Is It Time For An RV Operator License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohemian

And if my state doesn't require special permits and another does, will they set up state border crossings at each state line to see if you "have zee papers, mein Herr?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interstate commerce clause forbids such behavior.

rxbristol

Texas doesn't distinguish between TT's , gooseneck, or 5th wheels. The weight limit is 10K being towed unless it is for farm use it is 20K.

You guys cause anxiety. :) I looked up the latest TX DMV rules. RV drivers are exempt to having a Class A driver's licence in TX as long as the TV and trailer does not meet the commercial definition. Bottom line, a commercial vehicle meets the following requirements: total GVWR is over 26,000 lbs and trailer is over 10,000 (Class A), or TV is over 26,000 lbs and trailer is under 10,000 lbs (Class B), or used to carrying multiple passengers or hazardous waste that requires a placard (Class C)--otherwise you're exempt from having a Class A license for personal RV use even though a TV and 5ver exceeds the normal classification of a non-commercial Class C licence (towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs.). Fortunately for me, my setup does not meet the definition of a commercial vehicle.

Last edited:

bsuds

Here in British Columbia Canada towing anything over 10,000lbs requires a written and a road test. I think that's a good thing and learned lots doing it.

Jim.Allison

Post the link please. I need to read that. I accidently read California's the other night and it fouled me up and I posted based on it. Then I finally found Texas and it was very confounding. So anything I said about Texas licensing requirements means nothing........LOL. I'm trying to find the post so I can delete it, I don't want anyone getting screwed up like I was.

You guys cause anxiety. :) I looked up the latest TX DMV rules. RV drivers are exempt to having a Class A driver's licence in TX as long as the TV and trailer does not meet the commercial definition. Bottom line, a commercial vehicle meets the following requirements: total GVWR is over 26,000 lbs and trailer is over 10,000 (Class A), or TV is over 26,000 lbs and trailer is under 10,000 lbs (Class B), or used to carrying multiple passengers or hazardous waste that requires a placard (Class C)--otherwise you're exempt from having a Class A license for personal RV use even though a TV and 5ver exceeds the normal classification of a non-commercial Class C licence (towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs.). Fortunately for me, my setup does not meet the definition of a commercial vehicle.

danemayer

There's CDL Class A for commercial, and there's non-CDL Class A for non-commercial.

"Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:
  • Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use...."

Class A
Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
  2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

(Emphasis added)

Link to Texas Info.

scottyb

You guys cause anxiety. :) I looked up the latest TX DMV rules. RV drivers are exempt to having a Class A driver's licence in TX as long as the TV and trailer does not meet the commercial definition.

An RV is exempt from CDL requirements, but is not exempt from weight restrictions. Look at what you are qualified to drive with a standard Class C driver's license. This has nothing to do with a CDL.

This is from the 2014 Texas Driver's Handbook. Pg 4

Class C Driver License
A Class C driver license permits a person to drive:
1. A single vehicle or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B; and
2. A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 lbs. towing a trailer
not to exceed 10,000 lbs. GVWR or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 lbs.
A Class C driver license does not permit a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

rxbristol

Post the link please. I need to read that. I accidently read California's the other night and it fouled me up and I posted based on it. Then I finally found Texas and it was very confounding. So anything I said about Texas licensing requirements means nothing........LOL. I'm trying to find the post so I can delete it, I don't want anyone getting screwed up like I was.

Drivers licence handbook: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-7.pdf

Read page three, "Classified Drivers Licenses"

Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook: http://192.168.1.1:8181/http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

Read the Prologue, "Different Classes of Commercial Driver Licenses".

rxbristol

An RV is exempt from CDL requirements, but is not exempt from weight restrictions. Look at what you are qualified to drive with a standard Class C driver's license. This has nothing to do with a CDL.

This is from the 2014 Texas Driver's Handbook. Pg 4

True, but MOST RV's are still exempt from any CDL (not commercial) and a Class A, because even though it is over the weight limit for a standard Class C, it does not meet the definition of a commercial vehicle. That's why certain classes of vehicles (military, fire department, RV's) are exempt from any additional licencing.

scottyb

You are confusing CDL with non-commercial. There are two Class A driver's licenses, as Dan stated. A Class A CDL, which you do not need, and there is a Class A non-commercial, which you do need. It's simply a matter of what you are not qualified to drive with you Class C, and weight becomes the driving force.

So answer one question. If a driver of an RV is not required to have a Class A or B non commercial license, what is the purpose of a Class A or B non commercial license? I have one in my wallet.

danemayer

They work for us, Im calling them tomorrow and find out what is required and why.

Good luck getting a clear answer from DPS personnel. In 2010 when I was trying to find out, everyone I spoke with at DPS had a different answer.

If you don't trust the handbook and want to dive into the underlying statute, here's a link.

Subchapter D, Sec 521.081 spells it out. Sec 521 doesn't deal with Commercial Drivers Licenses at all.

Sec 522 deals with Commercial Drivers Licenses. Sec 522.041 states the Class A CDL weight limits.
Sec 522.004 (4) is where the personal use RV exemption is found. That exempts RVs from the CDL chapter 522, but not from the prior chapter 521.

Bohemian

It's not a law. It's part of the Constitution. It has an extremely well established legal standing. No, it will not be easily changed except by Constitutional Amendment which will not happen.

whp4262

You are confusing CDL with non-commercial. There are two Class A driver's licenses, as Dan stated. A Class A CDL, which you do not need, and there is a Class A non-commercial, which you do need. It's simply a matter of what you are not qualified to drive with you Class C, and weight becomes the driving force.

So answer one question. If a driver of an RV is not required to have a Class A or B non commercial license, what is the purpose of a Class A or B non commercial license? I have one in my wallet.

Here is one example of why you would need a non-commercial license. I have a dump truck with a GVWR of 30,000 which requires at least a class B and if I pull a trailer with it that weighs more than 10,000 then I need a class A. If I use the truck for personal use then I would need the appropriate non-commercial license and medical certification would not be required. If I get paid for hauling stuff in the truck I would need the appropriate commercial license and medical certification is required.

Jim.Allison

Using my Rig as an Example:
Truck: 10,000GVW and 5th wheel 15500 GVW
Fact: RV for personal use is exempt CDL, but may require A B or C depending on the weight of the vehicles in question.

I have marked in red the provisions of law that does not apply to my rig.........

According to Texas Driving handbook and transportation code you may operate with a class C license anything not identified in A or B.

TRANSPORTATION CODE

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBCHAPTER D. CLASSIFICATION OF DRIVER'S LICENSES

Sec. 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE. A Class A driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 521.082. CLASS B LICENSE. (a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:
(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or
(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and
(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more.
(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(3), seating capacity is computed in accordance with Section 502.253, except that the operator's seat is included in the computation.

Sec. 521.083. CLASS C LICENSE. A Class C driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:

(1) a vehicle or combination of vehicles not described by Section 521.081 or 521.082; and

(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds.

scottyb

Using my Rig as an Example:
Truck: 10,000GVW and 5th wheel 15500 GVW
Fact: RV for personal use is exempt CDL, but may require A B or C depending on the weight of the vehicles in question.

I have marked in red the provisions of law that does not apply to my rig.........

Precisely. You may have hit on a new reason not to buy a 350/3500 with a 11K GVWR. It would have put you over. For the 18K trailers, there's no getting around it.

Jim.Allison

Scotty

It appears at first glance that it would put it into Section 521.082 (2) in a hurry. Because both the truck and trailer are 10,000 GVW and it exceeds 26000 lbs. I'm amazed at how radically it changes.

Precisely. You may have hit on a new reason not to buy a 350/3500 with a 11K GVWR. It would have put you over. For the 18K trailers, there's no getting around it.

JanAndBill

The difference in license requirements between states is another reason for a standard nationwide RV endorsement. I'm not sure how reciprocity would be viewed (no home state requirement vs special endorsements in the state you are driving) in the event of an accident involving serious injury or a fatality.

Status
Not open for further replies.