• I have a Single Rear Wheel Truck and a Class A CDL

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • I have a Single Rear Wheel Truck and a Class A non-CDL

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I have a Single Rear Wheel Truck and a normal license

Votes: 86 36.6%

• Total voters

AAdams

Glad I am a South Dakota resident, they exempt RV's from needing a CDL or NON-CDL Class A or anything other than a regular license. Under Texas Law, where we are visiting now, my truck 14,000 and trailer 18,000 I would need Class A instead of my regular license.

Jim.Allison

I don't think there is a relationship between a Class B driving a school bus and a Class A driving a combination 26001 or more. More is the key word, the class A will let you drive an 80,000 lb combination. So that is the difference. I think I see clearly your point. We value our children and it would seem that if you were licensed to drive a bus then certainly you should be licensed to drive a combination as outlined in a class a. I see your line of thinking, I just don't think the state thinks its similar.

But the directive to the licensing guidelines is to facilitate licensing. I cant remember the exact verbiage but the upshot was that the laws and regulations were to facilitate and foster licensing so as not to make it impossible for people to be licensed to drive trucks and buses.

But in support of your comment, I have known professional truck drivers with class A, that I would not trust to drive a school bus, and I'm sure you have seen them on the road too. LOL. I don't think there is a relationship between the two subjects.

Thanks, that helps us Texans. In our case truck + fiver are under 26001, even though fiver is over 10000. DW has a class B for work. I'd be curious why the class B, which lets him drive a bus full of kids, would not let him pull a fiver combo over 26001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We value our children and it would seem that if you were licensed to drive a bus then certainly you should be licensed to drive a combination as outlined in a class a. .

I agree with above... but I see the way the law is written it keeps the licenses very specific for their target.

No worries yet, till we upgrade the truck and trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
A bus is completely different that driving a Combination tractor trailer. The bus is basically a extra long bob tail.

scottyb

For what it's worth, I found the process of studying for the Class A test to be a enlightening experience, especially since I needed to take the air brake endorsement. It never hurts to refresh what we already know and to learn something new. Another issue to consider is insurance.....If in an accident and you do not have the proper license to cover your vehicle it could pose a problem.

I assume you were going for a CDL? Air brakes is not an endorsement, it is a restriction, and only applies to CDL. If you don't take the Air Brake segment, it will be shown on your license as a restriction. Once you pass the air brake segmnet, it is removed. If you get a non CDL Class A or B, there is no Air Brake restriction.

Texas CDL Restrictions (37 TAC 16.11)
L – vehicles without air brakes. This restriction applies only to vehicles requiring a commercial driver license
(CDL). The licensee is restricted to operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) which does
not have air brakes.
M – CDL intrastate commerce only. The licensee is restricted to operating a CMV in intrastate commerce
only and may not drive in interstate commerce.
P – Personal Restrictions. The licensee is restricted to operating a motor vehicle as per the restriction
stated on the driver license.
Y – Valid Texas vision or limb waiver required.
Z – Valid Federal vision, limb, or diabetes waiver required.

For California resident's if your going to tow a 5th wheel with a GVWR over 15000 pounds you must have a class A non-commercial or commercial class A license. If you are pulled over without one the Highway Patrol will impound your vehicle and slap you with a huge fine for driving out of class. You will need to find a properly licensed driver in order to retrieve your vehicle.
I just finished passing my tests this past Friday. According to the California DMV recreational vehicle handbook this should be a simple process, e.g. take a short written test, simple pre-trip check, basic driving skills test (go around a cone without hitting it, back in a strait line, and be able to park in a camping space), plus a road drive test.
I did a bit af research before going in to the West Sacramento DMV office to take my scheduled test. I had been told they give the same pre-test and skills test for non-commercial and commercial. Meaning no special tests for RV'ers.
Pre-test was way over board, probably close to 100 items to be checked and if you miss ten they send you home. Here's an example of 2 points I missed. I said check shocks an fan belt. He marked me down two points for those items for not specifying what I was checking them for, leaks for shocks, and cracks for belts.
For the skills test I had to back strait through cones setup at 12' apart. Next do an off-set lane change backing up to the blind side again into a two rows of cones spaced 12' apart in width. The last test was make a 90 degree backing park into two rows of cones again spaced 12' apart in width. The rear of the trailer had to stop within 3' of a line in the back. My 36' 5th wheel and Chevy truck are not designed to make the last maneuver in the width of the area provided to make the turn. Tractor trailers have a much sharper turning radius. I made it in my second and final attempt by hugging the drivers side trailer wheels to within 2 inches of the cone so that the rear of the trailer would swing around without crossing the boundary line on the other side while I was completing the turn.
This is not the way they are suppose to be testing and I really think it stinks. I'm glad it's over and I have my license. Last note when I showed up for my first appointment they would not allow me to test. I had to reschedule and come back with a class A licensed driver. That cost me $300 to get a truck driver to accompany me.
There are a lot of folks out here not aware of this silly requirement. The CHP has been made aware and are suppose to be stepping up their enforcement beginning this year.
All Big Horn models in 2016 are rated at over 15000 GVWR. California dealers are selling them to customers and allowing them to drive away without informing them of the requirement. Shame on you California Dealers. Not a nice surprise to discover aftewards. I would have bought something else even though we really like our rig. This was not worth the effort and stress.

B

BouseBill

Yep living in Kalifornia sucks, glad I left when I was 17. Maybe when the State of Jefferson comes into being, I'll move there, but NOT till then.;)

I have my skills test appointment here in El Cajon, CA in March for the class A non commercial license. I had a Cdl for forty years I let go just before retirement. The pre-trip and skills test should go well unless I lose my mind. As mentioned above finding a licensed copilot to be with you when you test can be a challenge. I called the local CHP office and asked if a person who has a drivers license from a state where they have no restrictions for RV's could accompany me as my copilot. They said if they could legally drive the rig in California they could be my copilot. My neighbor here at the park has a South Dakota licence pulls a 20k 5er with a DWR truck said they'll go with me. I'll be taking another neighbor with a AZ Cdl. I'm going to follow up with the folks at the Cdl test site next week to see if their on the same page as the CHP. I'll post what they say. If they have no issues it would make it a lot easier to get a copilot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think they ignore anything. If an out of state Rv is pulled over for speeding or whatever I'm sure they can check licensing restrictions from their state. Odds are it's probably slim to none.

avvidclif

I don't think they ignore anything. If an out of state Rv is pulled over for speeding or whatever I'm sure they can check licensing restrictions from their state. Odds are it's probably slim to none.

Considering the current speed limits if you get pulled over for speeding while pulling an RV you need a sanity check, not drivers license.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Considering the current speed limits if you get pulled over for speeding while pulling an RV you need a sanity check, not drivers license.

I'm always amazed that when I keep our speed at 65 MPH or lower . . . the number of RV's that pass us like we are parked!

B

BouseBill

Trailer speeds in the PRC is 55 MPH, on any road, including I-5, so it would be possible to get a ticket for going 61MPH.