• I have a Single Rear Wheel Truck and a Class A CDL

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • I have a Single Rear Wheel Truck and a Class A non-CDL

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I have a Single Rear Wheel Truck and a normal license

Votes: 86 36.6%

• Total voters

JanAndBill

Worse yet. It's 26,000 GCWR, where GCWR means GVWR truck + GVWR trailer, not GCWR truck.

And it gets even worse if your state doesn't exempt RVs. The determining factor is if your GCVWR "by the manufacturer" is greater than 26,000# AND your trailer is in excess of 10,000# regardless of your total weight, then you need CDL (non commercial). According to the 2016 specs from Ford ALL one ton trucks and above with dual rear wheels exceed the 26000# GCVWR limit. Therefore, say the actual curb weight of your 2016 Ford was 9,000# and your trailer weighed in at 15,000#, giving you a combined weight of 24,000#, because Ford says your truck is rated for 32,000# GCVWR and your trailer is in excess of 10,000 # you still need a non commercial CDL. Bad thing is I fear this is going to become prevalent across the country, as rigs get bigger.

avvidclif

No such thing as a Non-commercial CDL. CDL stands for Commercial Drivers License. There is a Class A, B, & C drivers license and each can be commercial or non-commercial.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Those that like to research, can you answer this? Tony has a Class B here in TX to drive a school bus. What will he need to do to get the Class A? How will his license change? Not guesses, just wondering if someone knows or can track down a real answer. Our local TXDOT office seems very confused in our dealings with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Erika,

It's been 5 years, but if things are the same, he'll have to fill out the application for either a Class-A non-commercial, or for a CDL.

There are 6 test modules if I remember correctly. He'll have taken one general as part of the Class B. So he probably has to take the other 5 modules.

There's a road test that includes a vehicle walk-around/inspection. I don't know if you can use your rig, or if you need a tractor trailer with air brakes. For a non-commercial Class A, maybe your rig will do. You might have to talk to one of the examiners at a test center to find out what they'll accept.

The attached study guide is made from the sample questions in each module of the CDL Handbook. If you read the handbook and use the study guide, it should be pretty easy to pass the tests. The questions won't be identical, but they cover the same ground.

Attachments

• CDL Questions from Handbook.pdf
    632.4 KB · Views: 10

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
In the Commercial Driver's Handbook in the prologue section, it plainly states that a recreational vehicle that is driven for private use is not required to have a CDL. Link

TravelTiger

In the Commercial Driver's Handbook in the prologue section, it plainly states that a recreational vehicle that is driven for private use is not required to have a CDL. Link

Jay, this always confuses me because a Class-A (non-commercial?) license seems to be clearly required based on the weight of our trucks+trailers.

Tony's Class B has endorsement for Passengers and School Bus.

avvidclif

No big deal. Get a CDL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I gave up my CDL when they started requiring a current medical certificate and a statement of who you were driving for or that you were looking for work. That was $75 for the certificate every 2 years plus the license was abt 4 times as much as a regular Class A. There were also several other gotcha's.

You say get a CDL. Can you parallel park your RV? Required in Tx to parallel park to pass.

jimtoo

I gave up my CDL when they started requiring a current medical certificate and a statement of who you were driving for or that you were looking for work. That was $75 for the certificate every 2 years plus the license was abt 4 times as much as a regular Class A. There were also several other gotcha's.

You say get a CDL. Can you parallel park your RV? Required in Tx to parallel park to pass.

Same here. I had a CDL from the time I was about 18. Then when they changed things around... I didn't need it anymore. Still have my motorcycle endorsement thou.

Jim M

JanAndBill

The class A and CDL designation, are somewhat interchangeable here in our state, the only difference being in how you certify your use. At least 10 days prior to renewing your "class A, B or C" license you are required to file a certification with the state on how you will use your license that has 4 categories. 1. Non-excepted Interstate - subject to the requirements of 49 CFR, part 391, requires DOT medical card to be carried, 2. Excepted Interstate - operation under the exceptions listed in 49CFR, no DOT medical card required, 3. Non-excepted Interstate with Waiver - operations in interstate but your license has medical waiver, no DOT medical card required, and 4. Excepted Interstate - operating exclusively in transportation exempted from driver qualification requirements.

Because of my membership in a volunteer fire department, I had used the #2 option since 2007, which covers state and municipal vehicles, however this last time I switched over to #4, which to me seems to be a duplication for my use. Currently hold a Class A,M,V with bus and passenger endorsements. I dropped the hazmat, double, and tank endorsement many years ago. Other than a slightly higher cost there is no other difference between holding the Class A or D so I'll hang on to the A's for awhile.

Bohemian

In what state? When RVS are exempt from the Class A requirements it is due to a state exemption.

danemayer

In what state? When RVS are exempt from the Class A requirements it is due to a state exemption.

This has been discussed extensively in the past. Jay linked to the Texas CDL Handbook. Yes, RVs are exempt from the CDL requirement (personal use only). BUT, there is a similar Class A (non-commercial) license. That is required for certain weight classes and RVs are not exempt.

From the Texas DPS website:
NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
and
CLASS A
Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
  2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C

Most 5th wheels have a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs. Most Bighorns are 15-16,000 lbs. Add the GVWR of a dually, and you'll easily have a combined GVWR over 26,000 lbs.

And of course, there doesn't seem to be any enforcement of the Class A requirement. Which is not quite the same as saying it's not required. Enforcement could start at any time, without notice. But probably won't.

JanAndBill

The link is for the Texas "Commercial Drivers License Requirements", however this doesn't preclude the operator from conforming to the requirements of the DMV for "type" of vehicle they will be operating. From the Texas DMV:

The class of a Texas driver license is determined by the:
  1. Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway
  2. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
  3. Number of passengers the vehicle can hold

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I received my CDL back 20 years ago in Wisconsin. And when I switched over to South Dakota they also gave me a CDL lisence. So if you have one it is smart to not give it up. I did give up the Hazmat endorsement when they began requiring a fingerprint card as I could not make an appointment. But I really don't need it for my F450 and 41 foot fifth wheel. But if I ever do, I can always just get printed and take the test. No road test required.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Well, if I'm determined to learn to tow this beast, I guess I better get studying for the Class A. Will still need to figure out what Tony needs to do exactly, I did read you cannot hold two different licenses so there has to be an add-on to his B.

danemayer

I did read you cannot hold two different licenses so there has to be an add-on to his B.

I think it'll be a replacement for the Class B, with an endorsement for passenger bus.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if I'm determined to learn to tow this beast, I guess I better get studying for the Class A.

The study guide I attacher earlier doesn't include the base test that I think is based on Chapter 14 of the 2010 handbook, "Special Requirements". The current handbook may have renamed/reorganized/otherwise changed things, but the content is probably very similar.

JanAndBill

Well, if I'm determined to learn to tow this beast, I guess I better get studying for the Class A. Will still need to figure out what Tony needs to do exactly, I did read you cannot hold two different licenses so there has to be an add-on to his B.

Quick search showed that TX like AL distinguishes between classes based on the GCVWR and the Gross Weight of the trailer pulled. You need a Class A if your truck GCVWR is in excess of 26000# and your trailer weight is in excess of 10,000#, you need a Class B if your truck GCVWR exceeds 26000# and your trailer weight is less than 10,000#. If you hold a license in one class, it qualifies you for any class under you.

SilverRhino

Obtaining the Class A license in Texas is not a big deal. If you read the sections required for the Class A in the manual for the CDL license you will do fine on the written test. Most everything on the exam is common sense and the rest are just knowing about some special laws for trucks. The driving test was also very easy, simple pre-trip inspection, driving under some different conditions and then being able to back up your trailer in a straight line.

I had a few extra steps in my pre-trip test due to having air brakes, but I really over studied. Just be familiar with the CDL manual sections and you will do fine.