. This allows me to view any recorded program, watch live TV (as long as the DVR is not recording something and if it is you will be watching what is recording), and/or set the DVR while away from home. I know that apple sells connections that allow you to view your device screen on a TV so this will be my next test. If this works, as campgrounds add web connections, I will not even have to set up the dish or anything. I will have access to my complete dish lineup no matter where I decide to go. I have had Dish Network for years and have had no problems. There are NO additional fees for this service and they even gave me the sling box device and the wi fi connector for free. This was done as a loyalty bonus since I have had them for so long.

Campground WiFi bandwidth is usually pretty limited and most of the places that use TengoInternet are now limiting speed after you download a certain number of bytes. So you may in theory be able to get your programming from the Sling, but in practice it may be problematic.

Theresau

In regard to sports - we are avid Detroit Tigers fans - usually never miss a game because we DVR it. When we were in FL in 2012, Directv found a way for us to watch the Detroit sports channel 663 (without black outs and at a minimal charge - $5 a month). When we got home I had them turn it off (they required I have it for 30 days.)

I thought I could replicate this this year by adding the sports channel and it didn't work - had blackouts and it cost us $12.99 a month.

In regard to local channels - they kept our billing address the same but changed our receiving address so that we received FL local channels. When we got home they changed it back to our normal local.

Directv's customer service is just outstanding. Each time we did this they stayed on the phone until they were sure the change worked (they are 24/7).

Theresa

Wolfpackers

Update on dish network and the sling box. I have added the sling box to my home's DVR capable receiver. I can now access my receiver through the web. I have had it working on my Macbook and the wife's iPad. This allows me to view any recorded program, watch live TV (as long as the DVR is not recording something and if it is you will be watching what is recording), and/or set the DVR while away from home. I know that apple sells connections that allow you to view your device screen on a TV so this will be my next test. If this works, as campgrounds add web connections, I will not even have to set up the dish or anything. I will have access to my complete dish lineup no matter where I decide to go. I have had Dish Network for years and have had no problems. There are NO additional fees for this service and they even gave me the sling box device and the wi fi connector for free. This was done as a loyalty bonus since I have had them for so long.

Does this get into using data on your ipad, mifi plan? Most places I have stayed don't have wifi that would support serious data usage, so have been hesitant to try the slingbox option...but still considering it.

szewczyk_john

I just connected the system up and have tested the usage at a few local businesses that have wifi. it has worked at all of the spots that my son or I have tried it. In one spot my son could not use high def but was able to view in standard def. I did not think about data rates as I was planning on using this with web connections only. The real reason for us getting this up and running was the need for viewing an additional TV with 4 al ready hooked up in the house but since it is hooked up, I figured that we could use it this way. If it doesn't work then I revert back to throwing the dish up on my RV roof. We do not have any trips planned until August so I will not be able to test this until then but I did find this is from the from the dish anywhere website:Network and Bandwidth : We recommend a downstream bandwidth of 3Mbps or higher for the smoothest playback experience.

porthole

Retired
So - back to satellite TV discussions.

We had DirecTV installed at our house. Seems some Wild Woman from down south took care of some of the pesky trees that were still an issue.

Our installer told me I have "50 degrees" of view, equating to about 50 years of available view. Good enough for me.
We have the latest "Genie" whole house DVR system.
Basically a main set top box and 3 mini Genie clients, four TVs connected. All with RF remotes, so the clients can be hidden behind the TVs

I picked up on spec a portable SAT antenna dish tripod at Goshen. Why did you sell that Jon?

Now the fun begins.

This system is the SWM and means I need to add a few parts to the trailer.
I now have ready to install a SWM power inserter, "green label" splitter and a 2nd antenna dish ready to mount on the tripod.

Has anyone used the DirecTV Genie system in their trailer?

I had 4 TVs at the house hooked up, figuring the spare bedroom Genie client will be left in the trailer for the season.
Will it be as simple as taking the main box with us when we travel?

Advantage will be we will have all of our DVR stuff with us. Not sure how all this will work since at the house not only is there 1 main box and 3 clients, but also some type of internet connection box hooked up to the main receiver and the house WiFi router.

Those with a Travel'r on the roof, how do you do your portable backup, since a power inserter needs to be installed?

I'm hoping this will be as simple as just taking the box with us on the road and leaving the Genie client for the bedroom in all season.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
For those using a portable DTV antenna (the bigger HD version), how do you go about setting up your antenna once parked?

danemayer

Hi Duane,

It can be a little tricky to aim the larger Slimline 3 or Slimline 5 dishes. The first thing I'd recommend is the tripod from TV4RV.com. It's more expensive but lets you quickly level the dish so that as you rotate the dish you follow the satellite arc correctly. If not level, it's hard to get good readings from multiple satellites.

The second thing is the meter that helps you actually get the satellite (the right satellite) and fine tune. Some people get by with the $10-25 analog meters, but they don't care what satellite you're aimed at. You might have great signal strength from the wrong satellite. Some people use smartphone apps to help point to the correct satellite. I never had much success with that method. In fact, regardless of when using smart phone compasses, aiming apps, cheap compasses or expensive compasses, I never have much confidence in the readings and have always had trouble aiming based on these devices. I use a Tracker Plus meter from satpro.tv. It's been replaced with newer versions, so I would call satpro and get their recommendation. My Tracker Plus has one downside; although it's supposed to read SWM, it doesn't. So I have to set up with an older LNB and then swap to the SWM lnb. It's only an extra minute, but it's just a little annoying. The new ones probably do better.

I set up the tripod and aim the dish roughly using a compass along with azimuth setting from Directv. I set the elevation and skew as well. Then I hook up the meter and rotate/elevate the dish to find a signal. Tighten the mounting screws enough to hold and then refine the aiming until I have best possible signals on the bottom 2 of 3 indicators on the meter. Aiming usually takes 5-10 minutes and typically produces signal strength on 101 in the mid to upper 90s as shown on the receivers.

Regardless of which method/equipment you use, the biggest problem is when you have a signal, but it's from the wrong satellite. Outside, you think you've got it, but you get nothing at the receiver.

Theresau

That's why we quit using the meter and use the TV meter instead that way you know you are getting the right signal. Also meter must be disconnected - we learned that the hard way because we didn't disconnect it and couldn't figure out why we didn't get a signal inside (duh...but I believe we didn't have to disconnect it prior to the SWM system). We had the Slimline/SWM system for over 2 years until recently getting the Traveler. The only time it a lot of took time was when we used the meter because we picked up wrong satellites. We use the receiver now instead - determine the settings based on zip code - set those settings and usually within 5 minutes or so we get a good hit on 101 and then we carefully adjust so that we're getting good hits on all the satellites. The dish has even worked well for us when we've had trees. We were able to get a strong signal at the Goshen rally even though we were corner to corner with RVs - dish was able to get the signal over the RVs.

Directv put together the satellite dish and set up the SWM system for us for the coach for just the service charge - no charge for the equipment.

When we had the Traveler installed, the SWM system was already available...

Regardless of which method/equipment you use, the biggest problem is when you have a signal, but it's from the wrong satellite. Outside, you think you've got it, but you get nothing at the receiver.

porthole

Retired
I sent a note to Satpro about the meters, lot of choices. 2 seem fairly complete and not overly expensive. I'll wait to see what they have to say.

The Travel'r was a fair deal at Goshen, but at the time I did not know if I would be able to have it at home, and I wasn't going to pay for cable and SAT TV.

A decent meter and something like the Align A Site are about 1/4 the price of the automatic antenna, with no setup involved.

Mizmary

Just a thought. I would bet that the client needs to be on the same wifi network as the main box to talk to it. You may need to look into that. I could be (and often am) wrong but most of the things that talk to each other within your house need to be on the same side of your router.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Duane, I use the portable tripod.
I also use the $10 satellite finder.
Once I find my first bird I go inside to check the others. If adjustment is needed I take care it.
If I am getting the signal from the wrong satellite, I know from experience to move my dish about10° east.
I have been doing it this way for about five years and have no problems.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Theresau

Yes it was a great deal - $1700 fully installed. CW in Tampa wanted $2,500.

However, I continue to greatly suggest not bothering with a purchased meter as it will pick up wrong satellites (such as Dish) which is a waste of time.

We use a "two man" operation to set up the satellite. While Joe sets up the satellite dish and tripod outside, I look up the coordinates per Directv's satellite settings screen on the TV (by zip code). Joe then sets up the dish per these coordinates. He then minutely moves the dish from side to side whle I watch the satellite strength on Directv's satellite settings screen. It only usually takes a couple of minutes to do this. I will typically yell out - "you got it" when he gets good %'s and he then tightens everything, I hit continue on the screen and away we go.

Joe was very fond of using the meter - but after a great deal of discussion.........(after many false readings)....it's no longer used and we greatly cut down the time to do this.

Directv's satellite strength can also be determined by sound as well - a squeal will become louder as the strength increases. This would prob accommodate a "one man" operation. And it would be accurate whereas the purchased meter may not.

Best of luck.

P.S. Now that we had the Traveler installed at the rally, I just have to push the power button to get the "robot" going setting up the satellite. It was expensive yes but it's a "wonderful thing" and has provided a positive to our marriage. :) Joe just keeps smiling. And he no longer has to store the large dish and mast and tripod....

I sent a note to Satpro about the meters, lot of choices. 2 seem fairly complete and not overly expensive. I'll wait to see what they have to say.

The Travel'r was a fair deal at Goshen, but at the time I did not know if I would be able to have it at home, and I wasn't going to pay for cable and SAT TV.

A decent meter and something like the Align A Site are about 1/4 the price of the automatic antenna, with no setup involved.

wdk450

However, I continue to greatly suggest not bothering with a purchased meter as it will pick up wrong satellites (such as Dish) which is a waste of time.

I was looking for a new meter, found this one on E-Bay, and ordered it. It has parameters for all of the Direct and Dish satellites preprogrammed in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190817436979&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

porthole

Retired
Duane, I use the portable tripod.
I also use the $10 satellite finder.
Once I find my first bird I go inside to check the others. If adjustment is needed I take care it.
If I am getting the signal from the wrong satellite, I know from experience to move my dish about10° east.
I have been doing it this way for about five years and have no problems.

Well I'd come watch you Dave but I don't think we'll see each other for awhile............

I was looking for a new meter, found this one on E-Bay, and ordered it. It has parameters for all of the Direct and Dish satellites preprogrammed in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190817436979&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

That model and the next one up (actually two very similar in fetaures and price) have the ability to program the SAT you want to find, e.g. DirecTV 101.

$1700 - could have sworn he told me $1500 installed at the rally.

I could see an issue with a cheap meter, but some of the gizmos I looked at allow you to program whatsatellite you want to find.

Just a thought. I would bet that the client needs to be on the same wifi network as the main box to talk to it. You may need to look into that. I could be (and often am) wrong but most of the things that talk to each other within your house need to be on the same side of your router.

The Genie system only needs a main box and a small client for each TV, connected only by a single coax. The WiFi and internet stuff is for all the extras that are features of the system.

For TV viewing and DVR'ing only the coax.

Theresau

I was there at his table as soon as he announced it and that was the price he told three of us. Maybe he lowered it later? Could be that he quoted $1500 for Traveler and $200 for install? That's how they split the bill so that I only had to pay tax on the $1500.
[/QUOTE] $1700 - could have sworn he told me $1500 installed at the rally.
[/QUOTE]

porthole

Retired
You might be right, I don't really recall exactly. I do remember going on line to see what the antenna costs, and found that I could it for $1500 with free shipping and no tax. So $1700 installed was probably it.

wdk450

Yes, I know that having an automatic aiming antenna really sounds great, but I would want a carryout that could work both TV's and all 3 satellites like my regular dish does. For the roofmount advocates I can say that many times in my 4 years of RVing my dish has had to be 50 to 200 feet from my RV space to get a good satellite skyview, and I have been able to do that with RG-6 cables.

Theresau

I've heard such from others too but that has never been the case for us. We've always been able to tuck it in by one of the slides as we did for the rally in Goshen.

Problem with carryouts is that they only get one of the Directv satellites. If you want Directv HD, etc. you need to either go with a regular satellite as we carried before (Slimline) or the Traveler. No other choices - I had hoped that this would improve but the session at the rally convinced me it wasn't in the near future. It was explained that in order to use a dome type of device, it would need to be 6' in diameter - Winegard has continually tried to do this for Directv.

Yes, I know that having an automatic aiming antenna really sounds great, but I would want a carryout that could work both TV's and all 3 satellites like my regular dish does. For the roofmount advocates I can say that many times in my 4 years of RVing my dish has had to be 50 to 200 feet from my RV space to get a good satellite skyview, and I have been able to do that with RG-6 cables.

porthole

Retired
So, my first attempt - fail.

Last week I added all new coax for the main, bedroom and basement TV, using the correct DirecTV splitter, power inserter and hints from some SAT experts.

The one thing I didn't think to do before leaving the house was to plug the dish on the house roof into the trailer to make sure everything works.

Now have my Genie receiver hidden behind the TV. All the new remotes are RF capable, this is good since the receiver is pretty big. The Genie client is hidden in the bedroom cabinet also.

I had all my DVR stuff available (unlike cable boxes) and was fine with that until I tried to add the dish outside.

Now I am stuck in the search mode - and using an iPhone compass is not the best resource.

Last edited: