Main slide awning catching water

Curt_Hinson

Twice I noticed that my main living room slide (the big one) on my 2014 sequoia has retained a load of water after a rain. When I retract the slide, gallons of water pour off by the entrance door. I think the slide awning should have more tension on it. The gentleman that runs the Heritage RV Park thinks that the awning is thin, meaning that he thinks it should be more heavy duty. I don't know anything about that, but I noticed that it does seem to sag when the room is extended. I have never increased an awning tension, and I am wondering if that is something a mechanical mined man can do by himself or does it require a second person?

Curt

jbeletti

Curt,

If the slide topper awning sags when fully extended with no water on it, sounds like a tension adjustment is in order. Can be tricky and dangerous to do. I'd add it to my warranty list.

Are you certain your slide is 100% extended?

This all said, even with properly tensioned slide topper awnings, water will pool on them and a bunch will dump off when you retract the slide.

danemayer

What Jim described is also how our 2011 works. The awnings are normally tight but give a bit under the weight of the water and it pours off when the slides are pulled in.

Curt_Hinson

Curt,

If the slide topper awning sags when fully extended with no water on it, sounds like a tension adjustment is in order. Can be tricky and dangerous to do. I'd add it to my warranty list. Will do.

Are you certain your slide is 100% extended? Yes

This all said, even with properly tensioned slide topper awnings, water will pool on them and a bunch will dump off when you retract the slide. I understand that water can pool up on awnings. The problem is that it appears to be more loose than the other two and I have not noticed water pooling up on them.
I have added it to my wants, todo and warranty lists.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Curt

Curt_Hinson

What Jim described is also how our 2011 works. The awnings are normally tight but give a bit under the weight of the water and it pours off when the slides are pulled in.
Thanks for the reply Dan. I do understand that water can pool up on awnings, tarp covers on trucks, etc. I had four slides on my last camper and to my knowedge, none of them ever collected water in the nine years I owned it. I guess I was lucky with that one.

Curt

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My main slide topper also will collect water, where as the other three smaller ones do not. My fix, gleaned from other members, is a support made from PVC pipe that I slide under it. No more pooling.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
The longer slide or wider slides will normally collect water due to there length. The shorter slides, like a coach with 4, probably wont since they are short thus retaining more tension in roller tube. I have installed on my long slides a Dometic Slide Roller Tube Support Cradle. They work great. No tube sag and very little or no water build up. Here is a link to item, comes in white, black gray.http://www.rveparts.com/dometic-slide-topper-cradle-support-3309526-006/

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When mine pool up with water, I just raise the front of the coach as high as it will go. All the water pours off the awnings.
With hydraulic landing gear it is quick and easy to do.
But before doing that be sure to check for anything that might be in the way while you raise it.

Peace
Dave

Curt_Hinson

The longer slide or wider slides will normally collect water due to there length. The shorter slides, like a coach with 4, probably wont since they are short thus retaining more tension in roller tube. I have installed on my long slides a Dometic Slide Roller Tube Support Cradle. They work great. No tube sag and very little or no water build up. Here is a link to item, comes in white, black gray.http://www.rveparts.com/dometic-slide-topper-cradle-support-3309526-006/
Hey Murry, thanks for the link. I will look at the item more closely. I'm on the road right now, but when I get back home, I will be checking the tension then a fix if needed.

Thanks again, Curt.