1st Time Buyer's Mistake

SeattleLion

Last June we bought a 27 ft Kodiak TT. It's just the two of us. It was great, BUT the bed was too short. My feet hung off. It ruined my sleep. The couch was uncomfortable. And it leaked and had endless problems. In January we saw a Bighorn 3160 at the Seattle RV show. We fell in love and bought it. We lost a ton of money. We realized that unless we wanted to keep slowly upgrading we should bite the bullet and get the best. At the time we hadn't heard of Landmark. Actually, the Bighorn is just what we want. It was worth it. This one is a keeper.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our current 2013 Heartland Trail Runner is our first brand new RV . . . and our second overall.

Our first trailer we bought back in 2001 . . . a well used and beat up 1978 Coachman Cadet 24-footer bumper-pull trailer.

Camper10767.jpg CampSite-P9030033.jpg TruckCamperGlewoodSprings-P1050162.jpg Campout-campsite-Dscf0069.jpg Campsite-IMGP0810.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

We had enough cash to pay for it . . . nothing worked in it, except for the stove, furnace and electricity . . . all of the tanks leaked like a sieve . . . had hail dings all over it when we bought it, plus we added more while we owned it . . . the roof looked like a monster truck had driven over it 100 times . . . the trailer brakes only worked when going up hill, not down hill (and we were hauling it in the Rocky Mountains :eek: actually pulled it over Wolf Creek Pass twice with no downhill trailer brakes :eek: :eek: ) . . . but we sure had a lot of fun with it none the less!

It didn't owe us a dime . . . and we got all but $200 back on what we payed for it in trade-in!

Do I miss it?

Sure . . . that old trailer had a certain charm that I miss . . .

But we love our new 2013 Heartland Trail Runner so much more and wouldn't go back for nothin'!

Footnote: According to our dealer, our old trailer is now a hunters cabin somewhere up in the Colorado Rocky Mountains!

Kosanko

We did an opposit initial approach, we looked for RV's for over three years contemplating all possible situations, and after much research we upgrade the truck to a F350 DRW, then settled on a Gateway 3650BH that is 41' for our first RV, I figure over the long haul we damed thousands in upgrade if we would have purchased a TT when we had the F150

callowaykid

Last June we bought a 27 ft Kodiak TT. It's just the two of us. It was great, BUT the bed was too short. My feet hung off. It ruined my sleep. The couch was uncomfortable. And it leaked and had endless problems. In January we saw a Bighorn 3160 at the Seattle RV show. We fell in love and bought it. We lost a ton of money. We realized that unless we wanted to keep slowly upgrading we should bite the bullet and get the best. At the time we hadn't heard of Landmark. Actually, the Bighorn is just what we want. It was worth it. This one is a keeper.

Funny you say that, my brother bought the same Kodiak last year and said the same thing about the bed (and he is barely 6') ended up trading it in also

brianlajoie

We started out a little over two years ago looking for our first trailer. We started with a 21 foot TT. :) The size creaped up unit we realized that the SUV couldn't handle a 28 foot TT. Realizing that we were not going to be happy with any trailer that the SUV could pull, we bought an F350 SRW. We've been getting used to the truck until we finally found our first 5er. Our unit is 35 feet and we're very happy with it. The truck is very happy towing the trailer too. We went over 5 passes each one over 10,000 feet (Molas, Coal Bank, Red Mountain. Vail and Eisenhower). Take your time and don't be rushed. Have a list of what you want in a trailer and keep looking until you find it. Happy Trails!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well, six weeks ago tomorrow (Friday) I upgraded my old 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 to a new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD as we finally realized that for where we are planning on traveling in the future with our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, the old Dodge just wasn't up to the challenge anymore.

We pulled our trailer over the continental divide three weeks ago . . .

Wow . . . what a difference the new truck was compared to how our Dodge 1500 handled the same drive.

Old . . . and new:

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg

I do miss the old truck, but it now has a new owner who is putting it to good use and will get many years of service out of it.

The sale of the Dodge paid for the new Topper which was just installed last Saturday, and the new (and very expensive) license plates, which I will be getting tomorrow.

TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg