Anyone ever rent out their trailer and how?

Kblock108

As with life, things change and it is time to move on from the trailer. I am not in a financial state where they must go so I can live, but wife got a promotion and our time available to go has been cut. So the cost of maintaining it for those 2 trips a year will not be worth it. With that, she is now required to start her doctorite...which is 3 years and 9000 a semester, so to have the ability to pay cash would be huge. I have listed both the truck and trailer up for sale, I am getting bites on the truck and none on the trailer. So the issue becomes do I sell the truck and have the trailer sitting at home until I find a buyer...(it should be noted that I have access to 5th wheel hitched trucks to move it if need be and without a truck payment I can afford to off load the trailer for less to get it off my hands). Then the idea popped in about renting it out, I see companies that do it and people that do it themselves...anyone do either?

GOTTOYS

As with life, things change and it is time to move on from the trailer. I am not in a financial state where they must go so I can live, but wife got a promotion and our time available to go has been cut. So the cost of maintaining it for those 2 trips a year will not be worth it. With that, she is now required to start her doctorite...which is 3 years and 9000 a semester, so to have the ability to pay cash would be huge. I have listed both the truck and trailer up for sale, I am getting bites on the truck and none on the trailer. So the issue becomes do I sell the truck and have the trailer sitting at home until I find a buyer...(it should be noted that I have access to 5th wheel hitched trucks to move it if need be and without a truck payment I can afford to off load the trailer for less to get it off my hands). Then the idea popped in about renting it out, I see companies that do it and people that do it themselves...anyone do either?
NEVER! It's like renting out your house, furnished to someone you don't know. Plus they would have to have a big enough truck with the right equipment and the proper insurance and driving skills....Sell it for whatever you can get and move on. It will never be worth more than it's worth right now....Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's another possibility. Check private campgrounds in your area (or expand your area) that rent trailers to people. The CG we stay at all summer has several TT's that they maintain and rent. He doesn't do 5'er's since he doesn't have a tractor to move them, but who knows what you might find. They might be willing to take it off your hands.

RoadJunkie

Consider that RVs are not typically residential quality and that it takes a gentile hand to keep things operational. Renters don't usually have a dog in the fight when it comes to keeping parts and pieces from breaking. If something fails while the rig is on the road--and something will fail--you, as the owner will likely be responsible for getting it repaired. I also imagine the liability issue strongly come into play.

JohnDar

The CG I mentioned rents them on a site, not for hauling away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

The CG I mentioned rents them on a site, not for hauling away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen two or three parks where there a some rigs for rent and a couple of rent/buy situations. Just don't know if the park owned the rigs or was doing it on consignment/commission for private owners.

DuaneG

I agree renting it is a bad idea in so many ways.

I just spent 4 months in my fifth wheel while a house was being renovated. I in no way want to stereotype folks so don't get me wrong. The people I came across while renting monthly at RV parks were either well off and bought what they wanted or were living pay check to pay check and you could tell which ones based on how bad the trailers were kept.

We have a nice rig, but it definitely shows serious signs of use because of the amount of use over a 4 month period. We kept up on repairs and most renters wouldn't and would want you to fix them. There is also a group of individuals that will rent or steal trailers and grow pot or make meth in them. It can also be moved so it can be moved to private land and you will never see it again.

If you don't get bites on trailer you can always put it at a consignment trailer selling business.

Good luck.

Kblock108

Points very well taken, thanks. I will probably shy away from renting, especially since I want it sold...I just hope I can find a buyer

pegmikef

Points very well taken, thanks. I will probably shy away from renting, especially since I want it sold...I just hope I can find a buyer

The last Good Sams CW flyer I just received has an ad in it about selling on consignment. I don't know anything about it but the number is "855-6-SELL-RV" The add mentions picking up your RV. Since it is free, you might give them a call and see what it is about.

JohnDar

Once more into the fray... The CG owner buys them, fixes them up, rents them for use on his CG, and maintains them. My sister and the wife's girlfriend have rented a couple of them the last two years. He sets them in sites near our seasonal spot. They're clean and functional. Have a problem and he comes out to handle it.

campcrew

There are also companies that will rent out trailers for NASCAR events. They will come and set them up in a campground near the track for the renters and then remove them after the races.

kkamshop

My brother sold his 5th wheel to a campground owner in Florida. He was going to put it on a site and rent it out.

priorguy

Lots of them around my seasonal site too. They have about a dozen identical newly purchased units large enough for two families and then about a half dozen randomly purchased used units. Including an old Bounder MH they place behind me this year. They had a large event planned and gave letters to all if us indicating they would rent it out for us to better accommodate the large gathering anticipated. DW didn't feel comfortable with strangers in our unit.