Power source and/or fuse for Stereo and 12v "cigarette power"

BruteForce

2010 RoadWarrior 395. Playing the stereo a few days ago and we lost all power to the stereo and the 12v accessory power plug (aka Cigarette lighter plug). All fuses in the fuse panel are fine. I pulled the stereo out, but all power seems to just run downhill with no noticeable fuses inline. Took the fuse out of the Jensen stereo and its not blown.

This has to be a blown fuse, but I'm puzzled as to where it is.

Any insight appreciated.

mbopp

Lost power to the receptacle, or the plug? I've seen plugs with fuses in them, you unscrew the end to access it.

BruteForce

Lost power to the receptacle, or the plug? I've seen plugs with fuses in them, you unscrew the end to access it.

I lost all power to the area around the Jensen stereo, to include the stereo and the 12v power outlet thing (aka Cigarette lighter plug). Upon removing that panel, both have a power wire that just routes down through the wall to an undetermined location. None of the fuses in the main fuse panel are blown, however - so I can't explain why I lost both devices..

danemayer

If there's a slideout involved, there may be a junction box underneath with a bad connection.

Also, how are you checking the fuses? Ohm meter? Visual isn't always reliable and I think the red lights in the fuse box only come on if the fuse is blown AND there's a load on the circuit.

BruteForce

If there's a slideout involved, there may be a junction box underneath with a bad connection.

Also, how are you checking the fuses? Ohm meter? Visual isn't always reliable and I think the red lights in the fuse box only come on if the fuse is blown AND there's a load on the circuit.

No slideout. The stereo sits between my kitchen wall and main bathroom.

BruteForce

Solved.. After phoning Heartland support and getting no help there (escalated to Engineering and no return email/call), I decided to follow the wiring using an ohm meter. Turns out there was a blown fuse in the panel, but as indicated above, it didn't engage the red light. Replaced the fuse and all is well.

jbeletti

Solved.. After phoning Heartland support and getting no help there (escalated to Engineering and no return email/call), I decided to follow the wiring using an ohm meter. Turns out there was a blown fuse in the panel, but as indicated above, it didn't engage the red light. Replaced the fuse and all is well.

My understanding is that the red "blown fuse" LED only lights when the load is present. My storage basement lights were inop yesterday. I left the switch in the ON position and checked the fuse panel. Sure enough, a red LED was lit for the blown fuse.

brianharrison

My understanding is that the red "blown fuse" LED only lights when the load is present. My storage basement lights were inop yesterday. I left the switch in the ON position and checked the fuse panel. Sure enough, a red LED was lit for the blown fuse.

Thanks for this clarification - I was wondering why the LED illuminated some of the times and not others, when the fuse was blown. I will have to field test this one.....

Brian

jimtoo

Also just a note here. If the red LED is on and you check voltage across the fuse, like you would to see if it is burned out with a digital VOM, you will see voltage on both sides of the fuse, but the fuse is still bad. The LED is back feeding the fuse. There will be aprox 1.3 volt difference between the fuse terminals.

Jim M