Forum Upgrade Complete - Issues Log

jbeletti

On 01-Jan-2008, the forum was moved to a new web host and was upgraded to the latest build of vBulletin.

As of 02-Jan-2008, I "believe" we have all issues fixed with the new forum software. If anyone finds anything else not working correctly, please email or PM me. Thank you for your patience.

Jim

Last edited:

Barry & Alana

posting

Hi, Jim, Happy New Year.

I have my setting on Hybrid....so when to titles show up with a new post why do they not follow a time or date format, - the new posts show up in the middle of previous posts -

ALana

jbeletti

Hi Alana,

I am not familiar with Hybrid Thread Display Mode. I will switch mine to that and see what it's like and see if it's not working right.

Until then, for others, below is the help screen for the display modes. This is accessed from the UserCP, then Edit Options and scroll down.

What are the various thread display options?
When viewing a thread, you will be able to view the thread from a choice of four modes.

1. Linear Mode (Oldest First) - In this mode, posts are displayed chronologically from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously.

2. Linear Mode (Newest First) - This is the same as the above mode, except that posts are ordered in an opposite way (newest first).

3. Threaded Mode - In this mode, a tree is shown along with every post. This tree allows you to see the relationship each post has to others, in terms of who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time.

4. Hybrid Mode - This mode is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed like in the threaded mode, but multiple posts are displayed simultaneously like in the linear modes.

jbeletti

Okay Alana - I think I see what you are seeing but I think it is normal - albeit undesired.

Hybrid Mode is mixture of the linear and threaded modes. But there are two Threaded modes. The are both chronological but one is standard (oldest to newest) and one is reverse (newest to oldest).

Just so happens that in Hybrid mode, it must choose with type of Threaded mode is used along with Linear mode and it is standard chrono (oldest to newest).

It would be nice if the user you choose from Hybrid mode 1 or 2 but I don't see it. I will however pass it on to JelSoft, the team that created and supports the vBulletin product.

Jim

5erWonk

Jim,

I'm suddenly recieving emails when there are additions to threads I have posted to, is this part of the new upgrade? If so where do I go to enable/diable the feature?

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim,

I'm suddenly recieving emails when there are additions to threads I have posted to, is this part of the new upgrade? If so where do I go to enable/diable the feature?

Thanks
That was happening to me also. Go to your user cp then to edit options. Down a ways you will see "default thread subscription mode". Open up the drop down menu and highlight no e-mail notification to change this setting.

jbeletti

I am not sure if you are seeing notifications as a result of the upgrade or if there are just now, new posts in a thread you have subscribed to.

There are a couple of ways to manage thread subscriptions.

The fast way to manage subscriptions is to go to the User CP link on the left side of the navigation bar (see the image below). Once you click the User CP, you'll see a Subscribed Thread option on the left part way down the page. Under that, click on List Subscriptions. From there, you can check the box to the right of the thread you no longer wish to subscribe to. Then at the both of the page on the right, there is a drop down selection menu. Use it to select Delete Subscription (see the image below). Then select the GO button.

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/subscriptions_cp.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/subscriptions_del.jpg

The other way to do mange (subscribe or unsubscribe) is to navigate to the thread in question. In your case, there is a thread link in the email notification you received. Click that link and your browser will take you to that thread. From the thread (see image below), on the Thread Menu bar, select Thread Tools. From the Thread Tools menu, select Subscribe to this Thread or in your case, you see Unsubscribe from this thread. Select as needed.

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/subscriptions.jpg

jbeletti

My guess is these are legitimate notices for threads you guys have subscribed to but that the notification process was broken on the old version of forum software. Hope that's what is happening anyway :)

jpmorgan37

I was getting the same thing earlier today, and then it stopped without me changing anything. I would wait until everything is finalized before changing any of my settings.

John

jbeletti

Are you getting email notices of threads that you did not subscribe too?

Hey gang,

I need your help. After the forum upgrade, a few users told me they were getting email notifications of threads that had new posts in them. But they said they did not recall subscribing to these threads. Since it was only a couple of users, I surmised that perhaps the users had subscribed to the threads a long time back but that the notice function may have been broken in the old forum and that with the new forum, they began to get the notices.

Well, today I got a note from Mel and Nina stating they were getting thread update notices for a thread in the brand new Arkansas Chapter thread. And they have never subscribed to this thread and the darn thing is a new forum and thread as of yesterday.

This prompted me to contact my consultant and he is looking into it. He has asked me to ask "those who have been getting notices to threads they don't feel they ever subscribed to".

So for those of you, I ask that you please go to this link and scroll about part way down the page and look for "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Below is an image that shows what min looks like. I have outlined in red, my setting.

What we need to know is, "what is your setting". Please reply in this thread with your settings. Remember, I only need to hear from those of you who feel you are getting notices of thread updates to threads you are sure you never subscribed to.

Thanks,

Jim

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/thread_display_options.jpg

jpmorgan37

Jim;

Mine is set on "no email notification" I have been doing an individual unsubscribe each time I received one.

John

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Jim;

Mine is set on "no email notification" I have been doing an individual unsubscribe each time I received one.

John

Mine is doing the same thing.... a big hassle to have to unsubscribe every day and delete e-mails....Ken

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I have not experienced this problem. I am only getting e-mail notifications on those threads that I have started or have replied to.

Tom of Ypsi

Mine in just like Chuck & Saundra's. The only difference I have seen is the leading of pages, much faster, but I am still waiting to see Ray's pics also.

DennisZ

Jim
I'm having a new problem. I just got a PM, and EVERY time I open a post even after I have read the PM I get a notification to read it again. Also, it asks me if I want to view it in a new window. If I pick yes, it just closes out the notification and does not show the message. Any ideas???

Dennis

Jim
On follow-up, if I close the browser and come back to the forum, it shows the message as read and no longer prompts me to view it.

Dennis

Last edited:

5erWonk

Jim,

I am recieving email notification and my default setting is set to "Do not subscribe".

Thanks