Understanding the various "weight" restrictions

TxCowboy

Had a question or two about the various weight limitations so thought I'd post it here. Mods, please move if this thread should be posted elsewhere.

Here's the data from my RV as the basis of comparison:

GVWR 13,900 lbs.
Max Cargo 3,564 lbs.
GAWR 6,000 lbs.

My 5er has a GVWR of 13,900 pounds. No worries, I understand GVWR --it is the "thou shalt not exceed ever" weight limit.

There is also a max cargo weight restriction of 3564 pounds.

QUESTION ONE: In addition to all of your personal items, does this cargo weight limit also include the fluids in your holding tanks? A full load of water is 473 pounds per the data provided on my RV.

Estimated King Pin weight should be 10 to 15 percent of the actual trailer weight. At max GVWR, that would equate to 1,390 to 2,085 pounds. Therefore, at max GVWR of 13,900 and using the worst case scenario of a 1,390 pound king pin weight, the remaining weight of the RV should not exceed 12,510 pounds.

But wait.

QUESTION TWO: Doesn't that exceed the GAWR (12,510 / 2 = 6,255 per axle)?

QUESTION THREE: What am I missing from this equation?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It is not safe to estimate the pin weight of your rig.
In all likelihood it will be over your 2,085 pound estimate and more like 20%, or around 2500 pounds.
You really should find a CAT scale at a truck stop. Then weigh your truck and RV together (hitched) to get the total weight and truck weight, then weigh the truck only and do the math to get your true pin weight.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

6000 lb axles times 2 axles is 12,000 lbs. the rest is assumed to be on the pin. Your actual pin weight depends on how much you load inthe RV. Probably more than the 15% you stated. Mine, for example, is 3400 lbs. My Big Horn GVWR is 14,000 lbs, (actual weight 14,350) but I upgraded the axles to 7000 lbs each. My pin is closer to about 23%. 25% is the understood limit.

pegmikef

Question One. The cargo weight includes all the fluids plus anything that was added after it left the factory such as propane tanks, batteries and any dealer added options. Look on the entry door frame for a yellow sticker and it will tell you what the actual dry weight was when it left the factory which will probably be different than the label on the side of your trailer. Dependent of the options added at the factory this value will also reduce your cargo weight because the GVWR won't change.

AAdams

You are assuming 10% pin. Worst case is actually 25% pin. Recalculate with 20% 13900x.2=2780 13900GVWR-2780Pin=11120 11120/2= 5560 per axle. You will be under you GAWR. So it is all going to depend how you load the trailer. Yes you can load it to exceed the axle rating, you can also load so you don't.

Birchwood

Pin weight is usually 20% or with your rig 2780 lbs.Therefore 13900 - 2790 = 11110 lbs or 5555lb per axle

Jim.Allison

Perhaps this has already been stated. Weigh your rig wet and loaded for travel. This is the only way, ESPECIALLY for SWR trucks.