Air Compressor Recommendations

pjberny5

Just upgraded from the Tow Max to the S637 Saliuns. Looking for a recommendation for an air compressor for ST235/85R16 G Tires 110 Max PSI to carry with us. Would prefer a 12V model do to smaller size and weight.

GWRam

Just upgraded from the Tow Max to the S637 Saliuns. Looking for a recommendation for an air compressor for ST235/85R16 G Tires 110 Max PSI to carry with us. Would prefer a 12V model do to smaller size and weight.

We have the Viair 450P. Fills our J rated 125psi tires great. 12V small and lite with a handy carry bag.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We also use the Viair 450P and love it!! Very portable and does not take up much room.

oscar

Nice toys but expensive. I have a 150 psi pancake compressor from Harbor Fright which cost me $120...... I fire up the genny if I'm not plugged in.

pjberny5

Thanks for the info. Not sure I want to spend the $$$ on a nice Viair. Not looking to fill tires from zero to 110psi. Looking for the ability to add a few pounds of air when checking tire pressure if they are a little low from temperature or elevation changes or simply loosing a few lbs after sitting for a while. I.E. 95lbs to 105lbs.

oscar

Thanks for the info. Not sure I want to spend the $$$ on a nice Viair. Not looking to fill tires from zero to 110psi. Looking for the ability to add a few pounds of air when checking tire pressure if they are a little low from temperature or elevation changes or simply loosing a few lbs after sitting for a while. I.E. 95lbs to 105lbs.

Problem is, those are the hardest pounds to get in there. Only a quality 12V compressor will do the job, a "toy" will take forever, IF it even gets there, no matter what it says on the box. 120V units get there for a lot less $$.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would not consider the Viair to be a "toy." And it will easily top off your tires to 110psi. If you lug a genny everywhere, then taking up more storage space with a pancake compressor may be for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

Between the Viair and pancakes. It's a space vs weight vs $$..
I was surprised at how many pancakes max out at 100psi.. Viair is 10lbs vs 39lbs for one pancake I looked up. another was 78lbs. And then there is the size. Viair carry bag, about size of large shoe box VS pancake 19"x19" or larger.. Then the price $247.00 on Amazon for Viair and $150 at harbor freight. All the pancakes I have seen require 120v. It's nice to clip Viair to battery and use.

Just one of the many RV decisions to make... Fun

Pizzaguy

Another reason for the Viair would be if you need air while travelling and not plugged in to shore power. The Viair 300P is a little less expensive option that will also fill the 110 psi tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ladiver

I opted for Viair because of the topping off of my G614 tires (110psi). Many of the compressors out there only get to 100. I went with the Dual444C (link) setup and mounted it to a plate that is mounted to the truck. If I want to remove it from the truck, I disconnect power and one air line, then remove the plate. The whole system remains attached to the plate.

I gotta say that it has saved me at least three times so far. I had a leaky valve stem on one tire. I always make sure my tires are inflated before any trip and use TPMS to make sure they are good through the trip. It does suck when you are ready to leave and find that one tire is flat after just a few days. Good luck finding anyone around with a portable compressor that can get you to 100+psi.

I opted for the larger (200psi, 3.53CFM) compressors with a tank because I will be adding an air horn to the truck. I also like the idea that I can use the air hose to blow dry the truck after a car wash, or blow out the dirt after hauling stuff. A compressor can be used for much more than just filling tires!

pegmikef

Problem is, those are the hardest pounds to get in there. Only a quality 12V compressor will do the job, a "toy" will take forever, IF it even gets there, no matter what it says on the box. 120V units get there for a lot less $$.

My Viair "toy" will take my 614s from 100 psi to 110 psi in around three minutes. I do however run the truck when I am using it. It is less hassle and much faster than my larger compressors.

JohnDar

For my Viair, I ditched the 1/4" plastic hose and got a 50 ft. rubber air hose. That way I don't need to nose the truck up to the rig to get at the tires and it stays flexible in the cold. The hose and the compressor ride nicely in a small tote box in the front corner of the truck bed, there when I need it.

If I need a larger sustained volume of compressed air, I bring my 3 gallon/125psi Makita air nailer compressor (and my Honda 2000 genny). Like when I'm blowing out the plumbing at the storage yard or spraying the MouseFree on the frame at the CG. If I use that compressor to top off the tires, I have to dump the tank some until the compressor kicks in and then attach the chuck to the tire stem. Otherwise, it won't get to 110psi in the tire unless the compressor continues to run.

oscar

I would not consider the Viair to be a "toy." And it will easily top off your tires to 110psi. If you lug a genny everywhere, then taking up more storage space with a pancake compressor may be for you.

Read my post again, I am NOT calling the Viair a toy, au contraire. (that's French). And, I have an Onan 5500 bolted to my frame. The pancake works like a charm.

JohnDar

With the discussion, it sure looks like you were.