Which state has the worst drivers?

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Where does your state fall? I thought FL would be higher than number 6. Safe travels to all.
States with the worst drivers: The CarInsuranceComparison.com report ...

1. Louisiana
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Florida
7. Missouri (tie)
7. North Carolina (tie)
9. Montana
10. North Dakota

Another report, insurer Allstate's ninth annual "America's Best Drivers Report" in August, found that the USA's best drivers, based on Allstate crash claims data, are in Fort Collins, Colo

Greengas

This answer is simple. The state with the worst drivers is whatever state you happen to be driving in at the moment. :)

GOTTOYS

Obliviously, they never spent any time driving in Minnesota. Even Tom Weber, could pass for a good driver here! The left lane on the freeway, even outstate is for driving, the right lane is for passing. Just look in your mirror. That car that's been sitting in the left lane coming up behind you will have Minnesota plates. Stop signs mean slow down and turn. It's okay to text and drive just don't hold it up high enough for the cops to see. Most important, if you aren't drinking a beer while driving, you could get a ticket.....Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Where does your state fall? I thought FL would be higher than number 6. Safe travels to all.
States with the worst drivers: The CarInsuranceComparison.com report ...

1. Louisiana
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Florida
7. Missouri (tie)
7. North Carolina (tie)
9. Montana
10. North Dakota

Another report, insurer Allstate's ninth annual "America's Best Drivers Report" in August, found that the USA's best drivers, based on Allstate crash claims data, are in Fort Collins, Colo

I drive in Ft. Collins several times per year . . . and I don't think I can agree with their findings . . . :confused:

:angel:

And, did you know that here in Colorado turn signals are optional accessories? :rolleyes:

This must be the case since half the cars in Colorado don't seem to have them . . . :p

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I want to know what happened to Driver Training?
When did it become proper to NOT pull out into the intersection when making a left turn?
When did it become ok to block an intersection while waiting for stopped traffic?
Don't even get me started about turn signals!!

danemayer

I want to know what happened to Driver Training?
When did it become proper to NOT pull out into the intersection when making a left turn?
When did it become ok to block an intersection while waiting for stopped traffic?
Don't even get me started about turn signals!!
Sounds like you've got a bunch of young whippersnappers in your area.

dave10a

I have seen bad and good drivers in every state. Statistic don't mean much to me because it only take one idiot to cause real problems. Driving defensively is the real solution. Always anticipate-- and remember speed really does kill.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Its hard to believe that California is not on the list. I can't figure why N.D. is on the list....their ain't nobody their. You can drive on 12/212 and not see another car for hours. Same way on 90 in Montana.

dave10a

When I lived in California in the 60-70's the drivers were very good. I think in part because during the Reagan governorship they use to broadcast pulbic messages on driver safety like how to enter and exit a freeway, don't tailgate or pace other automobiles, and overall good driving skill. Also the highway patrol would set the driving speed if it got to fast by putting pace vehicle ahead of the traffic. I don't think they do that kind of public messages anymore- at least I have seen that since. Now days California seems to be in the over-regulation mode rather than the public safety training. At least the OTR drivers I head on XM think so.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
New Jersey didn't qualify because their statistics were blurred! Respondents drew only pictures of hands with one digit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sbuckman

Its hard to believe that California is not on the list. I can't figure why N.D. is on the list....their ain't nobody their. You can drive on 12/212 and not see another car for hours. Same way on 90 in Montana.

North Dakota is only on the list because with the recent Bakkan Oil Boom all the folks from

1. Louisiana
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Florida
7. Missouri (tie)
7. North Carolina (tie)
9. Montana

have all moved in here to get jobs... would love to send them back home and have our roads back to normal. (and everything else as well!) Traffic deaths have increased in the last 3 years that the invasion began (see chart). That says nothing about the crime rates; we never had muggings, murders were maybe one every 8 years or so and usually when some wife/husband caught the spouse messing around. I would love to be able to crawl back under my rock and not have to deal with the mess that has fallen upon us.

Year2007200820092010 2011
Fatal Crashes959711692 130
Fatalities111104140105148170142
Alcohol-Related Crashes 54 (57%)48 (50%)47 (41%)48 (52%)56 (43%)77 (52%)54 (42%)
Alcohol-Related Fatalities 64 (58%)53 (51%)56 (40%)55 (52%)66 (45%)87 (51%)58 (41%)
Restrained Victims25 (26%)17 (21%)40 (32%)23 (29%)30 (25%)41 (29%)29 (23%)
Unrestrained Victims65 (69%)59 (73%)83 (66%)48 (60%)82 (69%)92 (65%)76 (60%)
Motorcycle Fatalities81371514166
Bicycle Fatalities0111101
Pedestrian Fatalities574 8
Train Fatalities1131031

[h=2]North Dakota Fatal Traffic Crash Statistics[/h] Updated 12/10/2013

DesertThumper

When I lived in California in the 60-70's the drivers were very good. I think in part because during the Reagan governorship they use to broadcast pulbic messages on driver safety like how to enter and exit a freeway, don't tailgate or pace other automobiles, and overall good driving skill. Also the highway patrol would set the driving speed if it got to fast by putting pace vehicle ahead of the traffic. I don't think they do that kind of public messages anymore- at least I have seen that since. Now days California seems to be in the over-regulation mode rather than the public safety training. At least the OTR drivers I head on XM think so.

I agree with you up to the 80's though. Since the population has grown quite a bit and many infrastructure development of buildings has gone up in CA, there are more unusual drivers with strange driving habits that can be identified by someone that has lived here since the good days of driving habits back in the days. They stick out and you can tell that they recently transplanted from somewhere else. The CHP still controls the pacing of traffic when needed along the 405 freeway (LA County). Since I drive this path on a daily basis to work since the mid 80's, I see many changes in certain parts of the freeway systems. What I have noticed though is on the freeways in the LA areas, the traffic behaviors of drivers flow consistently for the most part with minimal to none of any vehicles pulled over for road side issues. But when you cross over to the Orange County areas there are more road incidents occurring more often due to in and out weaving of drivers and causing rear end accidents (Tailgaters). The dynamics change drastically where you can see the good and bad drivers on the road when you drive the freeway system here in CA. I can say that there are more bad drivers in certain parts of Southern California then others and some have maintain the same good driving habits. Be careful and keep your distance when you drive in CA.

JanAndBill

New Jersey didn't qualify because their statistics were blurred! Respondents drew only pictures of hands with one digit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unfortunately these one digit salute drivers have migrated to just about every state. Although Alabama is number 5 on the list, after living here 33 years I can attest that if you put a 1/2" of snow on the ground they will quickly jump to number 1.

jimtoo

Seeing the post about wrecks ,,,, Here 10 miles from my house is a 22 mile stretch of highway,, State 72,, from Three Rivers, TX to Tilden, TX. It has become the deadliest road to travel in Texas. For aprox 10 years,,2 fatalities. Then the oil boom started. 2010 ,, 5 dead,,, 2011,, 7 dead... 2012,,,10 deaths,,, 2013... 11 months... 17 deaths. All related to oil field trucks.. almost all caused by driver error.. going to sleep. These guys are working 18-18 hour days.. regs say they can only drive so many hours... but some are keeping 2 log books....or working for 2 different companies.

So if you come this area,, AVOID AT ALL COST highway 72 from Kennedy,, Karnes City area to Three Rivers.. it is crowded with trucks 44 miles and you can count on over a 1 hour trip... and don't go on hwy 72 from Three Rivers to Tilden, TX.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Some observations from Texas drivers.
1. Speed limits are suggestive not mandatory.
2. That long ramp when entering the freeway is a place to stop before entering
3. The left lane on a freeway is where you drive 55 mph in the 75 mph zone.
4. Never turn on your headlights until it is completely dark
5. Only drive with your bright lights on
6. Your car or truck will only work at night if it has 26 headlight illuminated at the same time
7. You must have tint so dark on the back and side windows no one can see in (you cannot see out either)
8. Your pickup truck must be jacked up high enough to be able to drive over the small cars without touching them
9. Driver's licenses are optional as is insurance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some observations from Texas drivers.
1. Speed limits are suggestive not mandatory.
2. That long ramp when entering the freeway is a place to stop before entering
3. The left lane on a freeway is where you drive 55 mph in the 75 mph zone.
4. Never turn on your headlights until it is completely dark
5. Only drive with your bright lights on
6. Your car or truck will only work at night if it has 26 headlight illuminated at the same time
7. You must have tint so dark on the back and side windows no one can see in (you cannot see out either)
8. Your pickup truck must be jacked up high enough to be able to drive over the small cars without touching them
9. Driver's licenses are optional as is insurance.
Jim, I think those are federal regulations cause I see the same things everywhere we go.
Only difference is I think Texas requires a gun rack in the rear window.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, I think those are federal regulations cause I see the same things everywhere we go.
Only difference is I think Texas requires a gun rack in the rear window.

Peace
Dave

How true how true...and we forgot the UT or Aggie sticker on the rear window or bumper