Axel Alignment

'Lil Guy'

Out of nessessity, I added the Correct Track alignment system to my E289 to help raise the height of the PB. These are used to align the axels if there is some misalignment from the factory. I also understand that the weight in the unit can efect the alignment. My question is about all of the tire blowouts and tire seperations. I know that a radial tires should never be rotated from left to right side of unit due to tire rotation. I've read that an out of aligned set of axels puts a lot of stress on the tires. Could this be the cause of some of these blowouts I read about? Have any of you ever checked your axel alignment with the PB? I've read they need to be within 1/8" of each other in relation to the PB. I can see where this would help the tire run cooler and have less stress put on it. How many of you have ever checked your axel alignment and is it really that important? They claim better mileage, less strain on tires and cooler running. Makes sense to me. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wdk450

Although I have Correct Track, I believe the best trailer axle alignment is done by a truck alignment service center using a laser system and hydraulic jacks to bend the axles into perfect multi-angle alignment, not just the 1 dimension the Correct Track adjusts.

sengli

I have never checked mine. Guess if your tires start to wear in an non standard fashion...then you should check into it.

danemayer

How many of you have ever checked your axel alignment
At the 2013 North American Rally in Goshen, Lippert/Mobile Outfitters was doing a free check on axle alignment to pinbox using the Correct Track Laser Measurement System. I don't know how many were checked or how many were out of alignment, but we were within 1/8". The guy 2 rigs in front of us was off by almost 1".

The theory behind Correct Track that's been explained to us is that as you load the RV for travel, the different weight side-to-side compresses the suspension unequally resulting in a possible alignment issue. Correct Track allows you to adjust the axles back into alignment.

GOTTOYS

Although I have Correct Track, I believe the best trailer axle alignment is done by a truck alignment service center using a laser system and hydraulic jacks to bend the axles into perfect multi-angle alignment, not just the 1 dimension the Correct Track adjusts.
Totally agree! These trailers are not aligned when new. Even with a Correct Track there is no promise the axles were installed as square to the frame as they should be. Mine weren't, they were both tracking to the left. A real quality alignment cannot be done by an RV dealer as they don't have the equipment or the expertise. The Correct Track is more of a "Band Aid" approach and only allows the adjustment of tracking ie: how square the axles are to the frame as well as each other. It does not not address adjustments for toe and camber. The subject of tires is a whole different story. Tire problems, other than abnormal wear which is usually caused by misalignment, are usually the result of underinflation, driving too fast but most commonly cheap poor quality tires. JMHO...Don

'Lil Guy'

at least with the CTII installed and the extra diam. of tires, I won't be towing with the front wheels off the ground.

Birchwood

I checked into axle alignment mainly because of what I have read on this forum.Inquired at an alignment shop and the guy told me
most trailer axles are out of align and he recommended for me not to waste my money because it will only reoccur.
I think you should rotate your tires annually,balance wheels and keep them properly inflated.Most RV ers will never wear the thread from
their tires anyway before the 5 or 6 year replacement time is due.I did wear one tire mainly because the RV was new and assumed everything
was fine with the tires but they only had 90 psi (should of been 110) and they were not balanced.

GOTTOYS

I checked into axle alignment mainly because of what I have read on this forum.Inquired at an alignment shop and the guy told me
most trailer axles are out of align and he recommended for me not to waste my money because it will only reoccur.
I think you should rotate your tires annually,balance wheels and keep them properly inflated.Most RV ers will never wear the thread from
their tires anyway before the 5 or 6 year replacement time is due.I did wear one tire mainly because the RV was new and assumed everything
was fine with the tires but they only had 90 psi (should of been 110) and they were not balanced.
At $1300.00 for a set of tires, I am going to everything I can to get the most out of them. Had the alignment done a year ago, both axles were off. Had it rechecked this year about 7,500 miles later and they are still aligned properly. My tires are wearing evenly. I see no reason to rotate them if they are wearing evenly, can't see what it would accomplish...I will have have my alignment checked again next year as well. JMHO...Don