Ventured into the satellite world and so far a bit disappointed

porthole

Retired
Last phone app.

Free "bubble level" app. I upgraded for $1.99 to the full version to get the surface bubble level.

I calibrated it at home first.
Using the phone set on top of the tripod (no dish) I can level the tripod. If the tripod is not perfectly level and plumb the numbers on the dish mount mean nothing.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377834899.713481.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377834899.713481.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 76

porthole

Retired
Two other tools.
My Viet Nam era USGI compass and a First Strike FS-1 satellite meter.

One issue I have using any of the phone pointers or the mil compass is the steel Winegard tripod causes some havoc trying to set the azimuth.

I have the parts coming to dog camp to adapt my transit tripod to a SAT dish mount.
All aluminum and extending legs to level the tripod. No compass interference.

The First Strike meter seemed to be the best bang for the buck for the consumer.
http://firststrikemeters.com/fs1.html

I know some here think the meters are a waste.
But, if you are trying for HD, and your dish is a 100 feet from your trailer, it sure beats walking back and forth.

Duane

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377835018.305548.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377835018.305548.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 61
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377835563.639810.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377835563.639810.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 62

szewczyk_john

Talk about patience. Glad that you did get it to work. I never had this much problem but I have always used dish network. It did manual set up for 3 seasons before I found a carryout automatic for sale used. It really is as simple as plugging it in and running a "check switch" program through the receiver. I just throw the carryout on the roof of our trailer and hook up the cables. Best of luck to you and one last bit of advice, make sure your tripod is anchored well. When your dish catches the wind and gets knocked over in the middle of a Stanley Cup Final game it really drives you crazy. That was the straw that broke this camels back.

wdk450

Talk about patience. Glad that you did get it to work. I never had this much problem but I have always used dish network. It did manual set up for 3 seasons before I found a carryout automatic for sale used. It really is as simple as plugging it in and running a "check switch" program through the receiver. I just throw the carryout on the roof of our trailer and hook up the cables. Best of luck to you and one last bit of advice, make sure your tripod is anchored well. When your dish catches the wind and gets knocked over in the middle of a Stanley Cup Final game it really drives you crazy. That was the straw that broke this camels back.

Regarding the dish blowing over: I have always used a 5 gallon paint bucket filled with water (or rocks) bungeed under the center of the tripod to keep it in place. I found out in high winds in Gillette last year and Elkhart this year that the pail is sometimes not enough. I got 3 of the 1 foot nail-type tent stakes and use them in high wind conditions now. My tripod is a TV roof mount type from Radio Shack and has feet with screw holes in them. I use wood door shim wedges from Home depot under the tripod feet for levelling the tripod.
I have recently found that the tent stakes also help when having to use those long cable runs to the dish, for holding the cable close to the ground and preventing tripping accidents. The stakes have a green plastic clip on top that is just right for holding a cable to the ground.

porthole

Retired
John
I tried Dish, had some problems and their customer service sucks - plain and simple.

DIrecTV you are limited in your "automatic" options if you want HD.

Antenna is tied down. Bit of a challenge here. It is setup on a hill side and the ground is either stone or tree roots.

Used several 12" nails and a biner, couple of straps and it should be ok.

Duane

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377875677.877317.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377875677.877317.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 80
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377875705.207855.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377875705.207855.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 75

porthole

Retired
Got my parts yesterday here at dog camp to make my transit tripod a SAT dish tripod.
Of course I have a tripod that "may require sanding the center hole a bit larger".

The new gig will have to wait until next week..............

evolvingpowercat

I have Dish Network 1000.2 dish and Solo node outside at my home with a Hopper in the house.

For camping stays long enough its worth the time to set it all up, I bought the same: a used Dish 1000.2 and Solo Node on Ebay along with a tripod and a 100' cable, and use the same home Hopper in my trailer when not at home. I mounted a Sat Signal pass thru on the side of my trailer to get the signal into my Edge. Don't try to use the cable TV jack, it just won't work. Investment: about $ 90.

IMG_0372.jpg

Process:

Find a spot with view of 110, 119, and 129 Dish sats within reach of the 100 foot cable I use between the side of my trailer and the tripod and dish.

I level the tripod and mast and secure it to the ground with tent pegs setting the skew and elevation based on zip code of where I am at. I then set to the aproximate azimuth. I then connect to the hopper with peaking meter in the 119 cable between the Solo and the Dish, turn on the Hopper and set to "point dish and set to Sat 119 Transponder 19 (CNN SD chan. 200) and adjust azimuth to peakusing a cheap sat peaking meter and then the Hopper align dish feature, playing the sound out the speakers on the side of my trailer and do the final peak by sound.

If you got skew and elevation right and the mast is level then you will also pick up the 110 and 129 sat beams and all is good, it will be just like having your home service except that a few features that need a Internet Connection won't work.

The keys are:

= having a clear line of sight to the sky where 110, 119, and 129 sats are at. Peak on a 119 upper transponder first, just like the 1000.2 installation manual says to.

= getting the mast level and the skew and elevation set for your location so that when you find and peak 119 you will also get the 110 and 129 satellites

= the sweet spot on the very directional 1000.2 dish is very small so be patient when moving the dish to find the signal.

= use good quad shield RG-6 cables between the satellite dish and the solo node, and between the solo note and the Satellite Receiver. Use good compression connectors if you make up your own short cables between the 1000.2 LNB and the solo node, and be sure to label which one is 119 so you put your peaking meter in between the 119 output on the LNB and the Solo node when setting up. I have my Solo Node right on the tripod at the Dish so I can run only one wire from there to the trailer. The more expensive 100 foot ones Wal-Mart sells are OK and still much cheaper than Radio Shack or a Home Center, but the cheaper ones Wal-mart sells are junk and don't bother buying them to use for carrying Sat signal. Make sure that you find some that have the center wire coming out past the connector end by at least the width of a nickel, most of the ones at my local Wal-mart the center wire did not come out that far and I found out the hard way they don't work just like the Dish 1000.2 manual says they won't if the center wire is not long enough.

= You can download the 1000.2 manual on the internet and it gives you all the settings for each zip code, or you can get it from an app on your Smart Phone. It also has some instructions that can help you understand how to set the skew and elevation correctly, and tells you which one is the 119 connector on the back of the LNB.

= If you are camping within hour or two of your home, chances are you will get the same local channels at the campground you get at your house, chances are the local channel "spot beam" will be strong enough there. If you don't get the locals because you are too far from home, everything else but the locals will still work. If you want locals when far away from home, then moving your receiver back and forth between camper and home won't work for you.

= Dish has a different "eastern arc" satellites for some of the eastern USA, I know this solution with the 1000.2 at home and when camping works for central and west USA but not sure how far East it would work.

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

I have had dish network for 8 years now and never had any problems with the system or customer service. I have only been using it in the RV for the last 4 seasons. My only complaint is that the carryout is not compatible with the new hopper system. I will say that we do not use our trailer often enough to warrant leaving the system set up permanently. We just take a receiver out of our bedroom and connect it when we get to our destination.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We returned to the rig after being gone for almost a month. Set out the auto antenna but could not get the program guide to load. Call to DISH, they did their remote magic, and we got to watch the Tigers lose to Cleveland.

I've found that after extended periods of not being used, it sometimes requires them sending an activation signal.

porthole

Retired
Used my transit tripod today with the SAT dish mount I got from TV4RV.com.
Also had already modified the lock screw with an eyebolt for tie down purposes.

So much easier setting the transit tripod in the correct direction, leveling it (with the iPhone center level) and aiming the dish.

Took me longer to string 3 pieces of COAX together then the actual aiming.

I don't care what anyone says - using a meter is a huge time saver.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Something i noticed and am not sure how it works yet. When going through the channels I only had about half of my local channels, in particular, 2, 5 7, no 4 or 11

Don't know if I just waited long enough or it was going into the SAT setup and under dish aiming changing the zip code.
Under the general info screen whatever zip you have entered shows up.

yza4eqa8.jpg

danemayer

Duane,

Zip code setting doesn't affect programming on my Directv receivers. It only matters if you want to find out dish aiming info or get local weather.

Try keying in the channel # directly on the remote's numeric keypad. If that works, the guide needs to be updated through the FAVORITES menu.

Also, there sometimes are problems with the activation of local channels at the Directv end. You might have to give them a call.

porthole

Retired
In case you haven't seen the transit tripod type mount, here it is.

You can buy complete kits or just the dish mount if you already have the correct tripod. This works out well because:
a) it is easy to set the aluminum tripod azimuth with a compass
b) once oriented, it is very easy to level
c) very sturdy
d) once the dish mount is set it is very easy to adjust the azimuth.

The mast adapter can be ordered with a compass that is fitted to just fit in the 2.5" hole at the top of the tripod. A scale is also supplied that is attached to the top of the tripod. The scale is used with the compass to do the initial azimuth set.
The mast post then uses the scale for initial dish pointing and then minor adjustments,

I drilled and tapped the lockdown knob on the bottom and installed a threaded insert.
I then installed a 3" long 5/16" eyebolt for tie down purposes.

Duane

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378440688.216310.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378440688.216310.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 106
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378440705.875544.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378440705.875544.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 109
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378440719.958912.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378440719.958912.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 109

Vtxkid

Glad to see you have gotten more comfortable with your antenna setup Duane. I have the same tripod but mine already had the eyebolt installed on the underside knob which is best to ensure no tip over. I also received a large bungee to use between the tripod and ground screw but found that doesn't last long, exposed to the elements along with being stretched out as it needs to be to ensure no tip over...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

porthole

Retired
Since the garage is already well equipped - I just used one of the many tie down straps and one of the pup's screw anchors at this location.
Last spot was 3 large landscape nails and a ring, nails driven in at a angle 120 degrees apart.

porthole

Retired
Hidden receivers in the Cyclone. They use RF remotes and do not need "line of sight"

As part of my drama with SAT TV I ran all new cables. New to the LR and an"initial" to the bedroom. Seems the bedroom never got wired for SAT, just an empty connector in the ceiling.

Added an outlet in the basement for the Power Inserter.

View attachment 26745

The power inserter and the splitter are mounted behind the basement wall.

View attachment 26744

The DirecTV HR "Genie system sits behind the TV on a 2" angle bracket, held in by a strap. As the remotes are radio frequency the receiver can be hidden. Nothing to see anyway on the front face.

View attachment 26746

A Genie "client" sits in the bedroom closet that holds the TV. You can just see in in the lower right corner.

View attachment 26747

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=329207&viewfull=1#post329207

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Some things I learned this past week, trouble shooting with limited internet.

i had a solid signal on my First Strike meter, even getting a "Locked" message. But, I had no picture. The guide would download but never transition to a picture.

A SAT signal check showed I had a good signal on only 3 transponders, 28, 30 & 32 and zero on the rest.

This is an indication that you are locked onto the 110 degree satellite, which will get you no picture.
I was trying to align the dish after some heavy rain, so cloud cover was thick. I do not understand why, with the meter set to 101 W, that it would lock onto a 110 sat.

Swinging the dish east about 10 degrees allowed me to lock on eventually.

Last edited: