Thread: "Dry Weight" of Landmark exceeds listed axle (s) capacity--should I discuss with Heartland?

1. Print this Post   #1

"Dry Weight" of Landmark exceeds listed axle (s) capacity--should I discuss with Heartland?

The quoted axle ( 2) rating on the sticker on my Landmark is 7,000 lbs each--yet the dry weight of my Landmark is the 14,100 LBS ( also on the sticker). Although I have not weighed my Landmark "loaded" I assume I am close to 15,000 lbs--which obviously exceeds the total axle capacity. Should I be concerned/contact my dealer/Heartland?

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: "Dry Weight" of Landmark exceeds listed axle (s) capacity--should I discuss with Heartland?

Hi Rharvey742,

You need to stop and think... some of the weight goes on the hitch. Normally about 20-25 percent of the gross weight of your 5er is on the fifth wheel hitch. So if your close to 15,000lbs ,, then aprox 3000# is on the hitch leaving only aprox 12,000 lbs on the axles.
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    Disc Brakes
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information

3. Print this Post   #3
    New York Chapter Leaders - retired murry135's Avatar

Re: "Dry Weight" of Landmark exceeds listed axle (s) capacity--should I discuss with Heartland?

The above is true how ever how do you explain when the unit is off the TV and stationary? Now load it up and you are way over the axel rating. I undestand that this is an industry standard for axel rating and use but it boggles the mind.
    Darling wife "Colleen"
    3 wonderful kids; Rinne, Jaimee and Joe
    Faithful Companion; Samson (Rottie) RIP-Hanna 2003-2017
    2012 Ford F350 SD DRW Lariat Ultimate Package, Golden Bronze, Crew Cab, 6.7L Diesel 4WD, American Truck Workbox Bed Cover, Air Lifter 5000 Air bags with wireless remote fill, Reese Elite Series 18K for Ford factory prep 5th wheel in bed package, MOR/ryde HD Hitch, MOR/ryde IS w/Disc Brake package,Thousand Trails member

Rallies:
    2014 - April Summit Outting, NJ Rally, National Rally Urbanna VA, Ontario Canada Chapter Rally, Northeast Region Rally, PA Rally, MD Rally and NY Rally.
    2015 - Spring Kickoff Rally Lancaster, National Rally Goshen IN, Maryland Rally Woodbine MD, Northeast Rally Copake NY, NY Rally Verona NY.
    2016 - Spring Kickoff Campout Lancaster, Mifflinberg PA, Ontario Canada, Cherry Hill MD, Northeast Region Rally New Holland PA and Lake George NY.
    2017 - Gettysburg PA, National Rally Elkhart IN,

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by murry135 View Post
    The above is true how ever how do you explain when the unit is off the TV and stationary? Now load it up and you are way over the axel rating. I undestand that this is an industry standard for axel rating and use but it boggles the mind.
    When the unit is off the tow vehicle, the pin weight is on the front landing gear instead of on the hitch.

Try thinking about lifting something heavy by yourself, versus lifting it with help from a friend. Once the friend grabs hold, you're no longer carrying all the weight.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

It's called weight distribution. Your 5er is a "teeter totter". If the axles were all the way to the rear of your trailer...that would be a different story. Then 1/2 the weight would be on the pin like a semi trailer. Short answer, what ever your pin weight is...it will either be on the hitch or front landing gear. It will never be all on the axles.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

6. Print this Post   #6
    New York Chapter Leaders - retired murry135's Avatar

You now that is why I like this forum. I fogot that when the unit is parked the landing gear takes the weight off the axels, DUH!
    Darling wife "Colleen"
    3 wonderful kids; Rinne, Jaimee and Joe
    Faithful Companion; Samson (Rottie) RIP-Hanna 2003-2017
    2012 Ford F350 SD DRW Lariat Ultimate Package, Golden Bronze, Crew Cab, 6.7L Diesel 4WD, American Truck Workbox Bed Cover, Air Lifter 5000 Air bags with wireless remote fill, Reese Elite Series 18K for Ford factory prep 5th wheel in bed package, MOR/ryde HD Hitch, MOR/ryde IS w/Disc Brake package,Thousand Trails member

Rallies:
    2014 - April Summit Outting, NJ Rally, National Rally Urbanna VA, Ontario Canada Chapter Rally, Northeast Region Rally, PA Rally, MD Rally and NY Rally.
    2015 - Spring Kickoff Rally Lancaster, National Rally Goshen IN, Maryland Rally Woodbine MD, Northeast Rally Copake NY, NY Rally Verona NY.
    2016 - Spring Kickoff Campout Lancaster, Mifflinberg PA, Ontario Canada, Cherry Hill MD, Northeast Region Rally New Holland PA and Lake George NY.
    2017 - Gettysburg PA, National Rally Elkhart IN,

7. Print this Post   #7

My pin weight is at least 3,500#. Most of that is held in the cargo bays (big inverter, 4 big batteries, generator, and lots of heavy stuff. I pull out things I don't need to carry each fall before departing MT to keep from going over the 16,500# GVWR. That leaves me with 13,000 on the two 7,000# axles and 19,000# rated tires/wheels. I would feel better if I replaced the axles with 8,000# axles, but I watch suspension and bearings closely.
    Marv & Connie Marcy, Polson, MT
    2012 LM Key Largo
    2001 Volvo class 7 hdt, ISX 450/1650, Super 10sp, ET air hitch
    Mostly MT, CO, NC & Key West
    USAF Retired
    Rvers since 1979, fulltime since 2000

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rharvey742 View Post
    The quoted axle ( 2) rating on the sticker on my Landmark is 7,000 lbs each--yet the dry weight of my Landmark is the 14,100 LBS ( also on the sticker). Although I have not weighed my Landmark "loaded" I assume I am close to 15,000 lbs--which obviously exceeds the total axle capacity. Should I be concerned/contact my dealer/Heartland?

So are the Landmarks back to adding pin capacity to the GVW?
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

9. Print this Post   #9
    Director of Owners Interests, Heartland RVs

Quote Originally Posted by porthole View Post
    So are the Landmarks back to adding pin capacity to the GVW?
    Duane - to my knowledge, no change has been made to the way we account for weight on our products. Rare is the time that we axle/spring our 5th wheels for the full GVWR of the coach "as a standard". Pin weight has always been factored into how we axle/spring the units.

This said, all LM 365 products come standard with 8k axles / springs and 17.5" tires / wheels. This is due to the GVWR increasing to 17.x k. So in the case of LM 365, pin weight is still factored into how we axle/spring LM 365.

Not sure if this helps answer your question. If not, please rephrase your question and I will try to get a better answer.
    Jim Beletti

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides