Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ventured into the satellite world and so far a bit disappointed

1. Print this Post   #61

Re: Ventured into the satellite world and so far a bit disappointed

Are you viewing Settings/Satellite/View Signal Strength to see your signal stength?

It may go to search right off - you can force it to settings by pushing menu and then selecting Settings from there.

If you've gone too far, you will have to reset using the red button and then push menu.

You can then turn the satellite minutely and the signal strength will change. It's touchy...but this will at least give you an idea of your strength...

Quote Originally Posted by porthole View Post
    So, my first attempt - fail.

Last week I added all new coax for the main, bedroom and basement TV, using the correct DirecTV splitter, power inserter and hints from some SAT experts.

The one thing I didn't think to do before leaving the house was to plug the dish on the house roof into the trailer to make sure everything works.

Now have my Genie receiver hidden behind the TV. All the new remotes are RF capable, this is good since the receive is pretty big. The Genie client is hidden in the bedroom cabinet also.

I had all my DVR stuff available (unlike cable boxes) and was fine with that until I tried to add the dish outside.

Now I am stuck in the search mode - and using an iPhone compass is not the best resource.

2. Print this Post   #62

The one thing I didn't think to do before leaving the house was to plug the dish on the house roof into the trailer to make sure everything works.
    Duane, unfortunately it's hard to tell whether the problem is in the aiming, or in the wiring. So yes, running a known good signal to test the wiring would take away the possibility of a wiring issue. But since you didn't do that, the next best choice is to run a wire directly from the dish to the receiver, with just the power inserter and splitter in between. That would let you get the aiming settled without any wiring complications. Then you can go back and see if it still works with your final wiring setup.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #63

So, my first attempt - fail.

Last week I added all new coax for the main, bedroom and basement TV, using the correct DirecTV splitter, power inserter and hints from some SAT experts.

Now have my Genie receiver hidden behind the TV. All the new remotes are RF capable, this is good since the receive is pretty big. The Genie client is hidden in the bedroom cabinet also.

I had all my DVR stuff available (unlike cable boxes) and was fine with that until I tried to add the dish outside.

Now I am stuck in the search mode - and using an iPhone compass is not the best resource.
    Duane, a couple of things to look for... 1) If you are using the SWM link between your dish and your HR-34 receiver, you have to use the satellite setting specs for SWM for locating your 101 satellite which are different then for a regular dish. 2) Double check that the SWM RG-6 wire coming into the RV is going into the power inverter through the "in" (ID'ed as red inside threads) and "out" (also red inside male threads) to the receiver. 3) You have to go into your receiver and reconfigure your settings on what type of dish you are using and how many inputs you will be using then you need to reboot the reciever afterwards. All three of these will stop you from getting a good enough signal to be able to lock on properly.
    Jerry & Pamela Tims
    Heartland Owners Club #1667
    2011 Duramax Diesel 3500HD Dually Custom w/ 94 gal Transfer Flow aux tank
    2011 Cyclone 3010HD
    2005 Honda GL1800

4. Print this Post   #64

Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    Duane, unfortunately it's hard to tell whether the problem is in the aiming, or in the wiring. So yes, running a known good signal to test the wiring would take away the possibility of a wiring issue. But since you didn't do that, the next best choice is to run a wire directly from the dish to the receiver, with just the power inserter and splitter in between. That would let you get the aiming settled without any wiring complications. Then you can go back and see if it still works with your final wiring setup.
    Dan, I put the splitter behind the basement wall. Although I could probably get to it through my access port - it just isn't important enough with the weather that it can't wait until we are home. Unlike most campgrounds, cable is pretty good here, 50+ channels (NY Rally, Verona)

COAX is an unknown. Although the factory wiring is a brand name I am not sure as to it's makeup. SWM systems need a 100% copper center conductor to work. I didn't change "all" the cable.
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

5. Print this Post   #65

Jerry - my wiring is:

COAX in from antenna to the UDC port.
    Then to the red "in" port of the splitter.
    Red out port goes to the power inserter.
    Power inserter "IRD" port is capped with a 75 ohm terminator.

3 remaining ports of the 4 way go to the 3 TV locations.
    Main TV has the Genie receiver, bedroom has a Genie client.

This was the recommended wiring by several SAT experts
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

6. Print this Post   #66

Jerry - my wiring is:

COAX in from antenna to the UDC port.
    Then to the red "in" port of the splitter.
    Red out port goes to the power inserter.
    Power inserter "IRD" port is capped with a 75 ohm terminator.

3 remaining ports of the 4 way go to the 3 TV locations.
    Main TV has the Genie receiver, bedroom has a Genie client.

This was the recommended wiring by several SAT experts
    Sounds like the wiring is okay. I didn't change out all my existing RG 6 wiring either and had no issues. One of my coworkers has the HR-34 and continued to have problems after they installed it with receiving channels and DTV found the receiver hadn't been properly updated with software that was required once set up and ready for first time use.
    Are you using the 3 lnb oval SWM dish. What meter are you using to lock on to you signal?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
    Jerry & Pamela Tims
    Heartland Owners Club #1667
    2011 Duramax Diesel 3500HD Dually Custom w/ 94 gal Transfer Flow aux tank
    2011 Cyclone 3010HD
    2005 Honda GL1800

7. Print this Post   #67

Quote Originally Posted by Vtxkid View Post
    Sounds like the wiring is okay. I didn't change out all my existing RG 6 wiring either and had no issues. One of my coworkers has the HR-34 and continued to have problems after they installed it with receiving channels and DTV found the receiver hadn't been properly updated with software that was required once set up and ready for first time use.
    Are you using the 3 lnb oval SWM dish. What meter are you using to lock on to you signal?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Jerry, The receiver was set up and working for a week in the house. Using the same type of antenna that is mounted on the house, the HD SWM slim oval. The installer put together a seperate antenna for me along with a power inserter and splitter.

Meter? What meter?

What would help is if all the diagnostic screens actually did a self test out to the LNB and back.
    Last edited by porthole; 07-20-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods

8. Print this Post   #68
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

SWM systems need a 100% copper center conductor to work...
    Duane - I've haven't heard of this requirement. A 100% copper center conductor would be an expensive wire that is more commonly used in baseband video applications. A copper "clad" steel center conductor is the norm in 75 ohm drop wire for RF at TV frequencies ride on the outside of the conductor (skin effect) and not across the entire cross-section. Coax used for satellite TV should be spec'd to a bandpass of 2200 MHz (2.2 GHz).

If some entity is recommending solid copper, maybe they are just stating what would be "ideal", though not practical.
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

9. Print this Post   #69

ter.

Meter? What meter?
    What are you using to find the satellite?
    I just upgraded to the SWM and the installer told me that the sat finders will not work with the SWM. You must use a non SWM LNB with your sat finder to lock onto sat 101.
    I haven't tried it yet, but that is on the list for this afternoon.
    I've not had a problem finding a bird with my old 5 LNB, so that is what I will continue to use to lock on and then swap back SWM for fine tuning.
    I think that Danemayer does it that way.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

10. Print this Post   #70

I just feel a need to say this again - a meter is not needed. (Won't say it again after this :-)) You just need to get coordinates from Directv's satellite settings per the zip code - set those up - and then go to the Directv satellite settings again to monitor satellite strength. Once we set up the dish per the coordinates, it has never taken more than a couple of minutes for us to get 80's and 90's and up on satellite 101 - I then do a quick check on the other satellites and then press continue, etc. and we're a go...................................

We have had success doing this for a couple of years now - the only time we had an issue was the first time we used our Slimline SWM dish that had been installed by Directv - we used a meter.... We kept finding other satellites instead of Directv - very frustrating. (This happened at the 2011 Goshen rally....)

We have found this dish to be very forgiving - easily gets a connection - we've had solid trees to our south and gotten a great connection and at the recent rally there were coaches very close and south of us - we actually got some 100's that time on 101 and great connection on the others.

Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    What are you using to find the satellite?
    I just upgraded to the SWM and the installer told me that the sat finders will not work with the SWM. You must use a non SWM LNB with your sat finder to lock onto sat 101.
    I haven't tried it yet, but that is on the list for this afternoon.
    I've not had a problem finding a bird with my old 5 LNB, so that is what I will continue to use to lock on and then swap back SWM for fine tuning.
    I think that Danemayer does it that way.

Peace
    Dave

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast