YIKES! Mouse in the house!!

soilmovers

Our rig is used on the job site. We are currently parked on a 1000 acre tract in the Piney Woods of Texas.
We closed up the rig and headed home for a couple weeks while waiting on drier weather.
After arriving today, there is evidence of a mouse or two- mostly under the desk, in the corners of the kitchen and in the living room floor vents. UGH.............

OK- I have dealt with a few critters in the storage unit but this worries me. How are they getting in?

I have a couple peanut butter traps set with high hope of nabbing the beast(s).

this is totally gross..... help!:eek:
Cindy

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
A mouse must be one of the most flexible of all pests as it doesn't take much of an opening for the critter to come in.

Many suggest moth balls when putting the trailer into temporary storage. We've tried this with less than successful results and have gotten a stinky trailer as a result.

Use expanding foam - like The Dow Chemical Company's Great Stuff and plug every hole that can be plugged. Purchase some bronze wool (like steel wool, only it doesn't rust) and use it in every spot that foam cannot be used. You can find this at a boater's supply store.

There are some battery-operated devices that create a sound that is supposed to repel pests. Not sure how long something like this will last.

Use DeCon as it is supposed to drive the poisoned critter outside where it dies.

This is a tedious task, but better than finding mouse droppings.

Good luck.

ct0218

The flexible pvc molding around the bottoms of the slides are 1 good place for them to get in. Also, any access to the basement or underbelly will work. Once they get in there then anywhere there is a slightly oversize plumbing or heater duct access hole they will get into the living area. Their access to the openings are usually tires, hoses and power cables so look in those areas for an entry point. They can really flatten their bodies and squeeze through very small and irregular openings, usually much smaller than you would think. The back cap (bottom) seems a little vulnerable to me, and that is a project for me next week. I'm just not sure what areas are accessible from there, but on mine the gap there is quite large.

jammaw08

I would advise against using DCon if you have pets in your camper. I had a little dog get behind a heavy piece of furniture in the house and she ate some of it. She died and needless to say it broke my heart. I never would have dreamed she could get behind that big chest. That's why I put it back there.

Oh, dear. I felt real confident that they couldn't get in the camper. That would ruin my trip in a real hurry.

5erWonk

When using snap traps be sure to bait the trap for a few days before setting them so they get used to feeding, much better success.

The Decon method will only drive them outside if they can't find water inside the rig. You may find them swimming in the toilet, that's when the fun starts.:eek:

truknutt

Committed Member
Poison isn't recommended for two reasons: one of which Jammaw mentioned (poor pup) and the other is that if they die inside your house or rig, you have to find them before the "death smell" permiates everything!

We found that peanut butter traps draw other varmits..like ants or gnats!

We use glue traps secured to something as they will move if the rodents feet are still on the floor.

By the way, those Ultrasonic devices are just great, (NOT)..we have them in the house and the other day found a "deposit" right in front of one! That's either one defiant mouse or one piece of crap (pun intended)!

jwb187

I had a mouse problem late last year, checked the 5'ver after not being in it for a couple of weeks and found plenty of evidence they had been there.....put the small green and white pellets in empty 22 shell boxes (5 of them) and they emptied them overnight for several nights....go figure. I then concocted a glue trap and stuck the shell box on the side and placed it where droppings were.....came out the next morning, apparently one had got caught in the glue trap as trap was turned over as was all the pellets.....lots of blood around...apparently the critter chewed his foot loose from the glue trap, never found him.....finally covered all the vents with duct tape, since then no pellets eaten or glue traps bothered....I taped them to the counter and the floor...this spring going to use gap filler and steel wool in any space I can find under the unit....I've looked and can't figure where they are coming in....they are a pesky pest.

I prefer a repellant rather than a poison. I use Fresh Cab- google it- and so far so good. The repellant puts out an odor that is offensive to mice so they just leave. I, however find the odor very fresh and pleasant. It does require refreshing fairly often but it is a small price to pay to keep your rig clear of these pests. I live in the mountains and store my rig for several months at a time and I am pleased so far.

soilmovers

Mouse patrol update

Caught a fat little mouse in the storage unit last night using the peanut butter spring trap. Hopefully, that was the only one!

I'm thinking they are coming into the living area via the vent under the refrig.
Can I attach metal window screen on the back side? Or any ideas?

Cindy

ct0218

You can, but most likely there are some openings aroud plumbing that will still allow them to ge into the kitchen, etc. Probably would have access to the whole basement and all that wonderful fiberglass insulation to nest in. Best bet is to find where they're getting in, and stop them there. I saw an RV a couple of years ago that was at CW in Tallahassee for service (for a plumbling leak) and the tech was cutting out the bottom membrane. No less than about a bushel of sunflower seeds dumped on top of him, and even more husks fell out. Must have been a mouse condo in there.

russell

I have had great success with Downey drier sheets. Yes the ones you throw in the drier to soften your fabrics. It must be the scent they give off. I throw them behind drawers, in closets and under furniture. Not only will mice be repelled but even bugs and spiders seem to disappear.

rvv

For extended storage periods try BOUNCE dryer sheets. They MUST be the ORIGINAL scent. Put them EVERYWHERE. They may not keep 100% of the mice out, but the mice tend not to stay long enough to do damage (like chewing). They are more effective than mothballs and some (my wife for instance) think they smell better. We have used these for several winters now in our "stored" vehicles (cars, boat, rv, etc.) and it has stopped mouse damage to them. They must be BOUNCE and they must be ORIGINAL SCENT. NO, I DON'T OWN STOCK IN WHOEVER MAKES BOUNCE DRYER SHEETS. Hope this helps. rvv

rvv

I did not see Russell's post before I sent mine. We have had great luck with Bounce (its all we've ever tried) but apparently Downey works too. Good luck! rvv

soilmovers

Mouse in the house update

I figured the mice are coming in thru the docking center- climbing up the satellite cable, entering the storage area and then slipping in thru the vent under the refrig to frolick in a nice warm living room.

The round cover is resting on the opening since the cable is fed thru it.
Is there anything I can do to seal this better?

thanks,
Cindy

5erWonk

You can make a flat round piece of plastic about 6" to 8" in diameter then drill a small hole to fit tightly on the cable then cut from the hole to the outside edge of the disc so you can fit it on the cable. Slide this on the mid point section of cable that is hanging below the trailer. This should prevent them from getting to the access hole.

Another option would be to buy an additional port hole cover and drill a small hole in it for the cable.

Good luck

ct0218

My docking center is completely sealed--they can come in the access port, but there's no where to go from there. Are they not sealed any more?

soilmovers

My docking center is completely sealed--they can come in the access port, but there's no where to go from there. Are they not sealed any more?

when the door is closed, it does not seal tight against the docking station divider wall. Looks like about 1" gap.

soilmovers

You can make a flat round piece of plastic about 6" to 8" in diameter then drill a small hole to fit tightly on the cable then cut from the hole to the outside edge of the disc so you can fit it on the cable. Slide this on the mid point section of cable that is hanging below the trailer. This should prevent them from getting to the access hole.

Another option would be to buy an additional port hole cover and drill a small hole in it for the cable.

Good luck

great ideas. I will try to make the disk first. Thanks!

Cindy