Need advice on Toy Haulers

Pvtskippy

Greetings,

Newbie here... My wife and I are looking for our first RV and are specifically looking for a toy hauler. It's just the two of us with possible occasional guests. What drew me here was the CY 4018 as we normally bring both our quads as well as our side by side with us when we go riding so that we can choose one or the other depending on what sort of riding we have in mind. Needless to say, that requires a good sized garage area.

The problem I see is that with two quads at about 800# each and a side by side at 1500#, we've already exceeded the cargo carrying capacity of the 4018. Are there ways to upgrade the capacity of the 4018? I've seen mention of beefier axles, but is that something that can be done at the factory?

I've looked into the Work and Plays, but they seem to sacrifice creature comforts for cargo capacity. The other alternative I'm considering is the Torque 290 and loading the side by side in there and carrying the two quads on top of the bed of my truck. The ugly alternative is leaving either the quads or the side by side at home.

I know what I'm asking for...a 4018 with a king-sized bed and the cargo capacity of a Work and Play. I know I'm not asking for much :)

For what it's worth, I'll be pulling whatever we decide upon with a '12 F450. Figured I couldn't go wrong by getting as much towing capacity as I could even if I ended up pulling a pop-up.

Thanks in advance - seems like a great group of folks here and I've already learned bunches by cruising around.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Welcome to the forum!
Keep in mind that the weight in the garage also affects the balance (pin weight) which can adversely affect towing. Heavier axles alone may not allow the additional weight. The garage payload limit, I would expect, takes into account floor loading, frame stress, balance and perhaps other technical factors.
We carry a variety of heavy items in our Cyclone. Every trip is different in terms of how the rig pulls and rides.

scottyb

That would be a factory engineering call. I assume they would not give you a green light to exceed the specified limit, but you never know. I carry a 1750 lb Kawasaki Mule and a full size Weber gas grill. I am planning to buy a Honda CRF 250 and that will put me near 2500 lb. My rig actually tows best with the fresh water tank filled. The upside of the 4018 is that more of the weight can be distributed closer to or over the axles. I know my 12' garage begins just behind the rear axle.

Mauna

When we were looking at toy haulers, one of the stipulations was that it needed to carry both our motorcycles. We looked at the weight capacity of the "garage" and went from there.

TravisJen

Be sure to triple check your measurements on the garage. We bought a Torque 321 thinking we could fit our quads beside each other but due to the rails on the walls for the beds, they didn't fit. We have to load them in a "T" formation which isn't that big of a deal but if you can't fit your quads beside each other in the 4018, the side-by-side won't fit.

remoandiris

Yes, you can order the 4018 with 7,000 lb axles. But as been mentioned, that doesn't necessarily give you more carrying capacity in the garage/unit. BTW, you have to ask for the axles. They are NOT listed on the build sheet.