Is It Time For An RV Operator License

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanAndBill

I have a class A CDL with air brake, triples and tanker endorsements. I didn't think the tests were that hard and they really don't teach you much.

I didn't think they were either, but I had a whole lot of years of experience already. A friend of mine (insurance agent) wanted to get his because he thought he wanted to own a truck that he could put a driver in, and lease on to me. Took him three times and I still wouldn't let him drive it with my signs on it. Again my comment isn't so much about those with some experience, it's more toward those without. I like the earlier comment about an RV course tied to an insurance discount.

I know my reflexes and reaction times are slowing down. It's not opinion, it's an unfortunate fact of life. To me putting an older driver, with slower reflexes, reaction times and no experience in a big rig, is like putting a 16 year old in a high powered muscle car.

GOTTOYS

I kept my class A status when I recently renewed my drivers license even though I don't need it. I think sooner or later all States will have a non-commercial class A requirement. Sooner would be fine with me...Don

Lynn1130

You think this topic will raise hackles, watch this--

No one here mentions the possibility of age being a factor and we all will be the first in our families to fight it when our kids think we have become too dangerous to be driving but it is a factor in some of these incidents. It is especially true in places like the Phoenix area (and Texas) where snowbirds flock by the thousands. Not only in RVs but in cars. We dodge them all winter long here. They turn from the wrong lanes, without signals. They drive 20 mph under the speed limit in freeway traffic and most of them are driving behemoth vehicles that they cannot control. So, before we start pushing for special licensing for RVs perhaps we should admit that we just are not as adept at seeing and avoiding things as we were some years ago.

Speedy

I agree completely that at certain times in ones driving career one needs to be tested more often. Not just seniors but newly licensed people (teens) as well. As far as this discussion goes, no matter the size of the vehicle written and behind the wheel testing would go along way in the goal of improving driver quality.

dave10a

Regardless if your home state requires a class A or CDL class A, one should gain knowlege and competency for driving anything that the Federal guidelines define. The states are not mandated to the Federal guidlines and some follow them and some go their own way. In any event reciprocity is honored. It is highly recommended that one could pass both a written and a non CDL class A driving test before the attempt to drive. Dealers and manufacturers SHOULD offer access to driving schools that teach those qualification and are indifferent to highway safety if they do not offer access to those schools. I think they call that respect for the public safety.

Kbvols

I believe a lot of accidents or incidents can be avoided if people just slow down a bit and eliminate the distractions. The old saying haste makes waste certainly increases when towing any size trailer. I always remind myself slow down....double check every move. Distractions....cell phones, radios, tpms, the dog...I can go on and on . I firmly believe distracted drivers pose more of a threat than even intoxicated drivers. I see it daily people texting and driving, eating and driving , cell phone to the ear etc.. Perhaps a license would ensure some level of competence but it certainly won't stop people from just being careless or being distracted behind the wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTPockets

People behave strangely when behind the wheel. Just 15 minutes ago following a Towed 25 ft trailer, on 65 MPH easy 2 lane. He was at 50 - 55 MPH so I passed. Now I'm at 65 speed limit and he is tailgating me. We got to Pizza Hut where Zi pull in and he continues.. What that was about I'll never know.

B

BouseBill

As stated previously this has been debated on more than one thread. But I'll throw my .02 cents in anyway.......NO, NO and NO. Keep your government rules and regulations out of my life and my pocketbook. The land of the free and home of the brave is already the home of the over-lawed, over regulated and over-taxed.

MTPockets

As stated previously this has been debated on more than one thread. But I'll throw my .02 cents in anyway.......NO, NO and NO. Keep your government rules and regulations out of my life and my pocketbook. The land of the free and home of the brave is already the home of the over-lawed, over regulated and over-taxed.
Amen

Grey Ghost

Just my opinion!! I think most accidents occur due to speed and being in a hurry. I usually pull at 60 to 65 mph on the interstate and I've been passed (most of the time) by rigs doing 75 and 85 mph. Some are kids and most are people old enough to know better! 65 is fast enough for a pickup pulling a 40' trailer or 5ver, sorry it just is. I've also seen people pulling into a camp spots without getting out to look at the space prior to backing in. They are just in a hurry and get themselves into problems by not taking their time. I've backed into some pretty tight spots in my day, but I've always tried to take my time doing so and getting out and looking at everything prior to backing up. I've also been in some places that I just said NO WAY and picked another spot. I've also seen people back into other campers and just pull away because no one was home at the time. I've taken their plate numbers and passed them on to the victim of the hit and run! We all need to slow down and enjoy the views! That is why we pull our houses with us instead of flying everywhere and renting a room. Enjoy yourself and be safe out there!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've gotta agree, No! No! No! more government regulations that are "loosely" enforced. In my years in law enforcement, many if not most accidents involving trucks pulling trailers are caused by another vehicle, requiring evasive action by the truck driver. This includes everything from big rigs with 80,000 pounds on the trailer to small SUV's pulling a popup.

We've all seen the drivers that can't stand to be behind that old man with his fifth wheel traveling at 62 mph when they want to drive 70+ and can't wait to pass, sometimes unsafely, or cut us off at an exit.

danemayer

I've gotta agree, No! No! No! more government regulations that are "loosely" enforced.

Yep. Why does California law require a Class A license for towing most fifth wheels, but then not enforce the law? If you're not prepared to enforce the law, it should not be put on the books. If already there it should be repealed.

JanAndBill

As I suspected this post drew a lot of activity pro and con. Our mobility is even more important in our senior years than our teens. We've finally reached a point in life when we have the time and money to actually enjoy life. It's a bittersweet time, as we age, knowing that at some point we will lose what we we've worked so hard and long to have, which is probably why we are so passionate about any limitations on that mobility. However, as a senior, I have to realize that my rights only extend to the point that they infringe on someone else. If I'm unsafe or only marginally safe in operating my RV on the highway, I'm infringing on the rights of others. My original post had to do with where we draw the line on our limitations. Most of those here on the forum have experience in some type of towing. I think all would agree that there are major differences (attention, response time, experience, etc) in towing a popup or a 40' 5th wheel. Likewise there are major differences in cargo van conversion, and a 45' MH.

They've pretty much reached the limit on MH's under current regulations, but the recent upgrade on weight capability of tow vehicle means RV manufacturers will quickly move to utilize that capability and consumers will rush to buy them. Perhaps if the industry took a proactive approach by providing training/certification to new purchasers, it might stave of Federal Regulations, but frankly the time has come for something.

Jim.Allison

What is the difference between the two licenses? A non commercial class A is only a few test question and a ride around the block. Since my insurance on my RV is so cheap, I think insurance actuaries are responding to a low risk market accurately.
As I suspected this post drew a lot of activity pro and con. Our mobility is even more important in our senior years than our teens. We've finally reached a point in life when we have the time and money to actually enjoy life. It's a bittersweet time, as we age, knowing that at some point we will lose what we we've worked so hard and long to have, which is probably why we are so passionate about any limitations on that mobility. However, as a senior, I have to realize that my rights only extend to the point that they infringe on someone else. If I'm unsafe or only marginally safe in operating my RV on the highway, I'm infringing on the rights of others. My original post had to do with where we draw the line on our limitations. Most of those here on the forum have experience in some type of towing. I think all would agree that there are major differences (attention, response time, experience, etc) in towing a popup or a 40' 5th wheel. Likewise there are major differences in cargo van conversion, and a 45' MH.

They've pretty much reached the limit on MH's under current regulations, but the recent upgrade on weight capability of tow vehicle means RV manufacturers will quickly move to utilize that capability and consumers will rush to buy them. Perhaps if the industry took a proactive approach by providing training/certification to new purchasers, it might stave of Federal Regulations, but frankly the time has come for something.

whp4262

What is the difference between the two licenses? A non commercial class A is only a few test question and a ride around the block. Since my insurance on my RV is so cheap, I think insurance actuaries are responding to a low risk market accurately.

The difference between a commercial class A and non-commercial class A is the requirement for a medical certificate for the commercial class A and the ability to drive for hire. When I did the driving test I had to do it with a tractor/trailer.

DW_Gray

What are the numbers of accidents involving RV's compared to those involving passenger vehicles?

Yep, good question. I've researched this in the past and from what I can tell, RV accidents aren't even on the radar. RVs are not separated from general accident reports. I read about RV fires more than anything else (almost daily).

Jim.Allison

You misunderstood my rhetorical question. My question was in response to the OP who seems to favor CDL for operating a 5th wheel. It is a rhetorical question only, what is the difference between a class C and an A non commercial? The answer is nothing except a few extra questions and a ride around the block. Lowering the requirements for a Class A to a fifth wheel weighing less than 15000 lbs GVW is useless. I'm further stating rhetorically that insurance actuarial tables do not reflect a problem among RV operators. In Texas you are limited to 26000 lbs GCVW or a 5th wheel of GVWR of15000 lbs, no matter your GCVW you cannot tow a 5th wheel travel trailer over 15000 lbs without a class A non commercial.

In all actuality, forcing 5th wheel owners to obtain a class A non commercial will then allow bigger rigs out on the highway with the same drivers you were trying to eliminate in the first place. Those are the unintended consequences, the government refers to from time to time. lol

Honestly, of all the things going on on the highway, I would think that this is low on the priority list, getting little girls off of their cellphones while driving would be number one, number two is having cars seriously inspected, number 3 would be a serious effort to enforce red lights and stop signs. Knowing that speed kills, speed laws should be abided by and serious fines attached to speeding. Liability insurance or the lack of, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a big problem and needs to be addressed. Young people driving with their left foot on the dashboard is the epitome of ignorance. Among the top problems on the road is competitive driving, where people intentionally fail to yield to signal lights. The list goes on, but I will watch the news tonight and see how many RV roll overs I see tonight and get back to you on the subject.

People who have CDLs are quick to think that everyone towing an RV should have one. But one does not realize all the little things that go along with the TAX. This is a big can of worms and it looks like anyone that has been paying attention to the way that government operates would never let this camel's nose into the tent.

The difference between a commercial class A and non-commercial class A is the requirement for a medical certificate for the commercial class A and the ability to drive for hire. When I did the driving test I had to do it with a tractor/trailer.

Jim.Allison

What are you more concerned about? Getting hit by a old guy in an RV or a highschool student eating a hamburger with his right hand while using his cell phone with his left and driving with his knee.

DW_Gray

I lean toward testing the older drivers. I rescued a 81 year old Navy Admiral after his toad ran over him after he released the toad's brake. The motor coach brake was not engaged. His wife was in the driver's seat while it continued to slowly roll and didn't know how to stop it.

For a potentially profitable business, I'm wondering when RV weighing will be required. (I'll not hold my breath.)

Status
Not open for further replies.