Mail Forwarding During RV Trips

wdk450

Gang:
A few words of warning. I usually do an online request at USPS.com to have my mail forwarded (usually to a local Post Office General Delivery window) when I am going on an RV trip with extended stays, like I am now in Elkhart/Goshen. This time I got no forwarded mail, with my forwarding order started on May 29th. I had an e-mail confirmation of the forwarding order. I finally called my local post office back home with the confirmation number on the e-mail, and learned USPS had no record of it. The gracious mail carriers there stopped delivering my home mail when the box got full and they could tell that I wan't there. They are now forwarding my mail as a result of the phone conversation.

Today I called the National USPS contact number to see what happened. Looking at the confirmation e-mail sender's address I learned that my online request somehow got hijacked, and I had been on a site called "www.change-my-address.com" instead of the USPS website. I tried to call customer service at "www.change-my-address.com" but the phone wait was going to be 23 minutes.

This is especially vexing as I had my trailer set of keys "picked up" at an RV park in mid-Nevada, and turned in to their office that evening after I was 400 miles further East. The campground said they would mail them to me, but wanted a real address instead of "General Delivery", so I gave them my home address thinking my mail was being forwarded. Luckily, I will be in the Elkhart/Goshen area another 2 weeks, so my mail should catch up with me by then, before I start driving home.

The moral is: "Make sure your mail dealings are with USPS.com and no one else".