12 volt panel meter

Bob Vaughn

This is the 12volt panel meter I installed this weekend in my Big Country 3250TS to watch battery health...
Volt meter.jpg

wdk450

I got something about 1/2 that size off of E-Bay for about $3.00, but wired it in to the "Test" switch on the systems (Tanks) monitor. When I push the "Test" switch, the 12 volt digital display comes on.

branson4020

Icantre Member
The remote panel for my solar charge controller displays my battery voltage. So does the remote panel for my inverter, if I turn it on. I agree it's very useful to be able to see the actual voltage.

porthole

Retired
I'm using a similar cheap eBay voltmeter in the front compartment, wired to the battery with an on-off switch. Stays on all season

Another nice thing about the level-up system is that you can display the battery status.

I have found that my Level Up typically displays .5-.6 volts less then any other volt meter I use, which in turn tends to occasionally give a low voltage stop of leveling. Although my of my low voltage issues stopped when I increased the wiring for the pump to 2 gauge

Meter and 2 gauge here

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=329212&viewfull=1#post329212

Jim.Allison

I have a Bogart Trimetric now, but I once had an old multimeter taped inside the door of my battery cabinet. I wired it in permanently. It was annolog, but it was very accurate, and since I dragged it out of my tool box it did not cost anything. Radio Shack is a great source for components, if you know what you are looking for.

avvidclif

I have a Bogart Trimetric now, but I once had an old multimeter taped inside the door of my battery cabinet. I wired it in permanently. It was annolog, but it was very accurate, and since I dragged it out of my tool box it did not cost anything. Radio Shack is a great source for components, if you know what you are looking for.

Past tense, Radio Shack.

Bob Vaughn

Not all Radio Shacks closed.....the one by my house is open but the one in the mall and on the hwy is closed....

avvidclif

Look at ebay item # 310995957137 it will remotely monitor the battery voltage and current draw for less than $12. I e-mailed and asked if it would measure both positive(charging) and negative(discharging) current draw but have not gotten a response back yet. I know it should.

Jim.Allison

Thats a great price and it comes with a shunt also.

My Bogart is complicated and did not come with a shunt, and cost quite a bit more.

The guys on the net that have written about, and illustrated their solar installs, did not have the selections we have today, so you have to take the components that they use and recommend with a grain of salt. Thats why I own a Bogart, rather than one of the newer designs.

Our systems need easier to use interfaces because we don't use our rigs everyday, it a learning experience every time we take our rigs out.

Here is a link to the PDF datasheet to go along with your Amazon link. There is a lot of information that can be extracted from that device.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Ac...ttery-Monitor/DS20080912_LinkPRO_LinkLITE.pdf

I originally put in a digital volt meter but them opted for Xantrex battery monitor. It's like a gas gauge for your batteries. It works great and tells me exactly the condition of my batteries.
Check it out here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...ry+monitor&dpPl=1&dpID=41OAxAng74L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Not sure I understand this from the ebay auction

Note: Before using shunt must first access the circuit and then draw digital ammeter head to prevent pressure damage to the meter :rolleyes: