Transmission error code

CAN-DO

I own a 2000 Ford F-350, 7.3l w/4r100 transmission (281,000miles) The tranny has been professionally rebuilt by John Wood Automotive and only has 50,000 on the tranny. I am receiving an error code of P1747 on the diagnostics machine. Does anyone have an idea of what the typical quick fix is to clear this code or am I looking at a new solenoid pack? Is it more of an issue with shorted/grounded wiring, blown fuse or other?

The transmission appears to operate properly, but I don't want to drive the truck until I can get this problem corrected. I typically have been able to make all truck repairs myself, but not familiar with automatic transmissions as I should be after 50 years.

Thanks for your input,

CAN-DO

Garypowell

Put that error code in a google search with a couple of other words like "ford transmission error code P1747". You will be amazed at what will come back as hits. Then run down each thread and see what you can learn. But, just like here, you have to weed out the good from the bad.

Another route would be to go to any national brand parts store. I know they have the device that will read out the error code. With this they should be able to interpret it and that same device should be able to clear it.

MCTalley

Join the site ford-trucks.com. Jump into the "1999-2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel" subforum and post your question there. The folks there are the most knowledgeable and friendly I've found in troubleshooting issues with my truck. One member, in particular, is Mark Kovalsky. He is a former Ford automatic transmission engineer and is a wealth of knowledge.

Aside from that, it sounds like an electrical issue. It could be as simple as a corroded connector to the solenoid pack. You can generally pull the connector yourself. It resides on the passenger side of the tail of the transmission and pulls up to disconnect. It's a bit tight getting your hands in there, let alone checking the tranny side of the connector for water or corrosion (a mirror?). Fortunately, if it is a bad solenoid, it is relatively easy to replace (drop pan, a couple of bolts and the solenoid drops out).

Have you called John Wood yet? May be a warranty thing. Not sure how long JW warrants his work. I've got a Brian's Truck Shop (BTS) rebuild on mine and he informally warrants his builds for life, though the website lists a 2 year warranty.