First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

donr827

Glad I saw this thread. If we decide to go through with our purchase I will be making sure I go over every inch of the RV and asking to see the dealer inspection paperwork as well. What a nightmare. This is the exact reason I am hesitant...lol

Mark
That is why I did my own very thorough PDI before signing the papers and handing them check. Everything should be fixed before signing.
Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
txPatriot, I think most of the water damage was caused by no one checking the faucet in the outside kitchen. When the water was turned on with all the faucets on and sink stoppers in place and closed. They did shut off all the faucets inside, but did not shut of the outside kitchen fauset which flooded the rear of the coach. The freezing weather, water soaked wood really did some damage. SO...who is responsible for this...Heartland, the dealer or the owner. As far as I know a Gateway is NOT a 4 season coach. N. Dakota is not Florida in the winter time. As far as the black tank issue....no one knows if it was full of water when delievered and cracked the tank. The last time Nicole responded to this thread, no one has even tried to do any repairs making things even worse. She has been in contact with the dealer several times, but it seems everyone is just sitting on their hands and doing nothing to solve the problem. There something in the law about mitigating your damage. I hope they get the coach fixed, but it takes 2 to tango. JMHO

jimtoo

You should always do your own inspection (PDI). There are several PDI list floating around giving you a item by item list of things to check when you go for your PDI. A lot of folks even video the inspection so they can check back on things. Your unit should be hooked to power, water and sewer so you can test all systems.

I'll bet that when you bought the truck or car you didn't just take the salesman's word that it was full of fuel and the floor mats were there...you looked at the fuel gauge and floor didn't you...

jbeletti

Last I checked in with Heartland on this, they were working with the owners and a mobile servicer to get out to their location and take care of whatever was warranty work. I don't have any updates though. The owner has used the Heartland Facebook page more than this thread to "seek help" and "get the word out". I'm sincerely hopeful that they're "in a better place" with regard to the operation of their RV than they were when this was first posted.

DocFather

Someone had started a "Group Message" earlier this week and I listed a dozen items I wished I had known about prior to taking possession at my 4100. Somehow it has disappeared or I just don't know where to find it.

1_oldgoat

Mark,
The problems with this RV are not normal, if you check.with most new Gateway owners you will see most issues are minor, nothing close to what has happened to Nicole and her family, also if you read this thread from the start, the way the fw was bought is far from the norm as well. I have never dealt with the dealership they bought the Gateway from but would suspect they sold a faulty unit knowingly, thinking they would never see it or have to deal with repairs, i may be completely off base with that assumption, just saying......
I do feel for Nicole and her family and all the trouble they have had, but i do not see how Heartland is to blamed in this mess. Jmho
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Dieseldogsdad!! Had to laugh, man you tell it like it is here, no filter whatsoever, i like that quality in a person....
Not much new here other than Jim from Heartland saying they are working on it, and no more from Nicole after i ask why she chose the Gateway for their new RV, so it looks like she is done with the forum already......to bad, its a great way to get information and meet some very smart people.
Just wanted to let you know i.enjoyed reading your comments!
Marcus

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
This is a great thread that can show the following to all of us that are new to the world of RVing:

- Always do a thorough inspection of any RV that you are planning on buying!
- Check for feedback or BBB ratings on the dealer you are buying from
- Perform a "trial run" with your RV ASAP to identify any issues early. Drive it on the highways and side streets, etc
just like you would on a vacation
- Make sure you check into an extended warranty, and understand what it and your factory warranty cover
- Make sure you know what is expected of you in the event of a problem
- Make sure you have up to date manuals for everything in your RV, and then READ THEM!
- Make sure you understand the process for returning to a dealer for warranty service
- Make sure you have all service, etc phone numbers that you need
- Get a camera or video recorder! There is nothing worse than someone that cannot explain the problem, when a simple picture would do
The video camera can come in handy when you are doing your walk through PDI and learning what everything is. You may forget something
nothing better than a video to go back to!
- Don't just sit on a problem and let it grow.
- Be proactive and look for issues when they are small, so they won't become huge!
- Know the limitations of your RV. If it's not rated for all season living it may not be a good idea to take it to the arctic tundra!
- Make sure and keep accurate records of everything!
- Try and remain calm.......okay, not sure anyone that has issues learns this...EVER...lol :rolleyes:

Mark