Spare Tire Lift Mech.

Bob Vaughn

The crank for the spare tire winch has a slotted hole in it. It takes forever to crank the tire up and down so I was wondering if there is a way to get an adapter to use my drill to lower and raise the spare tire?:mad:

MTPockets

I cranked my down once just to make sure it worked, but hope "I" never need it. If I do, I'll let the road service guy do the cranking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I crank mine each spring just to check it. Fortunately, I have not needed the spare. Can't say it's very strenuous to operate it. Dragging the tire out from underneath the rig may be a different story. I know dragging the spare out from under the truck isn't for the weak.

Hippy

SPARE TIRE!
Those that have newer Cyclones.
Be aware where the spare tire is mounted/located. It's sits lower than the 6 point rear levels to include to far to the rear. I try to angle the 5vr as much as possible as to not drag the rear levels when I go into a driveway. However, this time I left my spare tire behind without dragging my rear 6 point levels. Ouch! Bent the mount and crank.
I found a better place where the spare could have been mounted. Closer to the rear axle which is a lot higher out of the way. Just have to take measurements to see if it'll work and then re modify.
Is there such a spare as a spare saver (donut) for RV's.

wdk450

If you are thinking of making your own drill adapter, I found this drawing for a manual crank for the Venture landing gear with all the dimensions. It seems the tubing ID is 0.51 inch minimum and the OD is 0.74 inch maximum: http://www.venturemfgco.com/admin/uploadfiles/image/file/Manual-20Cranks.pdf

I recently measured all of the cranks: The front (non-hydraulic) landing gear and the spare tire sockets are pretty much the same, the rear stabilizer crank end is a 0.5 inch rod with a 0.250 inch slot sawed 0.250 inch deep into the rod end. The hydraulic pump manual connection is a 0.250 (1/4 ) inch hex socket - use a 1/4 inch hex wrench setup about 7 inches long to access this through the storage compartment with a drill. I am using a 3/8 socket for this and a socket extender cut off to chuck in the drill.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No donut for trailers, tires must carry much more weight and I think the smaller tire would really not work well with the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

SPARE TIRE!
Those that have newer Cyclones.
Be aware where the spare tire is mounted/located. It's sits lower than the 6 point rear levels to include to far to the rear. I try to angle the 5vr as much as possible as to not drag the rear levels when I go into a driveway. However, this time I left my spare tire behind without dragging my rear 6 point levels. Ouch! Bent the mount and crank.
I found a better place where the spare could have been mounted. Closer to the rear axle which is a lot higher out of the way. Just have to take measurements to see if it'll work and then re modify.
Is there such a spare as a spare saver (donut) for RV's.

I wonder if you could use an old metal disk from a farming disk harrow as a bottom protector for the spare tire? I was at an RV park with grass spaces recently, and they were using one of these metal disks to protect an irrigation controller sitting flush on the lawn from damage from RV wheels rolling over it.