EASY PASS.....what to do?...

Yoder

So heres the situation...we are from North West PA and are going to be traveling up I90 near buffalo NY to pick up our new camper Saturday. We have the easy pass that I use in the truck, will we be able to tow the trailer back with no problem? is the easy pass lane able to tell if I have a trailer on? What do I need to do? I tried calling the number on the easy pass but that was little to no help......

oldmannj

Here's my experience. In N.J. Crossing a toll bridge they have 1. Charged me the higher rate for a big truck with 4 axles. 2. On a separate occasion they have scanned the ez pass for the truck and then sent me a ticket for the plate on the trailer I was towing. My wife and I now sit in line and pay the human to A. save money and B. to avoid the ticket in the mail. I don't know if the folks in Pa. are smarter than the morons in N.J. or not. Oh and by the way...by the time you get the bill for the overcharge the grace period has expired for being able to contest the charge!! ED. :angel:

donr827

Here in Florida we have Sun Pass which I guess works the same way. They have the ability to count the axles so I always get charged for four axles. I am able to add other vehicle's license plates to our account. I only have to use one Sun Pass this way. If I use one of my vehicles that does not have the Sun pass in it the scanner will read the license plate and I guess they run it through some type of data file and charge my account.
Don

szewczyk_john

I have had the EZpass for over a year now. Use the EZ pass lanes in PA. There are different rates for EZ pass lanes and using cash. Ez Pass gets at least 35% discount over those that pay cash. I do have issues with the system but it is still cheaper than cash. I have used the turnpike to take son to hockey games and I have been class 2 on the way there and class one on the way back home but it is still cheaper than paying cash. I just checked my account and we used the turnpike for our most recent trip to the Martinsville race. Butler Valley to Breezewood on 3/26 going was class 3 for $18.28, on 4/1 we were class 2 for $15.17. A class 2 with 4 axel cash price is just over $21.00. I have never experienced any problems with towing a trailer behind me.

VKTalley

So heres the situation...we are from North West PA and are going to be traveling up I90 near buffalo NY to pick up our new camper Saturday. We have the easy pass that I use in the truck, will we be able to tow the trailer back with no problem? is the easy pass lane able to tell if I have a trailer on? What do I need to do? I tried calling the number on the easy pass but that was little to no help......

Yoder, I will get my husband to answer this for you (better than I can) as he works in the toll industry (computer programming). You should be just fine using your existing pass with your trailer attached, as mentioned already, the system is set up to count axels.

I use the easy pass in ny to tow with. you need to get in touch with them and they will issue a different pass to put in your truck only when you have the camper on. when you dont tow you will use your standard one.

jnbhobe

I use the easy pass in ny to tow with. you need to get in touch with them and they will issue a different pass to put in your truck only when you have the camper on. when you dont tow you will use your standard one.

I'm in PA but got my EZ pass in NY I have two passes too they work just liks Shawn said

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I also have two devices, one for TV alone and one for TV and coach. They are white and blue in color respectively. You can go throught a manned lane with just your white, TV device and they will correctly charge your account until you get your new blue towing device.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Maybe because I have a dually, I was set up different. But have white EZ Passes for my car and my motorcycle and a blue EZ Pass for my dually truck. I've gone from PA thru Illinois pulling my 5th wheel using the blue EZ Pass and have never had a problem. I just get charged more for the extra two axles when pulling the rig..

TheWinklers

Yoder, I will get my husband to answer this for you (better than I can) as he works in the toll industry (computer programming). You should be just fine using your existing pass with your trailer attached, as mentioned already, the system is set up to count axels.

we can not use our standard ez pass on the Deleware Memorial bridge they always always always charge us the max no matter which lane we are in. Thank you for the info on the Blue I will be calling them today and finding out!

Yoder

I also have two devices, one for TV alone and one for TV and coach. They are white and blue in color respectively. You can go throught a manned lane with just your white, TV device and they will correctly charge your account until you get your new blue towing device.

This is what I have heard, I was hoping NY was able to just count the axles since that would be nice and easy. Ill have to contact someone later today and see. I don't plan on towing the camper on 90 anytime soon besides bringing it home, I just don't think it is worth getting the other transponder, so if they can enter manually how any axles I have and charge it to the easy pass that would be best....

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We only have a white EZ Pass in our truck! We use it whether towing or not. Have been up and down the East Coast and as far west as Indiana with it. The only problem was the Delaware Memorial Bridge. We now bag the EZ Pass and pay that toll in a cash lane for that bridge. Other than that we have had no problems at all and like the convenience of traveling with EZ Pass.

New York does require two EZ Pass transponders but don't really understand why. We check our tolls regularly and have been properly charged with the one unit with or without the trailer.

Donna just call EZ Pass and let them know you tow. I don't think you need another transponder.

You are right there. you couldnt ask for nicer people. i was heading up there also on saturday to have slide topper put on our b.c. but our truck is in the shop. tell them we say hi. have a good trip

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
If you have a dually like us EZ-Pass does charge differently even if not towing. Dually and trailer you will need special blue tag especially in the Great State of NY.

TheWinklers

We only have a white EZ Pass in our truck! We use it whether towing or not. Have been up and down the East Coast and as far west as Indiana with it. The only problem was the Delaware Memorial Bridge. We now bag the EZ Pass and pay that toll in a cash lane for that bridge. Other than that we have had no problems at all and like the convenience of traveling with EZ Pass.

New York does require two EZ Pass transponders but don't really understand why. We check our tolls regularly and have been properly charged with the one unit with or without the trailer.

Donna just call EZ Pass and let them know you tow. I don't think you need another transponder.

They do know what we tow, all tags are also registered. That stupid bridge is our only issue as well.. they charge us 20.00 even in the attended lane with the EZ Pass so now we just leave it home if we know we are going over the bridge it's just not worth it. I'm tired of fighting with them each time to get a refund.

MCTalley

My wife asked me to jump in since I work in the industry (I just supply programming and equipment). However, I'm not as familiar with the northeastern states and their various axle, height, width and other factors that determine rates. I see others in the area have answered your question, though.

dewwood

I have the ezpass from Indiana, but in travelling through NY last fall it worked fine. You only have to call or go online and add the tag numbers for anything you will be towing to your account and it will work fine with one transponder. On I80-90 when towing the rate is almost the same as the cash line but it saves a lot of time because there is always a line at the cash lanes. When just using the tow vehicle the rate is much cheaper than the cash lanes. The website gives all of the toll rates. They charge by number of axles, it does not matter if it is a dually or not. Other tollways may be different but the transponder works for a lot of them in the US and a few in Canada.

SeattleLion

Here in Washington there is a newer system. We don't have any manned lanes on most of our toll roads. All automated lanes also read your license plate. When I got my trailer I called and they said to just add the trailer to my list of vehicles. I didn't need a new "Good To Go" device. If your plates are in the database, you get charged the same as if you had the device. So when I went over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge with the rig, I got two charges, one for the TV via transponder and one for the trailer using the plate number. Both for the same amount.