Help - Slide Room Stuck in Out position

I am stuck trying to retract/extend my living room slide. It will retract about 6 inches and stop. The motor, however, continues to run but makes a loud knocking sound. I can’t find any documentation or specific information in my owners manual or on the website regarding the slide and my particular coach... or any info on manual override, etc. I don’t know if it is a track alignment problem, or if I should keep holding the button in while the motor knocks-- and don’t want to do so until I know for certain for fear of causing more damage (if any). I do notice that the chain/cable does not move any longer when the slide stops retracting, even though the motor still runs… My dealer is closed until the new year, and no one is answering the phone today at Heartland... (December 26)

Is there anyone out there who can help????

Jonathan Moore
2015 Heartland Wilderness 3175RE

danemayer

Re: Help -- Stuck

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry your having this problem. Sounds like you have an electric motor driven slide. If the motor is making a knocking sound, it may have a clutch that is slipping because there's a bind in the slide mechanism, or something is in the way, preventing it from moving.

We have some manuals posted in the Manuals section of the forum. Here's a link. I don't know if this is the type you have, but even if not, it may give you some idea of how to proceed. Here's a link to Lippert manuals - one of which is for electrics.

Another way to get help is to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. If everyone isn't out for the holidays, someone might be able to give some guidance.

And of course other owners will likely see this post and may have more specific advice.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If you have a ratchet strap, you might be able to pull the slide in with that. Hook one end to the frame and the other to the spot under the slide where the track is attached to the underside of the slide near the outer wall. But first, make sure there isn't anything inside that's gotten in the way of the slide.

Manual overrides on electric slides usually entail getting access to the motor somehow and using an electric drill to spin the motor via a small port at the rear of it. It sounds like your motor is working, not the drive unit.

Don't know if these will help you, but the photos are of an electric bedroom slide set up, taken at the 2013 Plant Tour.

GOTTOYS

Try pushing it in with 2-3 people while the motor is running...Don't know if that will work or not but it might be worth a try. You could also see if anyone will answer the phone at an independent repair service. A lot of those people work out of their homes...Good luck..Don

jimtoo

I have got to ask... did you check on top of the slide??? If your close to any trees anything that could have dropped on top of the slide to keep it from coming in.. it doesn't take much. Also look under the slide inside,, also outside under it getting bound up in the gears... might be something binding it there. Just asking.. :)

Jim M

whp4262

The knock from the motor is probably either the chain jumping on the sprocket or the gears in the gearbox. I would look for something binding the slide first and go from there. Also watch to make sure the slide is going in straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk