2011 Chevy Duramax fuel filter problems

bdreed7

Hello -

I have a 2011 Chevy 2500 HD with a Duramax. I've had some issues with the DEF system in the past which the dealership seems to have fixed. Now I'm having problems with the fuel filter. I get the "replace fuel filter" message and have replaced the fuel filter numerous times. GM filter each time. It lasts about 300 miles and the message appears again. The engine spits and sputters until I change the filter again. I have had the dealership drain the tank thinking that I got some poor fuel, but that has not helped the problem.

Suggestions???

jimtoo

Hi bdreed7,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It sounds to me like a programming problem if you have done the rest. I would think it should still be in warranty, unless you have lots of miles on it. Take it to a different dealer.

Jim M

WTHunter

When it spits and sputters, try bleeding the filter. If it takes a few pumps. It's losing its prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickhansen

There was a Tech Service Bulletin on the 2011 Duramax for a faulty fuel suction pressure sensor. I don't have the bulletin number, but believe it was released about December of 2011. The function of the sensor is to trip the "change filter message" when the filter began to get restrictive to flow, but it does also affect engine controls and performance. The problem I had with mine was that it leaked air into the line and allowed the fuel to drain back to the tank, cause very hard starting. It also allowed air to be pulled in when the engine was running causing the poor performance. As you know, there is a water in fuel sensor (float) in the bottom of the filter, but I think that gives a "water in fuel" message.

GOTTOYS

Should be covered by your factory warranty. Find a good dealership and turn the problem over to them...Don