Is It Time For An RV Operator License

Status
Not open for further replies.

danemayer

In Texas you are limited to 26000 lbs GCVW or a 5th wheel of GVWR of15000 lbs, no matter your GCVW you cannot tow a 5th wheel travel trailer over 15000 lbs without a class A non commercial.
Well, actually most people do tow 5th wheels with GVWR over 15,000 lbs without getting a Class A license. We have these discussions periodically and over the past 4 years I'm sure we've not ever heard from anyone stopped, warned or ticketed for towing a big 5th wheel with a Class C license.

ILH

What are you more concerned about? Getting hit by a old guy in an RV or a highschool student eating a hamburger with his right hand while using his cell phone with his left and driving with his knee.

Obviously I am concern about distracted drivers of any age - but we already have laws for that. What I am concerned about is the driver who has limited ability to drive anything more than the family sedan. We've all presumably been tested for our ability to drive a car at some point in our life - but getting behind the wheel of a truck with 40' trailer requires some skill. The fact that we're all reading this forum alone puts us into another category, but would you worry about handing your truck and trailer to a neibor for the first time?

scottyb

Texas doesn't distinguish between TT's , gooseneck, or 5th wheels. The weight limit is 10K being towed unless it is for farm use it is 20K.

Bohemian

A Class C is good for combinations under 26,001 lbs. but some states add further restrictions on their own drivers for trailers weighing more than anywhere from 10,000 t 16,000 lbs. depending on the issuing state. Each state must recognize the validity of other states licenses for those states drivers.

Jim.Allison

You are so right, I don't know where I found that info, CA maybe, I stand corrected. So what is needed in Texas? A non-commercial class B?
Texas doesn't distinguish between TT's , gooseneck, or 5th wheels. The weight limit is 10K being towed unless it is for farm use it is 20K.

JanAndBill

You misunderstood my rhetorical question. My question was in response to the OP who seems to favor CDL for operating a 5th wheel.

JIm:

Either you misread my original post or I didn't make myself clear. I do not favor a Class A CDL's for RV operators. My question was "should RV operators of rigs over a certain weight be required to show proof of their capability of operating said rigs and be licensed accordingly?" Be it an industry driven program whereby dealers offer training to new purchasers, or state driven by offering a new class of license. In our state you don't have to have a CDL to operate a motorcycle, or boat, but you do have to test to add it to your license as a class V (boat) or class M (motorcycle).

Jim.Allison

So what exact license should required of the driver of a 10,000 GVW tow vehicle and 15,500 lb 5th wheel? And should a holder of that license have to undergo a annual physical to maintain that license? What happens if he has to take a little prozac to get along? What if the driver is 50 but takes a heart medicine for a condition not likely to impair his ability to drive a vehicle?

What are the statistics that will be improved. And how would you change the current law to make that improvement?

porthole

Retired
For a potentially profitable business, I'm wondering when RV weighing will be required. (I'll not hold my breath.)

Hopefully never, and if it does happen, the scales that get thrown around like playing cards better be calibrated - frequently.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JanAndBill

So what exact license should required of the driver of a 10,000 GVW tow vehicle and 15,500 lb 5th wheel? And should a holder of that license have to undergo a annual physical to maintain that license? What happens if he has to take a little prozac to get along? What if the driver is 50 but takes a heart medicine for a condition not likely to impair his ability to drive a vehicle?

What are the statistics that will be improved. And how would you change the current law to make that improvement?

Last week talked with a couple in their late 70's. She has cardiac problems, he has been diagnosed diabetic but refuses to take medication, he is almost totally deaf and refuses to wear any type of hearing aid, and both of them have very limited mobility. Their RV was a 45' MH with a gross weight approaching 54k. She told of how the previous week when she was driving she almost lost control coming down a steep grade on a 2 lane highway in TN, in heavy rain. She was afraid to hit the brakes and was running over 85 by the time she got to the bottom. Despite his medical issues, he was driving when they left, barely missing several vehicles, trees, and other obstacles,, totally oblivious to the other campers trying to help him get out.

There are, I know, others out there in their late 70's that would have no trouble at all, but the highway doesn't belong to anyone individual. I believe I have a reasonable right to expect that the person coming at me in a 25 ton vehicle is capable of passing by me without killing me or my loved ones. My concern is as I originally pointed out, the "size and weight" of rigs is increasing. The potential for horrendous damage goes up as the weight of the vehicle goes up. Without some type of requirements on operation of these big rigs, be it training or certification, we could and will be facing more and more of the couples like the one above.

Bohemian

Age is an important factor, but not the factor that needs control.

There are more incompetent and dangerous middle aged people on the road than old people.

If we are going to get real, then let's actually get real.

First, start putting drunks in jail.

bdb2047

If the state you are licensed in has a non/commercial class A/B/C and you are involved in an incident while pulling camper or driving. Could there be consequences if you do not have proper class? With insurance cos. looking for any out they can find and the legal industry looking for revenue where does that leave you? For myself I have a non commercial class A. Had class A CDL turned it in for non commercial when I retired.

Jim.Allison

Negligent homicide? Maybe!

An insurance company can't skate on the liability in Texas because it is the vehicle that has the liability insurance not the operator. Not sure what other states do in this regard, but I'm sure many are similarly situated.

It could be said that you were not licensed for the vehicle that you were driving when you killed someone; that you were negligent, and had you been licensed the accident and resulting death would not have occurred. This is classic negligent homicide.

It is always problematic whenever a death occurs and someone knows, or should know, they are breaking the law.

If the state you are licensed in has a non/commercial class A/B/C and you are involved in an incident while pulling camper or driving. Could there be consequences if you do not have proper class? With insurance cos. looking for any out they can find and the legal industry looking for revenue where does that leave you? For myself I have a non commercial class A. Had class A CDL turned it in for non commercial when I retired.

Bohemian

Probably a moot point. The owner will be sued. It is the owners liability insurance company that will make decisions as to how to proceed and pay. If the owner refuses to allow the insurance company to have control then the owner is not insured.

donr827

I think that it is the buyers responsibility to know how to drive-pull the RV before making the purchase............Don

Jim.Allison

Only when it comes to settling the case out of court, if the insurance company can settle it you must let them settle it. But if it goes to court, the insurance has to pay for the judgement up to their contracted amounts. So its best to carry proper amounts of insurance.

Probably a moot point. The owner will be sued. It is the owners liability insurance company that will make decisions as to how to proceed and pay. If the owner refuses to allow the insurance company to have control then the owner is not insured.

Bohemian

As I said, if the insurance company has control they pay. If you take control and refuse to let the insurance company control, you pay. Court or no court.

TXTiger

As far as the civil side, As part of your insurance policy you agree to cooperate with your insurance company and if the insurance company wants to settle out of court they can do so weather or not you approve or disapprove for any amount up to your policy limits. If the insurance company refuses to settle for your policy limits, assuming a demand for policy limits has been made, and a judgement is rendered for an amount above your policy the insurance company must pay the excess limits.

As as far as the criminal side, unless you have been negligent in the operation of your vehicle it is very doubtful that you would be charged with homicide for not having a commercial license.

JanAndBill

Not quite sure how that would work with reciprocity between states. (Your home state requires it, but the state that you had the accident in doesn't and vice versa). I'd say that if you have an accident in your home state (that requires it) and there is a fatality, then you most likely would be facing criminal negligence charges of some type. Most insurance policies carry some type of exclusions when the driver/owner is guilty of committing a criminal act. Would be wise to at least follow the laws of your home state, and to know those of the states you travel in. Ignorantia juris non excusat

As someone pointed out earlier, insurance companies have a duty to protect their insured to the same extent as their own interest. "IF" a plaintiff makes a demand for settlement within policy limits, then the insurance company could be on the hook for an excess judgment if they refuse. However, what if the claim grossly exceeds policy limits (multiple injuries/fatalities)? The insurance company is still on the hook for the limit, but you're on the hook for the excess, whatever it may be.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And if my state doesn't require special permits and another does, will they set up state border crossings at each state line to see if you "have zee papers, mein Herr?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.